My husband and I have a month to explore the Croatian coast next July, starting in Pula, and would appreciate some tips on how to avoid the largest crowds and still see the highlights. (I know, I know: "Don't go in the summer." But it's our only opportunity.)
We'll be relying on public transportation. We like hiking, swimming and snorkelling, kayaking, river-rafting. We're not interested in the party scene. We love quieter oceanfront villages, as long as they're accessible by bus.
Can we get some advice on our itinerary? Nothing is set in stone, but here's what I'm thinking.
Pula - 1 or 2 nights to see the Roman ruins
Rovinj -- 3 nights
Opatija? - 2 nights
A Kvarner island? Cres, Losinj or Rab? - 4 nights
Zadar - 3 nights - river-rafting?
Sibenik - 2 nights? Krka National Park
Trogir or Split - 3 or 4 nights - river-rafting
Hvar - 3 nights?
Korcula - 4 nights
Dubrovnik - 5 nights - day trips to Elafiti Islands, Mljet Island
Thanks in advance for any tips or suggestions.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 What experiences were most memorable for your kids?
- 2 Italy Trip- Venice, Rome, Florence, Cinque Terre, Amalfi Coast
- 3 Chania Crete -apartment or home stay
- 4 Criss-crossing the Camino: 5 weeks in Northern Spain (and a bit of France)
- 5 What kind of tea can i choose in afternoon tea in France?
- 6 Lake District: HF Holiday houses Derwent Bank and Monk Coniston
- 7 13 Days with 13-year-olds in Greece
- 8 Alitala
- 9 Paris Oct 31-Nov 4
- 10 Supplements in Carry on bag
- 11 Iceland photo tour- any tips?
- 12 Restaurant suggestions in Bologna
- 13 Norther Spain first Iteniary
- 14 Lake Como - Luzern - Germany (need help) - Amsterdam
- 15 Itinerary for 5 adults, 3 kids, 2 weeks, & 1 holiday adventure!
- 16 Villa Honegg: an insider's tip for the Central Switzerland
- 17 Azores v. north coastal Portugal-Best use of time between Lisbon and Porto
- 18 Car service from Vienna Airport
- 19 LeHavre to Rennes/St. Malo?
- 20 Europe First Timers
- 21 Photography gear for Rome and Venice
- 22 Navigation Decouverte cards never expire; right? Wrong!
- 23 With Gratitude for a Glorious Solo Month in Greece
- 24 Funniest of Fodor Threads
- 25 Iceland for Nine Days