Reload this Page >

Your thoughts on Westin Maui

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 08:57 AM
Mike

My daughter and future son in law are going on their honeymoon in mis-November. The travel agent had them booked at the Hyatt Regency in Maui, but they are going to do major renovation at that time. He advised them to switch to the Westin Maui.Your thoughts on the Westin? Or should they consider a different hotel in Maui like the Kea Lani or Outrigger?

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 10:00 AM
Vince

We stayed at the Westin Maui 2 years ago and thought it was great. Of course, we like the Westin Chain.

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 10:00 AM
Linda

We enjoyed the Westin Maui, which was beautiful and had five pools. The only thing that was disturbing was that our room overlooked the parking lot.

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 10:03 AM
Vince

Pay the extra there are rooms with better views. We always opt for an oceanview or oceanfront. Vince

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 10:12 AM
kwl

I would recommend they consider staying in Wailea, especially if it's their honeymoon. The Kea Lani looks beautiful from the outside and is supposed to be nice. The Outrigger has gotten some good reviews from other Fodorites, and is on a great beach.

We stayed at the Rennaissance in Wailea for our honeymoon in May 2001 and loved it. When we went back this past May, we decided to stay in a diff. part of the island. So, we chose the Hyatt in Kaanapali. We were also considering the Westin, but had noticed many posts about small rooms, etc. We were very happy at the Hyatt and loved everything about the hotel, except for its location - we prefer Wailea. The Wailea beaches are much nicer, the golfing is better, and then you just have your dining and lodging that are comparable.

Next time we head to Maui, it's back to Wailea. As for which hotel, I don't know, but it could likely be the Renn. again.

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 07:11 AM
jill

The Hyatt desperately needs that renovation. Westin is ok. More hotelish than resort feeling. Lots of honeymooners there and it's centrally located. Wailea is for older folks imho.

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 08:27 AM
HHHRRR

Stayed at the Westin this past Jan. and found it to be very nice. Great pool areas and conveniently located for dining etc..

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 09:07 AM
Frank Stefanec

We just returned from Wailea, having stayed at the Grand Wailea. There were honeymooners all over the place. Actually, the GW was just featured on the Travel Channel as the #2 most something, like seductive, secluded, etc resort in the World. Great place. Huge and spralling. Lots of kids because of its great, fabulous pool and slides, but the honeymooners didn't seem to mind.
We've stayed at the Westin 3x before and loved it too. Kaanapali has a totally different feel than Wailea. Kaanapali is more exciting, more things happening, and the Westin is right next store to the Whaler's Village shopping center. Also located there are 3 restaurants. The place hops at nite. Loads of people mingling, eating, shopping etc. GW has the Shops @ Wailea within a 3 minutes walk. Stores are pretty comparable. You will find Tiffany's, Tommy Bahama, etc in both. Kaanapali beach is more expansive. You can walk for about 45 minutes up and down. Waves are higher, rougher in Kaanapali. If they want to take a sail boat out for a snorkel trip, many pull right up to Kaanapali beach to pick them up. You have to take a 25 minute trip to the Maalaea harbor if you want to catch a snorkel trip from Wailea. The beach at the GW and Kea Lani are smaller, cove type beaches. Actually, I enjoyed the snorkeling right off the southern part of the beach as did my wife, who usually doesn't. We took out sailboats to fool around in, and many folks had kayak's out in the am. The resorts in Wailea are basically more upscale than those of Kaanapali. And way more expensive. Westin is part of Starwood, and as a Starwood member usually you can find 35% discounts around. There is a Sheraton up the beach from the Westin, a sister property of Starwood. The Sheraton is probably a bit nicer than the Westin. I like the Westin's central location in Kaanapali though. Wailea is basically a desert, so you get very little rain. In our trips to Kaanapali, we had rain only 1 day out of our entire time spent there, so the weather is comparable.
The Kea Lani is a gorgeous place. Totally white with a cove beach, great restaurants, like Nick's Fishmarket. Service was impeccable. Westin is a bit more "relaxed," but it has a more Hawaiian feel to it. We'll be going back for our 25th anniversary next year and will go to the GW. I could go to the Westin too and be very very happy. btw, the GW also has an adults only pool with 2 jacuzzi's . Totally at the GW were 5 jacuzzi'x, 2 slides, one divided into about 5 parts, and an outdoor sauna. Also has a swim up bar behind a water fall Only knock on the KeaLani is that the pool seemed a bit smallish. Neither Wailea nor Kaanapali has much nite life, but I'm sure honeymooners will find something to do in the evening. Saw a sign on a restaurant "open late 9pm."
If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask me directly or here.
Frank

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 09:16 AM
Jerry

That travel agent is a moron.
Westin is being overrun by people there on junkets to look at the timeshare promos.
The place is in need of renovation.
The better hotels are in Wailea.
Kids like the nightlife in Lahaina, though, and prefer K for that reason.

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 09:29 AM
x

Frank writes "Kaanapali is more exciting, more things happening, and the Westin is right next store to the Whaler's Village shopping center."

Next Store?????? Are you serious? Next DOOR!

The Hyatt is great. Too bad it will be unavailable at the time. The Westin is not a runner-up to the Hyatt. If they want to stay in Kaanapali you might try the Sheraton instead. If they think they might like Wailea they really should try Kea Lani.

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 12:55 PM
Don

Hi Mike,

My new bride and I just returned from a four island honeymoon in Hawaii. We are both 26. By far the Westin and the island of Maui were our stand out favorites. We did go to each hotel in Ka'anapali and Wailea just because we plan on returning in the future. I can say with total conviction that Ka'anapali is were you want to be. Wailea's okay, a bit too hyped up in my estimation. The scenery around Ka'anapali is much better...mountains behind, lanai and molokai in front. Plus more green than Wailea. Wailea was flat and dull by comparison. Plus an older crowd and less restaurant and shopping choices. On Ka'anapali the Westin was perfect. The most gorgeous property on the beach, seriously! The Hyatt is also nice but too big; you have to walk forever to get anywhere. The sheraton up the beach and the Marriott would be our second and third choices with the Hyatt coming in fourth. Being right next to Whalers village for all the beachfront restaurants was great too. I was quite skeptical after reading the postings on the Westin on this site, but couldn't have pictured a better place once we got there. P.S. The rooms are average hotel size in the Beach Tower and are immaculate. (What do you need a giant room for anyway, Hawaii?? Hello? go enjoy the property and the island.

Don

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 05:16 PM
Joe

Everyone is certainly welcome to express his/her opinion, but as regards the Westin Maui, I would ask this:
if it's so great why is it ranked 29th out of 29 Hawaiian hotels listed in the 2002 Conde Nast list?

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 11:45 PM
bluefan

Mike, make sure to contact the Maui Hyatt directly to confirm duration and type of renovations. I was just there in July 02, and the entire hotel and rooms were fine IMO. In fact, they upgraded all the rooms not too long ago.

If you want to get some objective advice on all Maui hotels, get the Maui Revealed book and access their website. Even they label the Hyatt as a gem and offer only fair comments re the Westin.

Obviously, I'm a little partial to the Hyatt just like the people who stayed at the Westin would be partial to it. But I totally disagree with Jil's comment "the Hyatt desperately needs renovation." If there's a hotel that needs renovation, that would be the Westin according to the authors of MR, "the resort shows its age more than it should, but it's still pretty nice."

The Hyatt has arguably the best, most-varied grounds on Maui. Maybe it's too spread out for people like Don ("too big"), but such expansiveness would probably be ideal for honeymooners. Besides, the distance between Whaler's Village and the Hyatt should be a nice, easy stroll for young honeymooners, and they should have a car to go to just about anyplace on Maui.

If not the Hyatt in Kaanapali, I would spring for the Renaissance in Wailea. The place exudes casual elegance and has lush grounds second only to the Hyatt. But if you can afford the luxury class for your daughter, spring for the Ritz, Four Seasons or Kea Lani. Most people would put the Grand Wailea in that class, but it may seem more "Disney", kid-friendly than the others albeit there shouldn't be many keikis in Nov.

Once again, I would do some add'l research using sources like Maui Revealed (I'm sure the future newlyweds would be too busy to) to select the most preferable place. With what you have in mind already though, I can't imagine them not enjoying any of those resorts in Maui on their honeymoon.

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 11:50 PM
Ron

My goodness--for some of you people to rave and rave and rave about a hotel as COMMON and PLAIN as the Westin is quite astounding! And Frank, are you really quite SURE that you stayed at the Grand Wailea? Because, quite frankly, I just can't imagine you enjoying the Westin for even a nanosecond after staying there!! And everybody knows that if you want an UPSCALE, BEAUTIFUL environment, then Wailea is the place to go (flat and dry, as someone suggested?!? HARDLY!!)! If you want to go where the "common folk" go, with very unimpressive beaches, then Kaanapali is the place for you!!

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 02:22 AM
kim

Here is something to think about. If it rains as it sometimes does in the winter on Maui, there is no place to go but to your room at the Westin. They have no indoor facilities for entertainment or for eating. That idiotic restaurant Tropica certainly can't 758 rooms worth of people if it rains. They heard you into a ballroom like a bunch of cattle for a buffet.

The Westin has gone so far downhill IMHO. We used to love going there but now they cater to the $500.00 for 6 night crowd, they have hip hop bands playing very late into the night and the service is lousy. Quite a few of the suites are located above Tropica, so if you have a suite just be prepared to listen to very loud hip hop music until 1:00 am. Kids run the show there and their parents are nowhere to be found. This is not my idea of a vacation.

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 04:49 AM
Don

The consensus here seems to be that:
Everyone is different and depending on any number of factors like interests, demographics, price, general likes and dislikes each will choose someplace different. I would first have the Honeymooners read up on both Kaanapali and Wailea to discern which areas attributes appeal to them more. From there look into places and compare hotels/resorts and the best price you can get for each...unless price isn't a concern. Put it all together and look at the whole picture. You can get opinions from a Hundred people or more in this forum and still be no closer to a decision because in the end your individuality guarantees that your opinion of a place won't be exactly the same as anothers, or even the majority in some cases. I know, I researched this forum and guidebooks including Maui revealed for months (and by the way that guidebook is great, although all guidebooks, where restaurants and hotels are concerned, can be subjective and quickly become out of date [eg. The Westin has since undergone a room renovation].) I had a reservation at the Marriott in Wailea and at the last minute chose to change it to the Westin and was very glad I did. Your daughter may not have the same opinion. Big deal.

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 08:37 AM
meg

Regarding the Hyatt Maui - I stayed for two nights before going to Kauai,thirs week of Sep. Gorgeous grounds, rooms are very nice, definitely renovated - great bathroom set up - but we had a "partial ocean" view, it was of the parking lot with a view of water if we stretched to look from the balcony. Half of the pool (the part with the swing, swim-up bar in a cave)was closed for renovation, sign said they were building a children's pool. I had called two months prior, when making reservations, they said there was no work planned on the pool. I would check on the status for their trip.

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 09:48 AM
CoachBoy

I'd avoid the entire Kaanapali area - too touristy and crowded. We stayed at the Westin - room was nice, but SMALL. Had great view of ocean, but waterfalls made LOTS OF NOISE all night, and we were on the 9th floor. Didn't hear the surf at all. Pool great for kids (we have 5year old), and waterslide lots of fun for adults too. Adults only pool was relaxing and not crowded.
Convienient location next to Whalers Village, close to Lahaina as well.

It felt to "urban" for me - sorta like Florida with one hotel on top of the other.

When I go to Hawaii, I want to feel like I'm 2500 miles from the mainland. Haven't been to south Maui, but I'd say Big Island (4S, Mauna Lani, Mauna Kea) or Kauai (Princeville) have a much more tropical, remote feel.

Dining is tops in Maui. But I don't think foods very good in Hawaii anyway.

CoachBoy