Reload this Page >

No Bratwurst In Munich?

Search

No Bratwurst In Munich?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12th, 2006, 02:57 AM
Mr_Dreamer

No Bratwurst In Munich?

I was talking to our travel agent yesterday about things to do and eat in Munich and she told me that real fresh bratwurst ( like from Johnsonville ) will be hard to find in a restaurant or street vendor, is that true? She said bratwurst is like a food for farmers not city dwellers and in southern germany it may even offend locals to ask for then. Is she right?

Old Dec 12th, 2006, 03:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you will find all kinda of wurst in munich... biergartens would be your best bet..
Old Dec 12th, 2006, 03:22 AM

>She said bratwurst is like a food for farmers not city dwellers and in southern germany it may even offend locals to ask for then. Is she right?

She has no idea and no idea about the fact that she has no idea.
Bratwurst is the normal "street food" in most German and Swiss cities. The receipes differ though very much, also from city to city. A Bratwurst in Munich will be something completely different from that in Cologne, and this again from the bratwurst in Zürich.
Ask her how often she was in Germany.
And: while in Munich, don't ask for a Weisswurst after 11 am
Old Dec 12th, 2006, 03:28 AM

Claro, she and most TAs are clueless.
M
Old Dec 12th, 2006, 05:36 AM
Mr_Dreamer

I didn't think that sounded right but when she told me she sounded like, she knew what she was talking about. We are so looking forward to beer and brats in a real German biergarden. Thanks for the info.

Old Dec 12th, 2006, 05:39 AM

No Brats in Munich -- Did she also tell you there was no beer in Munich?
Old Dec 12th, 2006, 06:05 AM

I don't know what you mean by bratwurst "from Johnsonville" as I've never been there, but I have been all over Germany. Sausages in Germany come under all sorts of names, denoting their size, content, origin, etc, but there are two basic types: bratwurst is a fried sausage and bockwurst is poached. Bratwurst, of whatever sort, is available everywhere and is a staple of the German diet. I cannot imagine that is likely to change. If you're going to Germany (or any other country), be prepared to eat what the locals eat, but don't worry about what they eat in Johnsonville.
Old Dec 12th, 2006, 06:10 AM

I suggest you stop asking your very ignorant travel agent any questions about Germany. Clearly she doesn't have a clue.
Next she'll be telling you that the Rhine is actually in Spain or that Germany is a vast desert area.
Old Dec 12th, 2006, 06:22 AM

I want my wurst and I want my beer.

And don't you people from Johnsonville or whateverville dare trying to take that away from me!!! Period.
Old Dec 12th, 2006, 06:22 AM
Mr_Dreamer

Jonhsonville is a very popular brand of bratwurst and other sausages where we live. They even have the world largest cooker on wheels that can cook something like 5,000 links at a time! It was just here at the Bikes Blues and BBQ event in Fayetteville,Ar. Sorry I should have made that clearer in my first post.

Old Dec 12th, 2006, 06:53 AM

Whatever you do, when that supposedly ignorant TA gets you over and back to Munich for less than people whining here these days are paying try to forgive the mis-information about the pig guts.
Old Dec 12th, 2006, 07:15 AM
Mr_Dreamer

I will not need to forgive her for anything sir everything pam has done so far for us has been great! I've never called anyone ignorant in my life! What do you mean by pig guts? are you saying bratwurst is made of guts.

Old Dec 12th, 2006, 07:21 AM

In a way, your TA is right. If you expect to find "Johnsonville" brats with the same coarse grind and the same spice blend, you probably won't be able to.

The grinds and flavors vary from region to region and meat vendor to meat vendor. The closest grind will probably be the curried brats street vendors sell. The closest flavor to J-brats will probably look like a very pale, very plump hot dog.

The closest to a Johnsonville brat (outside of Sheboygan) i've come across was in the Germantown area of Cleveland.

I'm so glad I no longer have to haul coolers of brats across country for my friends. J-ville was up the road from my ol' homestead.
Old Dec 12th, 2006, 07:29 AM
Mr_Dreamer

Johnsonville is really the only brats we have had except for when we were in California and my brother got some from a German deli in Anaheim but they tasted about the same, maybe they were Jonhsonville? lol. I am glad someone else here knew the brand name.

Old Dec 12th, 2006, 07:45 AM

Johnsonville is sold in California but an old California-based company that makes the best bockwurst and bratwurst is Saags. www.saags.com I read they were sold to Hormel last week -- hope they don't change their recipes or products.
Old Dec 12th, 2006, 07:54 AM

I'm sorry if calling this person ignorant offended you. But ignorant merely means she is unaware of the facts. It is not the same as "stupid" by any stretch of the imagination. If she truly told that asking for bratwurst in Munich would "offend them", then she is indeed ignorant. Sorry, there's simply no other way to put it.
Old Dec 12th, 2006, 07:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Asking for Bratwurst in Munich is not offensive. Asking for Bratwurst "like from Johnsonville" would be offensive.
Old Dec 12th, 2006, 08:05 AM
ira

Hi MD,

Before you eat another Johnsonville brat, read the contents list.

Old Dec 12th, 2006, 08:15 AM

Hey,

Parts is parts...
Old Dec 12th, 2006, 08:30 AM

As thekyria said, bratwurst in Germany will taste differently depending upon what area you are in. They in no way resemble the flavor of a Johnsonville Brat; so, if that's what you are expecting you will either be pleasantly surprised or very disappointed. If someone doesn't like beer, a dry white wine is very nice with them, and don't forget the potato salad.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -