Search

Zion -Where to stay

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16th, 2004, 02:25 AM
njs
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zion -Where to stay

I will be driving from grand canyon - south rim to Zion.
We will start about 12noon-1pm from Grand canyon and planning to reach Zion around 7pm.
Hotels in Zion seem to be expensive.
Are hotels in Hurricane, Utah an option?
About 20-25 miles from zion, there is a travelodge, a comfort inn and a days inn.
Are these places ok to stay? They seem to be affordable.

I will be driving into zion next day morning amd remain there until evening 4pm.
Will staying in Hurrincane cause a problem to my plans?
Thanks!
Old Apr 16th, 2004, 03:00 AM

The Best Western Zion Park Inn has rooms in mid June for approximately $95. How much money would you save to be in Hurricane? It wouldn't be worth it to me to drive the extra miles.
Old Apr 16th, 2004, 03:26 AM

We only paid $50-55/night at El Rio Lodge in Springdale. It was older but clean and fine for sleeping and showering. We've also stayed at the Terrace Brook Lodge for $60/night. Perfectly fine as well.
Old Apr 16th, 2004, 07:38 AM

i stayed at el rio 2 years ago and found the room dark and small. the bed took up much of the room. i could not cancel, but the next day i moved to flannigan's. it was worth it. however, if you are only going to spend a short amount of time in zion (pity), i guess you won't be in the room much so what the heck.
Old Apr 16th, 2004, 09:16 AM

This is a fabulous place almost next door to the park: I would go back just to stay here again:
http://www.desertpearl.com/
Old Apr 16th, 2004, 09:28 AM

We got a senior rate at Flanigans this year for $79.00
Old Apr 16th, 2004, 09:32 AM

I don't know about lodging because we camp. I do know mileage. Hurricane is 20 miles an probably another 35 minute past Zion.

Have you allowed time in your schedule to stop at the scenic overlooks along Hwy 64 as you leave the S. Rim Village? Have you allowed time to see Lake Powell as you drive by? If not then maybe you should consider staying in Kanab, Utah. The next morning it will be an hour drive into Zion and you will have time to stop at the Checkerboard Mesa area before you travel thought the Zion Tunnel into the canyon.

Just an idea.

Utahtea
Old Apr 16th, 2004, 09:43 AM

I second Kanab. It was a great little place. There was an older hotel there that all the movie stars had stayed in. Unfortunately, there was a freak power outage in half of the town when we were there so they could not sell me a room. Instead I stayed at a more expensive place, a Clarion I think, that had taken over a large home. It was about $100, more than I'd expected to stay but that included a full breakfast for three. But there were other places there to choose from. They've got a great restaurant there downtown. It had great pies and chicken-fried steak.

Kanab was a real pleasure.
Old Apr 17th, 2004, 06:28 PM

My wife and I returned a week ago from visiting Bryce and Zion. We spent four nights at Zion and stayed at the Desert Pearl Inn in Springdale. Highly recommended. Convenient to the park. Room are comfortable and clean. Rate was $103 per night.
Old Apr 18th, 2004, 10:00 AM

We stayed at the Best western Zion park inn last summer for 4 nights and we thought it was lovely.I would definitely recomend it. It was considerably cheaper than the lodge in the park also. Very quiet , peaceful, lovely pool area - good although a little bit pricey restaurant.Small town nearby (5 minutes by car or 15 minute walk) with a nice pizzeria and a couple of other restaurants to choose from
it was a 15 minute drive to the shuttle buses to take you into the park , but that didn't bother us with such beautiful scenery around us.
Old Apr 18th, 2004, 12:06 PM

Can't wait to go back to Zion just for the chance to stay at the Desert Pearl again. We loved it. Can't remember the cost of the room but do remember thinking at the time that it was cheap for the lovely room, view, pool, etc.