I'm specifically side-tripping to Milan to see The Last Supper. I'm arriving around noon on Thursday and departing Saturday late morning for Florence.
I have a ticket to view the painting at 1:45pm Thursday. I am staying 2 nights at the Hotel Berna.
So, I have a few questions:
1) Besides the Duomo and the Castle, what can I squeeze in/what should I squeeze in?
2) It looks like Milan has a pretty good transit system. I believe my hotel is only minutes from train station and a metro stop. For the short time I am there, would it be best to buy single rides? Or is there a 2-day pass that might work? (I am not so much concerned about the cost of single vs. 48-hr pass- it's more about convenience for me. I'd much prefer something I can swipe and go as opposed to worrying about having the right change or how far I can go on one ticket, etc.)
3) On that same note, IS the system pretty easy to use? How late/early does it run? Can I buy tickets/pass at the train station?
4) I am not much of a shopper (art/history/architecture), but the Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II looks awesome. Is it worth it to head there? I also hear that one must go down the Via Monte Napoleone. If not a shopper, is it still fun?
5) Looking for restaurant recs. I like simple fare and pasta. (Cacio e pepe is my favorite, but I do like a good plate of lasagna, too!) I like beef, and certain seafood. However, I'd prefer my shrimp be served sans the head and shell. hahah I would like to avoid the tourist traps. And especially interested in a couple places near my hotel for dinner both nights. PS I am always, I mean always, looking for the best cheese plates. Gorgonzola, crostini, chestnut honey..mmmmm)
6) Do you think I have a better chance of getting a dinner reservation if I make it for 2 and then my dining partner will happen to miss our date? It's not often, but there are people that think single diners aren't worth it...
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Rent in Paris - Long stay
- 2 day tours - Loire Valley
- 3 Croatia Driving Trip in March
- 4 Family Trip to Italy - North or South? April, July or October?
- 5 5 Days Galway, Aran Islands, Cliffs of Moher
- 6 Day Trips from Venice with Tweens / Teens
- 7 Venice Restaurant on Easter Sunday?
- 8 How to get from the Airport (Charles de Gaul) to Marais
- 9 2 month Itinerary Ideas (summer)
- 10 10 days in eastern Sicily - itinerary help needed
- 11 St Remy area for Provence base?
- 12 Cheap Airfare to Spain
- 13 Need Apartment with Paris Balcony for Family of Five - Not tourist central
- 14 Vet my itinerary
- 15 Italy - best two central locations
- 16 London and Paris 13 day HS graduation trip
- 17 My Fundraising Dream in Paris
- 18 Overnight Train Questions
- 19 Honeymoon - Spain & Greece
- 20 Gengenbach or Schiltach
- 21 Where to spend Easter in Portugal
- 22 Oh Italy, What to wear!
- 23 Amsterdam hotels
- 24 This developed exclusive combo of clinically based
- 25 Flamenco Shows