Thailand airfare questions

Old Sep 25th, 2006, 05:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thailand airfare questions

Hi everyone,
I am ready to nail down my Feb 07 Thailand trip. All I have so far is an intinerary and 2 roundtrip tickets JFK to BKK. Now that I have the $$$ available I can not seem to find any reasonable airfares in Thailand/Cambodia. I am planning to fly from bkk to Siem Reap ( non-stop) then from Siem Reap to Krabi via bkk and from Phuket back to BKK. The best I can find so far is $1002 for 2 people for all legs. Would it be better to get three coupons per person from Bangkok Air and use only the Phuket Airport? ( They don't fly to Krabi as of yet.) How complicated would a land/sea transfer from the Phuket airport to Ao Nang be? Also, is Siem Reap to BKK considered one leg? We are planning to also spend some time on Ko Phi Phi. Any suggestions? Also, how easy is it to use the Bangkok Air coupons. Do I get guaranteed reserved seating with that?
All your help is greatly appreciated!
Kirsten
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 07:33 PM

bkk air is extremely easy to use and there is no assigned seating....bkk to SR is one international coupon....there really are no coupons, but tickets...it is a good and inexpensive system...the bkk - SR is about $170-190 r.t. and on its own is about $275...bkk-phuket can be cheap or about $125 rt on thai
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 07:34 PM

that's per person without any current surcharges
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 08:00 PM

I was just checking into some flights myself. Price for BKK - REP with the Discovery pass is $90.00, plus tax plus $30.00 surcharge per person...so around $130.00 each way. I was just pricing the one-way between Siem Reap - Bangkok without the pass, and it's not different by much...of course, I can't get that number at the moment as the Bangkok Air booking engine appears to be down.

If you want to fly between Siem Reap and Bangkok, Bangkok Air is your only option. You could opt to fly from Phnom Penh to Bangkok onn Air Asia and it's a lot cheaper.

The route between Phuket and Bangkok has lots of options...Bangkok Air, Air Asia, Nok Air, 123 Go...more even I'm sure. It's also possible to get to Krabi from Phuket airport. You could easily arrange it beforehand with your hotel, or you could arrange once you get there for less than what your hotel would charge you. Using low cost carriers for the BKK - Phuket routing would probably save some money even over the $50.00 flight coupons (plus tax and surcharge, so it's not so cheap in the end).
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 08:04 PM

If you used the Bangkok Air pass for the 3 fligts BK/SR/BK and Phuket/BK it would cost $304 (90+32in fees x 2 + 50+9.50) For the BK/Krabi flight by Thai add around $80. Total $384 per person not including airport taxes. You could also take a discount carrier to Phuket - Air Asia, One-2 Go, Nok Air- for a lot less.
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 08:14 PM

That should read "You could also take a discount carrier to Krabi - Air Asia, One-2 Go, Nok Air- for a lot less".
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 02:22 AM

You could use Thai Air Asia for BKK-Krabi sectors. By road from Phuket airport to Ao Nang is about 2 hrs 15/30 roughly.
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 04:46 AM

Last year, we used the BKK Air Discovery Pass BKK-SR, SR-BKK and Phuket-BKK. We flew Thai Air to Krabi, booked separately. We took a minivan from Krabi to the Phuket Airport. It worked quite well.
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 05:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your help! How did you all book the airpass as it is not available online. Did you call their ticketing office? Is the flight from REP to Phuket via BKK considered one or two " coupons"?
Kirsten
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 05:44 PM

You can call their office in New York if you like to book the pass, or a travel agent can do it for you. REP - BKK - HKT is 2 coupons, one international, one domestic.
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 05:59 PM

kirsten, someone posted here some time back that Bangkok Air considered the Siem Reap to Phuket ticket one coupon. It seems unlikely to me, but that is the answer they got. So it doesn't hurt to ask when you book your discovery pass.
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 06:07 PM

I e-mailed Bangkok Air with this very question and about REP - BKK - LPQ and the pass just last week. The reply was that both trips required 2 coupons, the trip from Siem Reap to Luang Prabang required 2 international coupons.

So, I'd be really happy to see Lao Airlines doing the REP - LPQ trip.
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 06:22 PM

Kim, that's a different situation. Bangkok Air has a flight that goes from Siem Reap to Phuket with a stop in Bangkok, and they told someone here that it only required one international coupon. It seemed hard for me to believe, but if someone can do that flight with one coupon that would make many people happy.

Your situation is clearly two differnt flights. It would be much cheaper if Lao has their flight available for you.
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 06:33 PM

I had also asked about Phuket though, as well as to Chiang Mai. They all required 2 coupons they said.

It would be very good if you could use one. Maybe it is for only specific flights into Phuket?
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 07:35 PM

Kim, there is one specific flight on Bangkok Air that goes from Siem Reap to Phuket with a stop in Bangkok. It was that flight that Bangkok Air said was only one coupon. If you took a flight from Siem Reap and had to change to a different flight in Bangkok, it would be 2 coupons.
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 08:44 PM

That makes sense. Thank you for explaining that. You'd think BKK Air would have mentioned that option when asked specifically about it.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 02:16 AM

You book the Discovery Pass by calling the NY number and then sending them a cashier's check. They will send you the paper tickets thereafter.

If the SR-BKK-Phuket flight only uses one coupon (I also remember this on a post) you can use the money you save to arrange a transfer to your Krabi hotel from the Phuket airport.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 10:52 AM

The flight (PG924) from Siem Reap to Phuket requires that you change planes in Bangkok. Although the same flight no is used, the Bangkok Air office near where I live says that it is considered as 2 coupons - 1 international and 1 domestic when I inquired.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 12:04 PM

Interesting, Scotters, someone on this board was told otherwise, and I belive actually used just one coupon for the flight. I had thought two would be required... it sounds like there are not consistent answers on this question.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 02:54 PM

Your right Kathie there seems to be a varied response to this question as seen below.

Author: divediva
Date: 01/08/2006, 12:11 am
bkk to siem reap back to bkk then to phuket is 3 legs...and qualifies for the pass....even though you dont change plans, we had to consider it as 3 legs...still, with the discovery pass it was very affordable and worthwhile

Author: DoctorCarrie
Date: 03/13/2006, 10:50 am
I just saw this, and figured I'd respond for future trip planners (although, I'm sorry, it may be too late to be helful to you, LA FadeAway)...
We just returned from Cambodia and Thailand and did this very trip. From Siem Reap to Phuket counted as ONE international leg and uses only Discover Pass coupon - even though we changed planes in Bangkok. We flew BKK --> SR --> Phuket using only 2 Discovery Pass coupons - definitely worth the savings!!

Hope that helps travelers-to-be! Cheers, Carrie

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information