Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Split-Hvar - Brac- Dubrovnik - how many days?

Apr 4th, 2018, 04:26 PM
Original Poster

Well, you might recognize me as I asked so many questions about bringing my elderly mother to Croatia. Sadly, her heart is giving out - we are hoping she will be okay for years with medical intervention - but Croatia travel is out.

So.... We're still coming... Originally we were staying in Stari Grad because she would have enjoyed that - no view or anything - but she likes history. Now we are switching to staying in Hvar Town itself - Amfora Hotel (we do enjoy sea views). But my husband will not arrive until the 28th of June (daughter and I arrive 26) and we go to Split the 29th.

We have 4 nights planned in Split. But maybe we should stay 4 nights in Hvar and take a day tour around the island? We do now plan on visiting the waterfalls in Split and of course Trojir. Maybe Zadar but this was all for my mother because we were told there were ruins (which she loves)

What do we like? Wandering little streets and finding hidden treasures shopping.... eating at cute little places for lunch..... Eating great dinners with fine wine by the sea.... Seeing the REAL country - real Croatian villages (a fabulous tour guide we hooked up with said he'll take us around from Split). We love nature, beautiful views and the ocean.

Would you do a full day in Trojir and a full day at the lakes/waterfalls (Plitvice) ........ or combine the day......... or visit Zadar and Trojir in a day?

​​​​​​We will continue on to Brac and then Dubrovnik. Currently we have 3 nights at a lovely hotel - Lemongarden - in Brac to just relax. But then only 2 nights in Dubrovnik. We already booked a day tour to elaphite islands. We are also considering a day to montenegro. But will that be enough time to see within the walls?

Any thoughts welcome!!! Kja - I know you will have ideas!
Ellen
Apr 4th, 2018, 07:12 PM
kja

So sorry about your mother, Ellen Ė Iíll post separately on your other thread about that.

New comments:

I found Hvar Town beautiful, but WAY too upscale for my tastes, even during shoulder season, and in high season, it can be a seriously party-hearty town. That said, many people adore Hvar Town. To each his/her own!

Split is my favorite city in Croatia, not only because it offers a wealth of things to see and do, but also because it can be an excellent base for Trogir (do watch the spelling, as it matters for search engines), Sibenik and the Krka National Park, various islands, even ZadarÖ. And BTW, because of Splitís history, its core Ė the one-time Diocletian Palace Ė is literally a warren of tiny little streets, and itís lungomare is, IMO, quite stunning.

Waterfalls in Split? I donít know of any. The Plitvice Lakes National Park is north of Split en route to Zagreb and is best seen with a walk (an easy walk) of 6 or 7 hours, so visiting generally requires an overnight. The Krka National Park is north of Sibenik and can be seen in a long day trip from Split. Trogir really only takes a half-day, and is only Ĺ hour or so by public transportation from Split.

If your goal is to see the ďREALĒ country then Iím sorry to say it, but I think you need to re-think: Hvar Town and Dubrovnik are about as touristy as you can get in Croatia. Split, at least, is a reasonably large city with a life independent of tourism (although it has a well established tourism industry and a wealth of opportunities for tourists); Sibenik and Zadar are smaller, but each has a mix of tourist and non-tourist elements. Iím sure any number of tour guides would be happy to take you to places outside the cities Ė and of course you should do that if it suits! Ė but you could also jump on buses to explore Hvar or wherever.

2 nights is generally sufficient for Dubrovnik Ė assuming that means about 1.5 days, give-or-take, depending on your interests. You need another day there if you want to visit the Elaphite Islands. And another day if you want to daytrip into Montenegro.

Seriously, you are trying to fit a monthís worth of travel into a very short trip. I understand that you are floundering with a complete re-design of this trip, but Croatia is a large country with LOTS to offer, and there is no possible way to see even its highlights in the time you have. You can see some wonderful things, but you need to make some difficult choices. Given that you are (I think) committed to Dalmatia -- the region from Split through Dubrovnik (which includes Hvar) -- you might want to skip the Plitvice Lakes and Zadar and Sibenik from this trip, or at least not plan on seeing them unless you find that you have an extra day in Split and want to use that day for a visit to the Krka National Park.

And you donít need a tour guide for ANY of it unless that's your preference. Just get a good guidebook or two (I strongly recommend the Rough Guide) and decide what works for you!

Good luck with your trip re-invention!
Apr 5th, 2018, 04:42 AM
Original Poster

So yes - I meant Plitvice Lakes National Park. I am stuck about Dubrovnik because our flight goes out of there....
Now I feel a little sick to my stomach about Hvar and unsure what to do. It's so late now that getting a good hotel is tough. We're lucky we still have Marmont in Split.
Maybe I should have stuck with Stari Grad, but I really LOVE being able to see the sea. It's my greatest pleasure even if the town around me is touristy. Maybe there's a better island to go to for the first 3 nights. The confusion is: My daughter and I arrive June 26 and husband the 28. We have hotel in Split 29 - July 3. Then 3 nights in Brac and 2 in Dubrovnik We do want a day trip to Elaphite Islands and daytrip into Montenegro. We did find a boat that goes to the islands (group tour - very inexpensive). We found a guide who will take us to Montengro for only 75 euro per person. Sounds fabulous but now maybe we need 3 nights in Dubrovnik and should cut 2 nights off Brac. We must stay the last night in Split as my 20 year old now will fly home solo and it must be easy for her to get to the airport. I'm so upset about my mother I just can't make a good decision.

Travel agent still wants us to do a day trip to Trogir (got it) with a special lunch with this woman - but I said no. I do like the idea of the boat trip from Hvar to Split and stopping at little islands and the Blue Cove along the way.

Trip won't be as special without Mom.
Sigh.
Thank you for listening, helping, and being so great.
Ellen
Apr 5th, 2018, 06:58 PM
kja

Many people adore Hvar Town, so I'm sure you'll find much to enjoy there.

But do think through your plans, as they don't make sense to me -- but maybe I'm just not following. If you haven't already done it, mark them on a calendar to make sure the plan actually works.
Apr 6th, 2018, 02:16 AM

I'm sorry to hear about your mum. It seems that you are juggling competing priorities.

If you are all flying into Split, then I think the logical thing to do would be to stay in Split from 26-29/30, then go to one or two islands and end in Dubrovnik, staying at least 3 nights there. Your daughter can fly home from Dubrovnik just as easily as Split, can't she? I'm sure you could still find nice accommodation in Split as it's some time away.
Apr 6th, 2018, 04:52 AM
Original Poster

You are right - that sounds logical. The problem is that flights were booked long ago. My daughter was to fly home with my mother as she can't travel alone (even before the heart issue) as she's almost blind. So we are stuck being in Split on the morning of the 3rd so she can catch her early flight home.

Arrive June 26 go to Hvar. Stay in Amfora Hotel. Husband joins us on the 28th
June 29 to July 3 Split (daughter flies home)
July 3 to July 6 Brac
July 6 to July 8 Dubrovnik
July 8 fly home
Apr 6th, 2018, 03:28 PM

I didn't realise your daughter was flying home on the 3rd. Seems like you may need to choose between Brac and more time in Dubrovnik. Or would this work - 26/27/28 Hvar then Brac 29/30/1 then Split 2/3/4 then Dubrovnik 5/6/7/8? Those are days not nights.
Apr 6th, 2018, 05:57 PM
kja

Please take a close look at this plan, and do so with a map (or google maps) open in front of you. You donít have July 3 in both Split and Brac, nor July 6 in both Brac and Dubrovnik, nor July 8 in both Dubrovnik and your flight. On each of your transportation days, you will spend at most a part of a day in any one location.

You have 1 day and some bits in Dubrovnik. Dubrovnik itself takes a day to a day and a half. The Elephati Islands will likely take a full day. Montenegro take a LONG day. So you have plans for about 3.5 days, and only about 1.5 days (roughly) to manage your plans.

I think you need to make some choices!

But again, maybe I've seriously misunderstood your itinerary.

Apr 7th, 2018, 04:23 AM

Your husband flies in on the 28th and will go to Hvar for one night? I'd give Hvar one more day so the guy has a chance to rest.

Also, consider other lodgings than Hotel Amfora. It's a big, las vegasy kind of hotel. There are lots of apartments with sea views. In July I'd avoid the area around the Amfora and also right around the harbor. Maybe up the steps of the old town, just know you have to carry your luggage up.

You should maybe leave Plitvice for another trip, it's three hours from Split. Focus on the areas you can get to in an hour or so.
Apr 7th, 2018, 08:07 AM
Original Poster

I agree that one more day in Hvar would be nice for husband, but he doesn't want to change the 4 nights in Split. He really wants to do Plitvice Lakes - and we will hire a driver to get there. We intend to have one full day in Split just enjoying Split, one full day Plitvice Lakes, and half day to Trogir.

Yes, going to Brac first would make more sense, but then my daughter wouldn't get to enjoy Split. She won't want to do two islands. So many people to accommodate when it's only 3 people! It was easier with Mom as everyone just wanted it to be perfect for HER and the 3 of us didn't care as much about ourselves. Kind of like her last big trip..... but it didn't happen

As for Amfora - I have read such mixed reviews - but that it's big and glitzy and not at all perfection I have heard here and the travel agent. I saw Hotel Podstine which looks nicer, but seems so far away from town and daughter LOVES to walk around town and shop (that's her thing - shop). Me - I like that too -but I love to lie in the sun by a pool or ocean. Podstine looked better for ocean, but I'm trying to suit her needs too. I actually like the glitz of hotels in Vegas WHEN in Vegas. So how bad is it? Would you think I could get to town from Podstine easily by cab? Would that be expensive? I wouldn't mind (nor would Zoe ) going in by cab if it were easy - but I'm not sure how easy it is for cars to get into town.

As for Dubrovnik - you are absolutely correct that we only have one full day there. We almost wish we didn't have flight out of there and could just come back another time. But life is short and one never knows if one will get back. So knowing we may never get back to Croatia, would you try to switch flights and just skip it? (Probably can switch flights for a fee). Or, would you just enjoy the two evenings and one full day there and skip the islands and obviously trying to get to the Montenegro? We could do one day less in Brac, but it looks so idyllic and relaxing - something we'd enjoy just the two of us..............

You have no idea how glad I am to have your opinions!
Ellen
Apr 7th, 2018, 02:28 PM

Ellen, I can't comment on Hotel Podstine because I have never stayed there. Maybe you could ask them if they have a shuttle service. Taxis are not cheap but they are certainly available. Its also possible that you will like the Amfora if you like the glitz of Vegas. It is not glitzy, more "could be anywhere resort-ish," but they have the giant pool area with fake rocks etc and the sea is right there. Your plans seem a little crazy to me but it sounds like you have a lot of private transfers so I am sure you will have good drivers that will break up some of the journeys a little.
Apr 7th, 2018, 04:44 PM
Original Poster

If my plans sound crazy, Rialogrl, you should meet me.
We will hope for the best. I will report back! So appreciate all of the comments.
Ellen
Apr 7th, 2018, 05:50 PM
kja

Just checking: You do realize that Montenegro is south of Dubrovnik, and so doesn't really make sense as a day trip from anywhere else you will be? And that the Elephati Islands are very close to Dubrovnik? I'm not sure where you expect to be when you visit these places, but I, for one, would not want to spend that much time in transit when I could actually be seeing some of the magnificent places right where you will be. JMO.

I know you are trying to re-arrange a trip in the midst of an emotionally trying time, and that the original plan was lovingly planned to accommodate your mother's interests and limits. So, while I remind you that you will have some wonderful experiences no matter what, I encourage you to take a deep breath and look a map, and maybe a good guidebook -- you might be able to come up with a plan that is much more enjoyable than the one you have now cobbled together.

Best!
Apr 8th, 2018, 05:04 AM
Original Poster

Kja I have looked at a map. I know I can take a ferry which would take four hours I'm in a land transfer which will take 4.5 hours. Either way we are right around two or three or four in the afternoon. It's still leaves us just one day to do the walls. I don't see how we can fit in the islands which I would love to see. No we're not going to go to Montenegro. Yes we realize that's crazy. Do you have a suggestion of a way you can do both the walls and Elephanti islands? I know you are have the tours. I tried to book one but they're completely booked up on Saturday when we're there
Apr 8th, 2018, 07:25 AM

The Dubrovnik walls will only take an hour or two.
Apr 8th, 2018, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

So thanks to you guys, we contacted someone who does half day tours (he also does full day tours) to Elaphite Islands.I found him on tripadvisor #1 guy and he was so nice - wrote right back to me. He doesn't want money up front - it's 220 euro (compared to the tour company who want 580 dollars plus 80 euro fuel!) and he said it's private - just the 2 of us and skipper - so we can go where we want for 4 hours.

So we drive into Dubrovnik about 3 pm, walls either that evening or the next morning AND get to see the islands. My husband also wants to do the cable car in Dubrovnik. Of course we want to wander the town, but figure it will be crazy crowded.

Any restaurant suggestions in Dubrovnik?
THANK YOU guys - you probably saved our trip!
Ellen
Apr 22nd, 2018, 03:07 PM

Can you provide a link to the boat tour you're planning to take? I tried looking for it on tripadvisor. It sounds like something I'd like to do next summer. Thanks!
~Roberta
Apr 24th, 2018, 04:25 AM
Original Poster

Sorry it took me so long. HIs name is Denis Rakigija and below is his email. He sounds awesome!
[email protected] Denis Rakigjija
Apr 8 (7 days ago)[img]file:///C:/Users/eluch/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image002.gif[/img][img]file:///C:/Users/eluch/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image002.gif[/img][img]file:///C:/Users/eluch/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image002.gif[/img]
Sep 5th, 2018, 03:58 PM
Original Poster

I wanted to come back and say thank you for all of the help. We had an AMAZING TRIP. Maybe being in the streets of Dubrovnik with the locals watching Croatia beat Russia was the highlight?! I don't know. The whole country is gorgeous and fabulous and I want to go back.
Sep 5th, 2018, 04:07 PM

Would love to hear about your experiences with the hotels and whether the amount of time in each location was adequate.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO