My wife and I are planning our first visit to Southeast Asia (first trip anywhere in Asia, for that matter) in August. We like to put together our trips ourselves and except for a few minor glitches over the years we've done ok. I'm attending to details of the trip right now and I have a question for all you seasoned Fodorite travelers out there. Is it a good idea to wait until we arrive at our initial destination (Bangkok) to book and purchase airline tickets within the region? I have read that by waiting until arrival in-country you save big on the fares. I'm all for saving a buck but it worries me (I'm old now so I tend to worry alot) that we might encounter sold-out flights that would screw up the itinerary we have set for ourselves. Specifically, we wish to travel from Bangkok to Phuket on Aug. 17 and from Hanoi to Bangkok on Aug. 30. I'm tempted to buy the tickets here and now and not leave the availability to chance but I've done some checking and it does appear that I'll be paying double what I would pay if I wait until our arrival in Thailand. Clue me in, please.
Air Travel in Thailand and Viet Nam
- 1 Trip plans to SE Asia for 2014 coming together! Int'l flights purchased!
- 2 Elephant Visit in Chiang Mai
- 3 Proposed Sri Lanka Itinerary - any opinions welcome
- 4 Kanchanaburi - Toi's Tours
- 5 Photography Trip to Vietnam
- 6 where to go in SE Asia
- 7 Uzbekistan: A Lesson in Silk Road Hospitality
- 8 Beijing To Tibet, Mt. Everest And Nepal All In 10 Days
- 9 Siem Reap from San Fran in winter 2013 FIRST TIME to Asia
- 10 Suggestions for Asian visit Feb. 2014, incl. Singapore
- 11 trip report to tajmahal agra india
- 12 Hilton coming in Zhengzhou, China?
- 13 Nepal, Tibet, and Bhutan tour suggestions
- 14 Dreamliner to Japan in Nov.?
- 15 4 days with Orangutans Balikpapan + Camp Leakey
- 16 Cambodia, Laos and a bit of Hong Kong - 5 1/2 weeks (Jan.24-March 4, 2013)
- 17 Sri Lanka
- 18 Suggestion for Bali
- 19 Rajasthan tour: Car and Driver services, advise needed
- 20 which hotel in Bangkok in July?
- 21 Family Japan Trip in August for First Time - Hotel Planning Advice
- 22 Hello, Vietnam
- 23 Is it worth switching hotels in Tokyo?
- 24 11 days in Japan, JR pass question
- 25 Kashmir or Nepal