I'm specifically side-tripping to Milan to see The Last Supper. I'm arriving around noon on Thursday and departing Saturday late morning for Florence.
I have a ticket to view the painting at 1:45pm Thursday. I am staying 2 nights at the Hotel Berna.
So, I have a few questions:
1) Besides the Duomo and the Castle, what can I squeeze in/what should I squeeze in?
2) It looks like Milan has a pretty good transit system. I believe my hotel is only minutes from train station and a metro stop. For the short time I am there, would it be best to buy single rides? Or is there a 2-day pass that might work? (I am not so much concerned about the cost of single vs. 48-hr pass- it's more about convenience for me. I'd much prefer something I can swipe and go as opposed to worrying about having the right change or how far I can go on one ticket, etc.)
3) On that same note, IS the system pretty easy to use? How late/early does it run? Can I buy tickets/pass at the train station?
4) I am not much of a shopper (art/history/architecture), but the Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II looks awesome. Is it worth it to head there? I also hear that one must go down the Via Monte Napoleone. If not a shopper, is it still fun?
5) Looking for restaurant recs. I like simple fare and pasta. (Cacio e pepe is my favorite, but I do like a good plate of lasagna, too!) I like beef, and certain seafood. However, I'd prefer my shrimp be served sans the head and shell. hahah I would like to avoid the tourist traps. And especially interested in a couple places near my hotel for dinner both nights. PS I am always, I mean always, looking for the best cheese plates. Gorgonzola, crostini, chestnut honey..mmmmm)
6) Do you think I have a better chance of getting a dinner reservation if I make it for 2 and then my dining partner will happen to miss our date? It's not often, but there are people that think single diners aren't worth it...
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Ambitious 1st time trip through Europe whilst pregnant??
- 2 Destination ideas for 88 year old
- 3 He Musta Saw Us a-Comin': A Brief, Cautionary Tale about Taxis in Rome
- 4 Trip planning to Paris, Lyon, Strasbourg
- 5 Itinerary between Milan and Venice
- 6 Arenalullring area Seville?
- 7 Venice to Zermatt by Train
- 8 FRANCE 10 YEARS ON: Paris Dordogne Albi Toulouse Arles S Rhone and Nice
- 9 Just the wine list please and Daisy came too.
- 10 OUR 2-WEEK SPANISH JOURNEY: MADRID, TOLEDO, AND ANDALUCIA!
- 11 Mantova, Ravenna, Brisighella, Bologna
- 12 Venice, Florence, Umbria, Rome, AND Amalfi?
- 13 From the Riviera to Rome: Two Terrific Weeks in Italy
- 14 Planning A trip
- 15 Driving through Paris
- 16 Question about Loire Valley châteaux
- 17 Tips for 2018 Eastern Europe trip
- 18 ASTURIAS IN LATE OCTOBER??
- 19 Bruges
- 20 Itinerary for 5 adults, 3 kids, 2 weeks, & 1 holiday adventure!
- 21 Vacation apartment registration begins in Paris 1 Oct
- 22 Positano vs. Amalfi vs. Praiano
- 23 First - but not last - trip to Greece
- 24 Online Site for Alhambra Tickets
- 25 Solo accommodation -- London -- Dec 19-ish