I'm planning a trip to Munich in May and right now I'm attempting to plan how I want to do the city. The first thing I need to figure out though, is how to get around the city. I've found that they have the Schnellbatnnetz train system, but I'm having trouble finding information about it specifically. If anyone could answer a few questions, I would be much appreciated.
For reference, this is the map I found which I presume is a recent, up-to-date one:
1) I notice that they have an S Bahn and a U Bahn, but I cannot determine the difference between the two, if any.
2) How does one go about purchasing tickets for this system? Can you get them at the stations themselves? Can you pre-load a card? Do they have turnstiles that you use your tickets at to get into the station or does a conductor check them on the train?
3) How much in general would it take to a single ride? Do you pay per ride or by distance traveled?
4) If I missed it, is there a better way to get around the city?
I would be grateful for any help explaining this system.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Paris in August
- 2 London, you are my number one now (replacing Paris)
- 3 Getting around London
- 4 HELP: 3rd trip to France - where should I go?
- 5 The DCC scam is spreading
- 6 Paris to Switzerland to Venice in 2 weeks?
- 7 Naxos experts - pros and cons of Kymata vs. Agios Prokopios Hotel
- 8 Help with tips in UK
- 9 When to purchase high speed train tickets?
- 10 Rouen & Paris Anniversary Trip
- 11 MaiTaiTom Gets The Royal Treatment…Two Weeks Exploring London and Scotland
- 12 Jamikins and Bikerscott do Le Marche (Again)
- 13 Children's seat on Nextbike in Wachau Valley?
- 14 European Sampler, 4 weeks, 6 countries?
- 15 Amsterdam Train Help Please!
- 16 5 nights in Granada and Malaga - what combo?
- 17 Scotland itinerary advice
- 18 Tips for 2018 Eastern Europe trip
- 19 Norway for 1 week, ideas for planning
- 20 Help Planning Honeymoon
- 21 Really true that US passport needs 6 months left to enter Schengen zone?
- 22 Places to visit from Zurich
- 23 SURPRISE TRIP
- 24 Long Train Runnin' through the Alps (Switzerland 2016)
- 25 Positano Hotel in September