I'm planning a trip to Munich in May and right now I'm attempting to plan how I want to do the city. The first thing I need to figure out though, is how to get around the city. I've found that they have the Schnellbatnnetz train system, but I'm having trouble finding information about it specifically. If anyone could answer a few questions, I would be much appreciated.
For reference, this is the map I found which I presume is a recent, up-to-date one:
1) I notice that they have an S Bahn and a U Bahn, but I cannot determine the difference between the two, if any.
2) How does one go about purchasing tickets for this system? Can you get them at the stations themselves? Can you pre-load a card? Do they have turnstiles that you use your tickets at to get into the station or does a conductor check them on the train?
3) How much in general would it take to a single ride? Do you pay per ride or by distance traveled?
4) If I missed it, is there a better way to get around the city?
I would be grateful for any help explaining this system.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Techer : SETUP HP /TOshiba TEC*H SUPPORT CONTACT 1:800:681:7208 PRINTER b*g
- 2 Techer : SETUP HP /TOshiba TEC*H SUPPORT CONTACT 1:800:681:7208 PRINTER b*g
- 3 Best Barcelona neighborhood
- 4 Base for Hidcote, etc. from London
- 5 Ireland base towns (and timing) - Connemara/W. Cork?
- 6 Europe Winter Itinerary
- 7 Train/car from Madrid to Toledo tomorrow
- 8 Spain itinerary and railway advise
- 9 Greek honeymoon: He wants sightseeing, she wants beaches
- 10 My Topic Title Edinburgh to Heathrow BA flight on Monday Question?
- 11 Iceland trip report!
- 12 Swimming in Lake Bled?
- 13 Fueled by gluten, caffeine, and alcohol - two weeks in France
- 14 Bernese Oberland
- 15 Itinerary Advice - Dublin to Shannon
- 16 Need help deciphering benefits of Swiss train pass vs German 25% off...
- 17 Switzerland swiss mountain passes so confusing, jungfrou
- 18 Couscous
- 19 Purchasing travel insurance in the UK
- 20 15 days in Denmark / Sweden in May 17
- 21 13 days Sweden-Norway-Denmark itinerary help
- 22 Shortest wait for the Vatican without prebooking online?
- 23 Denmark or Sweden?
- 24 [Needed Recs] Cheap, widely available, good wine in Italy?
- 25 Moscow Favorites