My wife and I are planning our first visit to Southeast Asia (first trip anywhere in Asia, for that matter) in August. We like to put together our trips ourselves and except for a few minor glitches over the years we've done ok. I'm attending to details of the trip right now and I have a question for all you seasoned Fodorite travelers out there. Is it a good idea to wait until we arrive at our initial destination (Bangkok) to book and purchase airline tickets within the region? I have read that by waiting until arrival in-country you save big on the fares. I'm all for saving a buck but it worries me (I'm old now so I tend to worry alot) that we might encounter sold-out flights that would screw up the itinerary we have set for ourselves. Specifically, we wish to travel from Bangkok to Phuket on Aug. 17 and from Hanoi to Bangkok on Aug. 30. I'm tempted to buy the tickets here and now and not leave the availability to chance but I've done some checking and it does appear that I'll be paying double what I would pay if I wait until our arrival in Thailand. Clue me in, please.
Air Travel in Thailand and Viet Nam
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Air Asia All You Can Fly
- 2 Some Final Thoughts on a Trip to SE Asia
- 3 China's Direct Visa - Yet Another Vexation!
- 4 Madly Dashing to Bali - Hotel Report
- 5 Sri Lanka February 15'
- 6 Osaka shopping
- 7 Luggage Transfer From Hotels
- 8 India: A dream trip meets reality for me
- 9 A week in April; Kyoto and Tokyo?
- 10 Bali Honeymoon. Got 3/4 places decided on, struggling on the last...HELP!
- 11 Penang
- 12 Restaurants and Things to do at night
- 13 First Time Visit to Japan in November 2015 - Itinerary Review
- 14 Planning Japan Trip #2
- 15 Takayama ideas in April?
- 16 Christmas in Kerala? Birthday in Goa?
- 17 There and back again: a conflicted (and reimagined) India Trip Report
- 18 Cost differences between spring and autumn visits to Japan?
- 19 Indonesia Itinerary help
- 20 Ideas for an off beaten path trip in Burma
- 21 First time visiting Japan. Please help
- 22 Update on recent TR's on Mrauk U
- 23 4-1/2 days in Seoul
- 24 3 Weeks in Japan - Please critique my itineary
- 25 Help! Selecting a Thai beach!