I'm specifically side-tripping to Milan to see The Last Supper. I'm arriving around noon on Thursday and departing Saturday late morning for Florence.
I have a ticket to view the painting at 1:45pm Thursday. I am staying 2 nights at the Hotel Berna.
So, I have a few questions:
1) Besides the Duomo and the Castle, what can I squeeze in/what should I squeeze in?
2) It looks like Milan has a pretty good transit system. I believe my hotel is only minutes from train station and a metro stop. For the short time I am there, would it be best to buy single rides? Or is there a 2-day pass that might work? (I am not so much concerned about the cost of single vs. 48-hr pass- it's more about convenience for me. I'd much prefer something I can swipe and go as opposed to worrying about having the right change or how far I can go on one ticket, etc.)
3) On that same note, IS the system pretty easy to use? How late/early does it run? Can I buy tickets/pass at the train station?
4) I am not much of a shopper (art/history/architecture), but the Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II looks awesome. Is it worth it to head there? I also hear that one must go down the Via Monte Napoleone. If not a shopper, is it still fun?
5) Looking for restaurant recs. I like simple fare and pasta. (Cacio e pepe is my favorite, but I do like a good plate of lasagna, too!) I like beef, and certain seafood. However, I'd prefer my shrimp be served sans the head and shell. hahah I would like to avoid the tourist traps. And especially interested in a couple places near my hotel for dinner both nights. PS I am always, I mean always, looking for the best cheese plates. Gorgonzola, crostini, chestnut honey..mmmmm)
6) Do you think I have a better chance of getting a dinner reservation if I make it for 2 and then my dining partner will happen to miss our date? It's not often, but there are people that think single diners aren't worth it...
Milan for 2 days... Advice please.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 NEED ADVICE: 2 Months in Italy, 1 Month through Spain, Greece, and France
- 2 Portugal or Bulgaria
- 3 Places for a Special Dinner (2 cancer survivors!) in Montecatini
- 4 Backpacking Europe in the Winter
- 5 Question on France travel
- 6 "Or Like in Europe Where Folks Share Tables to Save Space"
- 7 Can you help me with an Oyster Card?
- 8 Something unique about your best city anywhere in Europe
- 9 Autumn in Paris
- 10 TR: Self indulgence in London and Venice
- 11 Crete, Santorini, Naxos, Mykonos, Athens
- 12 Need Advice: 12 Days in Europe
- 13 Ireland or Scotland
- 14 Italy and Croatia
- 15 St Germain
- 16 Where to go in France mid July?
- 17 trip to norway
- 18 When Christmas markets of 2014 are going to start in Tyrol in Austrian part
- 19 Family heritage/name origin services in Poland?
- 20 Food tours in Rome and other tours as well
- 21 ...Got a speeding ticket in Spain...
- 22 Following the Tour de France via Campervan
- 23 Cruise the River Shannon
- 24 1,000,001 Steps: Ups and Downs in Greece for 3 Weeks
- 25 Food tours in Rome?