BVI Honeymoon Help

Apr 8th, 2010, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

BVI Honeymoon Help

Hi Everyone! I'm planning a honeymoon to the BVI's in December for approx. 8 days and wanted your advice and opinions. I don't know what Island is best for us or where we should stay!

Things we love are great beaches, low-key beach bars and boating/water adventures. Which is why we chose the BVI's. I've been considering Tortola as our "home base" b/c of the accessibility to other islands as day trips. Is this a good choice? Any favorite hotels or recommendations? We don’t want to spend too much on a hotel as we intend on spending our time exploring the islands. Other possibilities include splitting up our time between a two islands.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!
Apr 8th, 2010, 12:27 PM

One thing to keep in mind is that the hotels in the BVI are simply not cheap ... not even the simple and not terribly fancy places, especially during the high season. While the BVI certainly offer the kind of experience you are looking for, they aren't a terribly "budget" destination. For that, you go to an all-inclusive resort in the Dominican Republic or Mexico.

And the best beaches on Tortola are pretty far from Road Town, where you catch most of the ferries for other islands. Don't expect to spend less than $200 per night; the way to save money is to rent a private villa or condo. Prices are high in December; if you can go before 12/15 you'll usually still pay low-season rates. If you go closer to Christmas, expect rates to double. Guavaberry Spring Bay on Virgin Gorda is a nice and very reasonably priced accommodation, but it's even closer to $250 per night in December.

With 8 days, I'd give some thought to splitting the time between Tortola and Virgin Gorda (or Jost Van Dyke if you only want beaches and beach bars because there's literally nothing else on the tiny island ... and Jost Van Dyke has the cheapest and most casual accommodations but is also one of the more isolated islands of the chain).

Finally, consider just chartering a crewed sailboat. For about $3000 per person, you can sometimes find a boat for a week that offers basically an all-inclusive experience and will take you to many little out of the way coves.
Apr 8th, 2010, 12:41 PM
Original Poster

Hi Doug, thanks for the feedback! I've actually contacted a few charter companies to see what they offer - it sounds like such an amazing way to spend our honeymoon! I am hoping to hear back from them.

Price wise I was expecting around $200-250 (and yes our trip is after 12/15, bad timing!). I contacted Myetts in Cane Garden Bay and they were reasonable. Have you been there? I read reviews on trip advisor that sounded good.
Apr 8th, 2010, 03:15 PM

I have not been to myetts but I know that is one of the cheaper places. You might also check out ICIS Villas, but with the caveat that while friends have stayed there and liked it, my writer in the Virgin Islands does not. It's not a fancy place ... And you need a car to stay there.
Apr 8th, 2010, 05:06 PM

You might also want to check out Sebastian's on Tortola--they're between Long Bay and Sugar Mill and their garden view room aren't too pricey. There have been auctions on LuxuryLink.com for Long Bay that you might want to check out--it's possible that they might include December 2010 dates.

For my money, I'd go with Guavaberry on Virgin Gorda, as Doug already mentioned. Although the dining is a little better on Tortola, I like everything else about Virgin Gorda more.
Apr 8th, 2010, 06:13 PM

AZfun- congratulations on your upcoming wedding! I am headed to the BVI's in 2 days for a first trip. I did do a lot of reading and research and I wonder if you might want to look at Fischer's Cove on VG for part of your stay for price and location. What do you BVI experts think of that as a possible match for what they are seeking? Maybe part of the time on VG and part on Jost? Have a great trip!
Apr 8th, 2010, 06:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much! I'll look into that. I checked out Guavaberry and looks great! If we stay in Virgin Gorda can we access the other islands easily? Should we split up the trip? Should we go to the US Virgin Islands too?

I really appreciate the advice! After following the forums the past few weeks I signed up and am so greatful for the feedback!
Apr 9th, 2010, 08:16 AM

If you stay on Virgin Gorda, you can get to Tortola for a day trip, but I don't think Jost Van Dyke is at all easy to access from there, nor are the smaller islands south of Tortola. I still think splitting up the trip is the best option because staying on Virgin Gorda almost requires you to spend at least one night in St. Thomas or Tortola so that you can get back to the airport for your return trip (depending on how you end up flying down there) because of the ferry schedules.

One other option would be a few days on Anegada, which is the most isolated of the islands, though it has excellent snorkeling and beaches but very little else. Ferries there aren't daily but perhaps only weekly or twice-weekly, so you have to be careful in coordinating a visit. But it's a great place if you really want to get away from things.
Apr 9th, 2010, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, great suggestions on where to stay!

Another question, any must see or must do’s?? I'm sure everything is fabulous, but any top picks?
Apr 9th, 2010, 01:31 PM

Tortola is the only easy island to access by ferry from Virgin Gorda, but we used tour operators for day trips to other places. We liked the boat that took us to four snorkeling stops: Peter Island, Norman Island, lunch at the Willy T, the Indians, and the wreck of the Rhone. There are others that will take you to Anegada or Jost for the day or other snorkeling stops that include places like Cooper Island. The boat we took out of VG was called (I think) Cap'n D. Or maybe Big D. It wasn't a sailboat, but there are sailing options, too.

To clarify what I said before about liking VG better than Tortola--I think VG's beaches and the snorkeling are demonstrably, tangibly better, while both the locals and tourists on VG were friendlier, though that's harder to quantify. The entire island felt friendly and laidback and casual, whereas on Tortola there was a subtle vibe I felt that as land-based vacationers and not sailors/yachties, we were second class citizens. It was subtle, and it wasn't everywhere, but it was there.
Apr 9th, 2010, 03:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks ejcrowe! I'm now leaning towards VG based on some other reviews I've read followed up by yours.

Also after watching some other posts I'm seriously considering a few nights on St. John. The reviews are all postive and it seems everyone who goes loves it.

My idea now is to spend a few nights in St. John, a few nights in VG and maybe a night in Tortola. Of course the way it lays out is based on flight times/ferries schedules. I guess I should start another post for that!

Soooo excited about my island adventure!
Apr 9th, 2010, 04:50 PM

AZ Fun- just to add what Doug Stallings and ejcrowe said (and they are BVI experts while I am a BVI newbie but an experienced traveller)- we are leaving Sunday for 8 nights and we will spend one night in Road Town (necessary for ferry travel the next day) then the next 2 nights on Anegada (Neptune's Treasure- very reasonable)and then 5 nights on VG. The ferries to Anegada run only on M-W-F so we had to make some plan adjustments for that but we think we will get a "best of both worlds for laid back travellers" deal- hope it works out well. Just wanted to second the idea of combining those two. We got married and honeymooned on SJ in 2001 so VG seemed closer to that in topography, etc. while Anegada seemed completely different (and I have wanted to go there for 20 years!!). I don't think you can miss regardless of what you choose in the area!
Apr 10th, 2010, 07:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks ishkribbl! I looked up Anegada and it was beautiful! I think I have some tough choices to make, but enjoying it! From everything I've read I know we can't go wrong. I hope you have an amazing time on your trip and hope you post your feedback when you return!!
Apr 10th, 2010, 01:34 PM

have stayed twice at myetts.If you stay there ask for a newer room.Its a great location and the restaurant and bar are very good.Its by no means a 5 or 4 star resort,it is basic accomodations in a nice location.Also you can get ferry service not far on the west end to other islands.There is decent snokeling not far from myetts at smugglers beach.
Apr 10th, 2010, 04:26 PM

Thanks AZfun! Wheels up at 6:00 a.m. tomorrow- can't wait! How do you spell WOOOOO WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!?? I will be sure to let you know what we think when we get back!
Apr 11th, 2010, 03:52 AM

I think splitting a trip between St. John and Virgin Gorda is a great idea. We have done that twice. On St. John, I recommend looking into Estate Lindholm. We had a great stay there. It's a nice b&b that is walking distance via trail (about 15 minute hike) to two gorgeous beaches. With 8 nights, I'd probably limit it to 2 islands though.

St. John and Virgin Gorda are my favorite islands in the Caribbean!

But, I have never been to Anegada and it's high on my list, so it may also be fun to split the trip between Virgin Gorda and Anegada.
Apr 11th, 2010, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Phillyfly for the feedback on Myetts! It looked like just what we're looking for.

Lauren27, I actually have looked up Estate Lindholm and that's high on my list to decide on!

How did you manage your ferry transportation to St. Thomas? Did you find it was easier to go to a certain Island first?
Apr 11th, 2010, 10:46 AM

We flew into St. Thomas on a Saturday, then took the ferry to St. John and stayed there for 5 nights. Then we took the ferry from St. John to Virgin Gorda on a Thursday. (I think ferries only run from St. John to Virgin Gorda on Tues, Thurs and Sat, but check the schedules because that may not be right). We flew out of Tortola and took our hotel's ferry transportation from VG to the Tortola airport. If you do decide to go to St. John and Virgin Gorda, make sure you plan your trip around the ferry schedules since they are limited.
Apr 11th, 2010, 03:36 PM

While the ferry system does dictate your travel, you can still get to Virgin Gorda every day via Tortola. The service is limited from St John and St Thomas. Here is a link to The BVI schedules. You may have to us Tortola as a stepping stone.

http://www.bviwelcome.com/ferries.html

Here is the link to The USVI schedules which includes some BVI's as well.

http://www.vinow.com/general_usvi/interisland_ferry/

It looks complicated, but really not too bad once you get the idea. If you split your time between Virgin Gorda and St John, you could still do a day trip from Virgin Gorda to Anegada. Time (and energy) permitting, you could also do a day trip to Jost Van Dyke from St John. The area is great for island hopping. We have been to St John several times and we always make it a point to get to The BVI's once during our stay.

Here is the link for Guavaberry on Virgin Gorda.

http://www.guavaberryspringbay.com/index.htm
Apr 11th, 2010, 04:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much brenandg for the links and the feedback. We really want to see and do as much as possible and I love the idea of island hoping!

Everyone has been so helpful in helping me narrow down our options! Thanks!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO