Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

End of july wedding in Bibury/Cirencester/Cotswolds. Americans flying over?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16th, 2024, 12:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Two yankees here planning to travel to Cirencester area for a wedding at end of July. Curious what this forum would recommend for what else to do on this trip. I could probably stretch this to 2-3 weeks total. We were last in Europe 7 years ago and trained all over from London to Paris to Amsterdam to Switzerland. We are mid-30's, young and adventurous. Ideally not looking to pay $$$$ for fancy accommodations.

What kind of route is good for summer? Fly into Ireland and then make our way to central England? Start in Cirencester then travel out elsewhere? Head towards France? Head towards Iceland?
Old Jan 16th, 2024, 01:54 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Welcome to Fodors. Unless you simply must hit some other country I'd stick to England plus maybe Wales or a bit of Scotland

The Cotswolds has tons to see do -- either IN the Cotswolds or within reasonable day trips. From Bibury/Cirencester day trips could include: Warwick/Stratford-upon-Avon, Hidcote Manor, Sudeley Castle to the north; Bath, Wells/Glastonbury/Stonehenge to the south/southeast; Tintern Abbey/Chepstow/south Wales, Brecon Beacons,Gloucester to the west; Oxford, Windsor to the east.

That is just from a base anywhere in the Cotswolds

Then there is York/Yorkshire Dales worth several days. Northumberland worth a few days. Edinburgh - same, Edinburgh plus a bit of Scotland as much time as you can have. Cornwall / Devon worth several days.

All of these are without stepping foot in London. So for simple and tons of great sites/scenery -- just stay in the UK
Old Jan 16th, 2024, 01:58 PM

You may also want to start pricing open-jaw/multi-city flights from your airports. I've been watching flights from Chicago to London and also to Tokyo, and am noticing air fares are really not coming down, and I'm looking at shoulder seasons. July/Aug will be pricey, so just be prepared. You may find including multiple countries really expensive. (Paris is hosting the Olympics in the summer, too.)

I've never done it, but flights from Chicago to London via Iceland tend to be a cheaper flight, so lots of folks from here were adding a layover in Iceland a few years back. Also, CHicago to Ireland is sometimes cheaper, but that's RT.
Will be curious to hear how things shape up for you, but England/Scotland/Wales would offer plenty for a holiday.
Old Jan 16th, 2024, 03:28 PM

Sounds wonderful!
I agree that you should get the airfare settled, since you are so open, maybe the best prices and availability will help you shape your route. Where are you coming from?

Definitely stick to Ireland/England/Scotland. The Olympics in Paris are July 26-August 11. You are already competing with people coming in for that and continuing on to their dream destinations, I would think that would include London and affect London flights. I would probably aim for most of my trip before the wedding, to avoid some of this excitement.

Others here will have great advice, I only have experience in Ireland, but that might make your trip too far flung for this trip.