night life in milan

Jan 15th, 2011, 09:32 AM
Original Poster

night life in milan

hi everyone, i´m going to italy this august and i´m reashearching on places to visit in Milan. what i don´t know yet is where to go at night and where to eat!
any advise?
Jan 15th, 2011, 11:01 AM

Hi ! First of all I have to warn you: it's going to be very hot and muggy in Milan in august. Maybe you come from a hot country/state and that is no problem to you but I thought you should know ... just in case (right now on the other hand it's chilly in Milan- chilly in the winter and stifling hot in the summer- that's Milan but that's the way we like it)
You won't find many locals around(Milanese people usually leave the city in august) and that of course might be an advantage for you (less queues everywhere and so on). The area where you want to hang out in Milan is the NAVIGLI AREA ( the metro stop PORTA GENOVA might be a good starting point) . You'll find there many pubs,bars as well as places where to "do the aperitivo-also known in Italy as "happy hour".What does it mean ? It means you pay for a drink and you can help yourself to a buffet. You can replenish your dish with everything you want(from pasta to meat to pizza and so on and so forth) for how many times you want, you just pay for the drink, the buffet is free. Young Milanese love the aperitivo because it'usually inexpensive(unless you drink a lot)The "aperitivo" is now very common way of eating out (and very popular especially among young people )in the whole of Lombardy and in much of northern Italy whereas it's not at all common in the south.
An other area to stroll at night is the historic center: from Castello Sforzesco to the DUOMO.
If you are more interested in restaurants ,rather that the happy hour , here I post a link, which is a rating of Milan restaurants by the New York Times
http://travel.nytimes.com/travel/gui...-listings.html
Jan 15th, 2011, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks alot for the tips feda!
how does the aperitivo usualy costs?
can we make a dinner of it? it sounds great!
thank you!
Jan 15th, 2011, 12:06 PM

Yes, you can definitely make a dinner out of it. When I talk about that to my countrymen from southern or central Italy they are usually very sceptical and ask me the same question. But the truth is: you can even make a couple of dinners out of it since there is usually a lot of food and you can serve yourself just how many times you want. Well if you are lucky it might just be 5 euros, but not in the Navigli area,which is the area where you want to hang about at night. There it should be around ten euros, but if you keep in mind that you have a drink and you eat everything you want it's still a bargain. Of course if you order another drink it's twice the price. So I reccomend you have one drink and then you go somewhere else (like a pub or something)if you feel like drinking. Tips for the aperitivo:chances are that if you show up as early as 7.30 pm you'll find more food to replenish your dish with.
If you are into beer you should check out the BIRRIFICIO DI LAMBRATE, near the Lambrate railway station( metro stop LAMBRATE line2) . You're going to find great beer there.
A typical Milanese dish I would suggest is cotoletta alla milanese( a cutlet) , of course . Another Milanese dish I absolutely recommend is the risotto alla milanese or risotto con lo zafferano (rice with saffron),very typical of Milan, which is... yummy ! You're going to find both in any restaurant
Jan 15th, 2011, 12:24 PM

I can't add too much to feda's accurate descriptions except to say I've really enjoyed the via Brera for apertivi, which has lots of great outdoor bars, and if you really want a scene, head up to the Corso Como (near the Porto Garibaldi).

One of the single best sources for having fun in Milan -- and NOT spending a fortune -- is the Milan section of the "Spotted by Locals" website. It is so familiar with the city, you might first feel a bit overwhelmed, but if you take a little time to pick through site, and look at some maps, you'll easily get the hang of it (as you will Milan).

http://www.spottedbylocals.com/milan/
Jan 15th, 2011, 12:27 PM

I fully agree with Zeppole
Jan 15th, 2011, 08:20 PM

bookmarking
Jan 16th, 2011, 08:21 AM
Original Poster

thanks for helping everyone i can´t wait to meet your country!