I'm specifically side-tripping to Milan to see The Last Supper. I'm arriving around noon on Thursday and departing Saturday late morning for Florence.
I have a ticket to view the painting at 1:45pm Thursday. I am staying 2 nights at the Hotel Berna.
So, I have a few questions:
1) Besides the Duomo and the Castle, what can I squeeze in/what should I squeeze in?
2) It looks like Milan has a pretty good transit system. I believe my hotel is only minutes from train station and a metro stop. For the short time I am there, would it be best to buy single rides? Or is there a 2-day pass that might work? (I am not so much concerned about the cost of single vs. 48-hr pass- it's more about convenience for me. I'd much prefer something I can swipe and go as opposed to worrying about having the right change or how far I can go on one ticket, etc.)
3) On that same note, IS the system pretty easy to use? How late/early does it run? Can I buy tickets/pass at the train station?
4) I am not much of a shopper (art/history/architecture), but the Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II looks awesome. Is it worth it to head there? I also hear that one must go down the Via Monte Napoleone. If not a shopper, is it still fun?
5) Looking for restaurant recs. I like simple fare and pasta. (Cacio e pepe is my favorite, but I do like a good plate of lasagna, too!) I like beef, and certain seafood. However, I'd prefer my shrimp be served sans the head and shell. hahah I would like to avoid the tourist traps. And especially interested in a couple places near my hotel for dinner both nights. PS I am always, I mean always, looking for the best cheese plates. Gorgonzola, crostini, chestnut honey..mmmmm)
6) Do you think I have a better chance of getting a dinner reservation if I make it for 2 and then my dining partner will happen to miss our date? It's not often, but there are people that think single diners aren't worth it...
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Documentation Entering/Leaving Schengen Region
- 2 please revew provence agenda
- 3 Car service- Suitcase & hand luggage
- 4 Self-Drive: Dublin to Shannon, or Belfast to Dublin
- 5 IRetiremenrt Fantasy-Italy
- 6 Age limitation for car rental
- 7 Do i need to validate international train tickets?
- 8 Beyond the Trees: At Altitude in Italy's Snowy Dolomites
- 9 to do with kids 2 1/2 days with a layover in frankfurt
- 10 now the fun stuff - need dining recs near Goult
- 11 Another strike in France : 3-5 june, airports
- 12 Input on this 8 Day London Itinerary
- 13 When to Arrive At The Airport
- 14 Italy- 18nights, 4 regions!
- 15 The Impact of AirBnB in Paris
- 16 Tour of La Scala, Milan
- 17 Paris-Italy-Spain trip
- 18 When and how to book for a trip?
- 19 Visiting Cornwall September 2016
- 20 Traveling advice for Amalfi coast
- 21 Using a Cell Phone in Europe
- 22 Prague & Croatia
- 23 Ferries from London To Normandy Beaches; biking through Formigny-Bayeux
- 24 3 week backing packing trip
- 25 Hiking in Tyrol Austria