I'm specifically side-tripping to Milan to see The Last Supper. I'm arriving around noon on Thursday and departing Saturday late morning for Florence.
I have a ticket to view the painting at 1:45pm Thursday. I am staying 2 nights at the Hotel Berna.
So, I have a few questions:
1) Besides the Duomo and the Castle, what can I squeeze in/what should I squeeze in?
2) It looks like Milan has a pretty good transit system. I believe my hotel is only minutes from train station and a metro stop. For the short time I am there, would it be best to buy single rides? Or is there a 2-day pass that might work? (I am not so much concerned about the cost of single vs. 48-hr pass- it's more about convenience for me. I'd much prefer something I can swipe and go as opposed to worrying about having the right change or how far I can go on one ticket, etc.)
3) On that same note, IS the system pretty easy to use? How late/early does it run? Can I buy tickets/pass at the train station?
4) I am not much of a shopper (art/history/architecture), but the Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II looks awesome. Is it worth it to head there? I also hear that one must go down the Via Monte Napoleone. If not a shopper, is it still fun?
5) Looking for restaurant recs. I like simple fare and pasta. (Cacio e pepe is my favorite, but I do like a good plate of lasagna, too!) I like beef, and certain seafood. However, I'd prefer my shrimp be served sans the head and shell. hahah I would like to avoid the tourist traps. And especially interested in a couple places near my hotel for dinner both nights. PS I am always, I mean always, looking for the best cheese plates. Gorgonzola, crostini, chestnut honey..mmmmm)
6) Do you think I have a better chance of getting a dinner reservation if I make it for 2 and then my dining partner will happen to miss our date? It's not often, but there are people that think single diners aren't worth it...
Milan for 2 days... Advice please.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Looking for recommendations for trip insurance
- 2 Berlin & Budapest for 8 days
- 3 Amsterdam -Belgium -Germany -Amsterdam
- 4 Prague 3 nights - Top 10 things to do
- 5 Train ticket dilemma from Zurich to Milan
- 6 Champagne, Chocolates and Christmas, but no Chanel - Paris and Alsace
- 7 HELP FLORENCE TO ROME BY CAR WHAT TO DO
- 8 Questions on Ferry from Bodrum to Rhodes
- 9 Siena or Bologna day trip from Florence?
- 10 Where to stay in Rome
- 11 5 nights to get from Paris to Rome - What to do??
- 12 Italy Roma Card, Florence Card Recommended? Train Pass?
- 13 Boulevard Saint Germain from start to finish
- 14 Ireland and the UK Itinerary Advice
- 15 Nuremburg and Bamberg from Munich
- 16 Italy Apartment What To Bring
- 17 RFID wallets do they really work?
- 18 Prague, Austria and Germany in 17 days
- 19 Sicily Suggetions
- 20 Germany driving itinerary starting questions
- 21 Travelling two weeks in London, Ireland and Scotland.
- 22 North of Spain from Bilbao
- 23 We saw London, we saw France as well as The Netherlands and Belgium
- 24 Heathrow Airport Hotel
- 25 Where to watch World Cup in Berlin