I am planning on doing a 1 month solo-trip around mexico. I will most likely fly in and out of Mexico city or Cancun as they have the most attractive airfares. I backpacked through nearly all of Central America last spring. I loved it but the more expensive airfare and the fact that I've been there already are discouraging me from going back, so I decided on Mexico.
I don't feel like rushing around too much this trip and would be happy to stay in one place for up to a week or so. I'm not interested in the resort towns and am hoping to avoid the most touristy areas. I've been to Tikal in Guatemala so ruins are not a priority of mine though I'd be happy to visit some it is not too far off my path.
Ideally I would like to get in some surfing (I'm a beginner/intermediate), maybe some scuba diving, though again not a priority, definitely some beach time, experience some Mexican culture and just chill out a bit. If you guys have any suggestions for towns/cities with lots to do and a good vibe I would love to hear them.
I hope to do this on a backpacker's budget of around 40$ a day, though I am willing to splurge when necessary (eg. Scuba). I would be traveling by bus, staying in hostels and eating street food whenever possible (much to the chagrin of my digestive system). I would love to hear your suggestions of places I should check out. Thanks in advance!!
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 Recent Headlines- Cancun
- 2 mexico city and puebla?
- 3 Help with Costa Rica Itinerary- 9 days
- 4 7 day itinerary for Costa Rica
- 5 Costa Maya & Mahahual
- 6 Thanksgiving/Riviera Maya area/All Inclusive
- 7 Family Christmas Vacation in Mexico
- 8 San Jose del Cabo-La Playita Beach
- 9 10 Day Costa Rica
- 10 Family Resort Cancun/Playa
- 11 A week in San Jose Costa Rica
- 12 Trip to Merida - Very Long and Lots of Info on Restaurants
- 13 Cancun to Guatemala
- 14 Trip Report - Yucatan
- 15 Top Mayan Ruins to visit
- 16 San Miguel trivia
- 17 Garza Blanca Preserve -Puerto Vallarta
- 18 Mid September Honeymoon Suggestions Inclusive
- 19 Can a U.S permanent resident driving feom Cancun to Belize City, Belize?
- 20 Need wedding white wine in Costa Rica
- 21 Best time of year for Mexico City/Puebla?
- 22 Playa Del Carmen restaurant
- 23 puerto vallarta
- 24 California Baja
- 25 Family All inclusive Riviera Maya