Search

Sailing in BVI

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2nd, 2018, 10:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sailing in BVI

My family (6 adults) has chartered a boat in BVI for a week in December. This is the first time that we will be doing something like this, and was wondering if anyone had any great ideas of where we should visit during our stay. So far our one big idea is The Baths. I think for the most of the group, the sailing is going to be the real adventure, but I know we plan on mooring and exploring some of the islands.

Look forward to hearing from you!
Old Oct 2nd, 2018, 11:13 AM

You might want to post your question on the BVI Forum at TravelTalkOnLine. There are lots of BVI sailing experts there.

Things you should consider whether you sail around the islands in a clockwise or counterclockwise direction and which islands (besides Virgin Gorda where The Baths are located) you want to see and for how long each day you plan to sail between destinations.

Also, it would help if you mentioned which week in December you plan on making the trip. The closer you get to the week between Christmas and New Years the more crowded the various anchorages will get making it sometimes difficult to find a mooring ball if you arrive late in the day.

If you are doing a “crewed charter” your captain will probably have several recommended itineraries you can follow. He’s the expert so it would be wise to heed his advice.

Also, since you are going with a group you should work out in advance how to handle day to day expenses like mooring ball fees, provisioning, supplemental fuel purchases, shore dining and excursions, gratuities, replenishing ice, liquor, refreshments, etc. Consider pooling your funds and appointing one of you “treasurer” or “purser”. That way you’ll avoid disagreements about money.

Have fun.
Old Oct 5th, 2018, 05:50 AM

Our two fav spots in the BVI are the Baths (don't forget to visit adjacent Spring bay beach) and Jost Van Dyke - specifically White bay beach - we visited Jost 15 years ago and I still remember it as if it was yesterday. The Indians is a good snorkeling spot.