Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Croatia Itinerary and Hotels -- feedback requested

Old Jun 24th, 2014, 08:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have planned a trip to Croatia (ending in Austria) in October as follows. Would love to get any feedback on the itinerary and the hotel choices. Thanks.

Fly to Dubrovnik (arrive late afternoon)
4 nights in Dubrovnik (includes the possibility of going to Kotor or Mostar) - Bellevue Hotel
2 nights in Hvar - Palace Hvar Hotel
3 nights in Split (possible day trip to Plitvice Lakes - apartment near Bacvice Beach
3 nights in Zaqreb - Westin Zagreb
4 nights in Vienna - Park Hyatt Vienna
Flight home

Any thoughts (especially around any day trips and hotel choices) welcomed and appreciated. Thanks.

John H.
Old Jun 24th, 2014, 09:39 PM
kja

"4 nights in Dubrovnik (includes the possibility of going to Kotor or Mostar)" -- sounds a bit much to me. Even with Kotor, 3 nights is IME more than enough for Dubrovnik, including Kotor. And it would, IMO, be better to visit Mostar as an overnight -- I thought it had more than enough to justify an overnight stay, particularly because it is much more appealing after day-trippers leave.

"possible day trip to Plitvice Lakes" -- do NOT skip the Plitvice Lakes! I loved my 3-week exploration of Croatia, and thought these lakes the greatest of many highlights. They truly are exceptional. Try to spend a night there before your visit, and then 6 or 7 contiguous hours in the park itself.

In the absence of further information about your interests, I don't feel that I can offer additional advice at this time.

It's a beautiful part of the work -- enjoy!
Old Jun 25th, 2014, 12:33 AM

I agree with the overnight at Plitvice, you could do it in between Split and Zagreb. Though I would leave Split in the AM to visit the park, then spend that night after visiting the park.

I think 4 nights in Dubrovnik is good if you are going to need to get over jet lag.

Are you going to have a car for any of this trip?
Old Jun 25th, 2014, 06:09 AM

I don't think 4 nights in Dubrovnik is too much, it's actually 3 full days there. You can spend one in Dubrovnik, one for Mostar and we really enjoyed a day trip to Cavtat. It was quiet and with less crowds.

I agree with the Plitvice advice, though. Do not skip it, and if you can make it an overnight, that would be much better.
Old Jun 25th, 2014, 08:53 AM

I agree. I don't think 4 nights in Dubrovnik is too much.
Old Jun 25th, 2014, 05:52 PM
kja

I seem to have been unclear: What I meant was that I would not visit Mostar as a day trip from Dubrovnik, but would instead spend a night there. Cutting Mostar out of the equation, I meant that 3 nights would be enough for Dubrovnik + Kotor. JMO
Old Jun 26th, 2014, 07:23 PM
Original Poster

thanks for the feedback -- much appreciated
Old Jun 29th, 2014, 08:07 AM

I agree with kja about planning an overnight rather than a day trip to Mostar. It is much more pleasant in cooler weather with fewer crowds at the early and late part of the day.
Old Jul 9th, 2014, 05:20 AM

I am exploring much the same sort of trip, for September 2015.
This is what I've come up with for a 2 week trip:

Arrive Zagreb from US
Zagreb 2 nights
Plitvice 2 nights
Split 2 nights
Korcula 2 nights
Mostar 2 nights
Dubrovnik 3-4 nights
(Day trip to Montenegro from Dubrovnik)
Depart to US from Dubrovnik

We're trying to keep things a little slower paced rather than trying to see everything and everywhere in 2 weeks...which is tempting!

Interested to see what you decide and what folks with experience in the area think.
Old Jul 9th, 2014, 04:02 PM
kja

It depends on what you want to see and experience, but FWIW, I thought Zagreb deserved at least 3 days, and that didn't count any time for jet lag. BUT I really appreciated its museums; if that isn't your priority, less time might work for you. You might want to start your own thread....
Old Jul 15th, 2014, 04:06 AM

Thank you for your thoughts. I agree, I need to start my own thread. Apologies to JH.