I am planning on doing a 1 month solo-trip around mexico. I will most likely fly in and out of Mexico city or Cancun as they have the most attractive airfares. I backpacked through nearly all of Central America last spring. I loved it but the more expensive airfare and the fact that I've been there already are discouraging me from going back, so I decided on Mexico.
I don't feel like rushing around too much this trip and would be happy to stay in one place for up to a week or so. I'm not interested in the resort towns and am hoping to avoid the most touristy areas. I've been to Tikal in Guatemala so ruins are not a priority of mine though I'd be happy to visit some it is not too far off my path.
Ideally I would like to get in some surfing (I'm a beginner/intermediate), maybe some scuba diving, though again not a priority, definitely some beach time, experience some Mexican culture and just chill out a bit. If you guys have any suggestions for towns/cities with lots to do and a good vibe I would love to hear them.
I hope to do this on a backpacker's budget of around 40$ a day, though I am willing to splurge when necessary (eg. Scuba). I would be traveling by bus, staying in hostels and eating street food whenever possible (much to the chagrin of my digestive system). I would love to hear your suggestions of places I should check out. Thanks in advance!!
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 Entertaining young children in Tulum/Akumal
- 2 Two weeks in Panama, a new adventure...
- 3 STAY AWAY FROM AMERICA CAR RENTAL!!
- 4 Wanna be Expats!!! Can we move to Mexico sooner? Work? Elsewhere?
- 5 A WHALE Of A TALE
- 6 Panama made us Panamaniacs, Trip Report Dec/Jan 2015-16
- 7 Fonda Vela
- 8 Need help w/mother/daughter 3 day side excursion
- 9 Belize, Rotaan, Cozumel - WHAT TO DO?? HELP!!
- 10 mexico vs dominican republic vacation
- 11 Privat Tour Options for Chichen itza + Tulum
- 12 Glover's ongoing report on Guatemala, Honduras, and Nicaragua
- 13 Mosquitoes and the Zika virus
- 14 Cancun 7 day trip advice needed
- 15 Driver needed for Panama City
- 16 Costa Rica Cruise - Part 3
- 17 Warm Temp for Snorkling
- 18 Cruise to Costa Rica 2016
- 19 Costa Rica Cruise - Details
- 20 Nicaragua, the new Costa Rica ?
- 21 Help us plan a Mayan Ruins plus Wildlife trip
- 22 Planning ~$1000/person AI vacation from DC
- 23 Help with excursions from Black Rock Lodge
- 24 Visit to Xela, Antigua, Atitlan
- 25 Christmas 2016 (budget)