Your Experience useing Airlink Shuttles in NY

Aug 28th, 2008, 10:07 PM
Original Poster

Your Experience useing Airlink Shuttles in NY

Hi everyone,Does anyone have any experience using the Airlink Shuttles from JFK to get downtown for sight seeing? Does it take awhile? I am looking for the best way to see some sights leaving from JFK as my husband and I will have to check our luggage first. Thank-you in advance for any info.
Aug 29th, 2008, 06:11 AM

We've already answered this question for you in your other thread---at great length---but I guess you didn't like our answers.

The fastest way back to the city from JFK is the Airtrain/LIRR combination. Shared shuttles make several stops, so they are usually the slowest way to get into Manhattan. You also have to arrange to be picked up at a specific point for the return and have no guarantee that you will be the last pick-up. Shared service typically require you to be picked up 3 hours or more before a flight from JFK.

If you want to take New York Airport Service, it will take you to a specific pick up and drop-off point with no stops in between, which is generally more convenient since it's close to Grand Central. But you will still be stuck in traffic. Airtrain is still the best way for you since you have very limited time.
Aug 29th, 2008, 06:43 AM
J62

I think I understand the itinerary here now.

- Arrive Port of NY in Manhattan on Princess Cruise ship. (after cruise to New England)
- Travel to JFK to check in bags.
- Return to Manhattan to sight see.
- Return to JFK to fly home.

I don't envy you having to schlep to JFK and back.
Aug 29th, 2008, 10:29 AM

Airlink Shuttles do NOT do sightseeing. They just take you from the airport to a central spot in the city. You will see mostly highways lines by residential, than industrial areas - and in the city lots of buildings and traffic. There is no guide or commentary - this is just transport.

If you want to take a bus tour - although I think they are a waste of time and money - you need to organize one in Manhattan - and they cost much more than Airlink.
Aug 29th, 2008, 09:47 PM
Original Poster

Dear Doug, I did get your earlier reply. And I do appreciate it! The reason I asked this question again is because I was looking at citysightsny.com and they had a shuttle service called Airlink and I thought it was one that picked up a group all at once and dropped off at one location. Not one that did a bunch of stops. I was not trying to offend you. I just am trying to come up with a plan that is the most effective.
Aug 30th, 2008, 10:22 AM

There are shuttles that go to specific places. From JFK one goes to Grand Central and the other to Penn Station. And they will pick people up from various terminals to go there.

They do not sightsee - they are just transport into Manhattan.

There are no sightseeing buses starting at the airport - only in Manhattan.
Aug 30th, 2008, 08:52 PM

I think some may be misreading the OP's original question:

"Does anyone have any experience using the Airlink Shuttles from JFK to get downtown FOR sight seeing?"

I read that as asking a way to get from the airport TO downtown (midtown?) for sightseeing -- not that the sightseeing is done as part of the shuttle!

Sep 1st, 2008, 12:35 PM
Original Poster

Thank-you NeoPatrick!!! Thats what I mean. I Know other companies offer tours from downtown.
Sep 1st, 2008, 12:39 PM

1) Shuttle buses like Airlink that drop everyone off at their own hotel take the absolute longest of any possible way to get into Manhattan.

2) Tour buses leave from MIDTOWN in Manhattan, not downtown.

Sep 1st, 2008, 12:51 PM

The biggest issue here is still the one raised by J62: if your ship docks in Manhattan, you will waste 2-3 hours taking your luggage to JFK and then returning to Manhattan for some sightseeing. In your other post, ideas for places to check your luggage in Manhattan were given. Do look into the recommendations and avoid making an unnecessary round-trip to JFK.