You don't need a silver fork......

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2016, 10:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone. We are gearing up for our trip to New York in a couple of weeks. I thought I'd present our itinerary and perhaps wrangle some food suggestions based on where we'll be each day.

Arrive June 7 at 6 am- check into Beacon and drop our bags. I had thought to breakfast at Jacobs Pickles, but don't think it's open til 9. That will probably give us a good hour to kill by the time we get to the hotel, so I was thinking , instead, maybe Irving Farms or Alices Tea Cup. Then we'll be wandering Central Park and making our way to the Met and probably killing the better part of a day. Looking fo r dinner suggestions . I was considering Brooklyn Diner on 57th for dinner and then letting the kids feast at Lady M. This will probably be an early night since we flew in on a redeye.

June 8th- 12 p.m. Vertical Tour at St. John the Divine. We'll probably grab a bagel along the way ( Absolute Bagels or Barney Greengrass?) Later that day making our way to midtown to explore St. Patrick's, Chrysler Building ( outside), Bryant Park, 7pm Rockefeller Center tour With 9:30 ToR tickets. I know this area isn't food Mecca, but a couple of lunch/ dinner suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I have seen good reviews of El Sabor del Rey ( Iknow it's a cart), NumPang and Kati Roll.

June9th- We thought we'd explore Greenwich Village area. Too many food choices here I think. I'd love to try Raffettos if they have prepared food available and it's not too far from where we are. It would also be a shame to miss Venieros. Mamoum's , Jane?
Maybe a picnic style lunch or early dinner at St Luke in the field. I hear the gardens are pretty.
Return to hotel
King and I at 7 pm

June 10- My husband and son will visit Lady Liberty and Ellis Island while daughter and I shop and have tea at the Plaza. At loose ends for the evening open to suggestions for things to do and dinner.

June 11- Woolworth Building tour(?) , Walk the Brooklyn Bridge, explore Brooklyn and take the East River Ferry back in the late afternoon. I think there is a stop at 34th in midtown? Not sure how we'd get from there to the Guggenheim. My son is dying to see the inside and I think Saturday after 5:45, admission is flexible. Brooklyn food suggestions or any other suggestions welcome.

June12- AMNH , Central Park some more or? Anything yummy UWS. 7pm flight home

Thank you everyone for your guidance.
Old May 12th, 2016, 11:10 PM

The bagels at Absolute were some of the best I have ever had.

Raffetto's does not have prepared food.

The Guggenheim does not have a good permanent collection. You can enter, see in the interior design and not pay an entrance fee.
Old May 13th, 2016, 05:56 AM
Original Poster

Imdonehere- Thank you for the tip on the Guggenheim. Although I wouldn't mind perusing the museum, my son only wants to see Frank Lloyd Wright's work up close and personal and my preference for a second museum stop would be to visit MoMa on Wednesdayor the Frick. Do you just tell them " hey, we"re only here for a quick peak at the architecture" or do you enter before paying admission?

I got many of the ideas mentioned above from you. Thank you. Any thoughts on midtown? My husband and son also plan to visit Nom wah on the 10th before meeting back up with my daughter and me. Also a suggestion from you. I really wanted to try Paul's daBurger Joint ,but can't see where it would make a convenient stop.

Anyone have any favorite places in Brooklyn?
Also, completely off topic, does the 6 run from 34th near the ferry stop on Saturday nights up to UES? I looked at the timetable and it looked like there was a gap in service of Saturday night's. Maybe I wasn't reading it correctly?
Old May 13th, 2016, 06:52 AM

I really do not know midtown nor the theater district.

As far as the Guggenheim is concerned, unless things have changed, you can enter and have a good gander before you have to buy a ticket. You do not have tell anyone of your intentions.
Old May 13th, 2016, 11:07 AM

Midtown you might try David Chang's Ma Peche on West 56th Street.

https://mapeche.momofuku.com/mapeche/menu/lunch/

Maybe I Sodi for dinner one night. (In West Village; need to book ahead)
Or Gato, on Lafayette Street.
(Those are just two place I happen to return to fairly often but really, there are so many choices, best to narrow down price and type of food)
Old May 13th, 2016, 02:12 PM

Have you bought tickets for the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island yet? If not, do that ASAP.

Lee Ann
Old May 13th, 2016, 06:44 PM

you will have to check the MTA weekender site for 6 service to ues . Service changes vary from week to week.
Old May 13th, 2016, 11:07 PM
Original Poster

Elendilpickle- yes, we booked those tickets a couple of months ago, but I appreciate the advice. Now if I can only locate the email.

Maxima- Good to know. I would have thought there would only be seasonal changes or week/ weekend schedules. Any suggestions for getting uptown if the 6 isn't running? Are taxis readily available at the ferry stop?

Ekscrunchy- All good suggestions. We have liked Bobby Flay places in the past.
Old May 14th, 2016, 05:25 AM

Any suggestions for getting uptown if the 6 isn't running? Are taxis readily available at the ferry stop?

The last stop for the 6 train is Brooklyn Bridge. It is does not go down to the ferry. At three different nearby stations are the R, the 1, and at another station 4 and 5. They are all close to the ferry terminal.
Old May 14th, 2016, 06:23 AM

IMDonehere, the OP was referring to one of the East River ferries that stops at 34th Street. (IMDonehere offered information about traveling from the Staten Island Ferry at Battery Park.)

The ferry terminal is three-quarters of a mile from the 6 train at Park Avenue and 33rd St. If you are worried about the 6 train not running, from the ferry terminal, take a taxi to the Guggenheim, which might cost $20 or so.

If that seems too pricey, from the ferry terminal take a taxi to Grand Central Terminal (one subway stop north of the 33rd St. stop). From there you have three subway options to 86th St--4, 5, or 6--one of which will be sure to be running. Take a quick look at the terminal before heading uptown.
Old May 14th, 2016, 06:37 AM

Sorry.
Old May 14th, 2016, 11:56 PM
Original Poster

Imdonehere- Oh my gosh. No apology needed. You have been so helpful.

Ellenem- thank you. So it should be no problem catching a taxi from there? I had read a post about how difficult it is to catch a cab in the evening in certain areas. Perhaps not there.
Old May 15th, 2016, 02:40 AM

I do not think you will have trouble finding a taxi. If you are worried, I would dowload UBER if you do not already have it. Just make sure to double check to guard against surge pricing with UBEr.
Old May 16th, 2016, 12:55 AM
Original Poster

Yes, I've read about the infamous surge pricing. We've never used Uber. I know , we must be living under a rock.
Old May 16th, 2016, 02:52 AM

Don't worry about not using Uber and being under a rock. We have given up using it since we had too many problems. Twice had had drivers demand extra money when we got home "because there was extra traffic" - and no there wasn't. But even so a price is supposed to be a price.

And now they charge waiting time after 2 minutes (and that can easily be eaten up finding a specific car in front of a busy building when there are 5 or 6 cars waiting - or even just taking an elevator downstairs).
Old May 16th, 2016, 02:53 AM

I've used it in several cities and never had a problem. Anyway, you should be able to get a cab so no worries.
Old May 16th, 2016, 05:26 AM

Also keep in mind that we have buses in NYC, and most people on the east side ride the bus regularly in addition to the subway. If you get a limited bus going up 1st or 3rd Avenue, you can get uptown almost as fast as on the subway on a weekend, but slower on a weekday. Your Metrocard will work on both. The bus also goes up Madison, which gets you closer to the Guggenheim.

You can also take the bus from a point near the ferry stop on 34th to the subway so you don't have to walk.
Old May 16th, 2016, 01:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. Those are all excellent suggestions.