Yosemite questions on hiking next weekend

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2010, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had planned on hiking the Panorama Trail which finishes with the Mist Trail. However, Glacier Point Road is closed and is highly unlikely to open before next weekend (May21-24) (according to ranger and DNC Resorts). So, I now plan to hike The Mist Trail in both directions instead of just the decent. So do I want to go up John Muir and then return on Mist Trail or vice versa? Or should I go up Mist Trail and then back down it? Sounds like the waterfalls will be going good. I also plan to Hike Wapama Falls in Hetch Hetchy. Also plan to spend better part of the day in Maripossa Grove. Is there any other great hikes that I need to consider?
Old May 15th, 2010, 12:18 PM
maj

There is also the 4 mile trail that was recommended to us that goes up to Glacier Point and then you could take the Panorama Trail down the other side (or vice versa). The only problem may be that they start at two different locations. You could probably take the free trolley back to your car. We didn't hike the 4 mile or the John Muir but really liked the Panorama Trail itself. The trails may be open even if the road itself isn't.

We hiked down the Mist Trail -- since we didn't do the John Muir I can't say for sure, but it seems to me that it would be better viewing going up the Mist and down John Muir (because you would be facing the falls). Are you going all the way up to Glacier Point? If I remember right the Mist and John Muir trails intersect at Nevada Falls so you would be going up to Glacier Point and back down the same trail for that part of the route.
Old May 15th, 2010, 12:53 PM

Mariposa Grove was closed when we were there two weeks ago.
We were told that that road, which was being repaired, and the one to Glacia Point wpould be closed until July. Both areas had a tremendous increase in snowfall this winter.
Old May 15th, 2010, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

I haven't seen anything that says the road to Maripossa is closed. I thought all that was closed was Tioaga and Glacier Point.
Old May 15th, 2010, 01:10 PM
Original Poster

I think you are right the road is closed. Dang, I am actually thinking about cancelling my trip.
Old May 15th, 2010, 05:16 PM

If Vernal Falls is at full capacity, the Mist Trail may be very wet and slippery. The JM might be a better alternative. You won't know for sure until you are there.

There are so many great trails in Yosemite Valley that it would be foolish to cancel your trip just because a couple are not available. Yosemite will be great and in full splendor. However, Memorial Day weekend would not have been my choice for timing.
Old May 15th, 2010, 06:13 PM
Original Poster

this is the weekend before Memorial Day weekend.
Old May 16th, 2010, 10:56 AM

This is one of the nicest times in the Sierra's & we have had a ton of snow this year. You may hit the very short period of time when the Dogwood trees are in bloom, which is spectacular to see. Don't cancel your trip! Call & talk to one of the rangers about some alternatives. What about touring Yosemite Valley by bike? Hiking along the river is also very beautiful.
Old May 16th, 2010, 03:40 PM
maj

What about the trail to Upper Yosemite falls? Also, not sure what your options are, but you said something about a hike on your way back to San Jose-- it won't take you long to hike at Hetch Hetchy. In fact it seemed like it took us longer to get there from the valley than it took us to hike it. It is also on the way (one way anyway) back to SF area so it might be an option to hike that after you leave the valley.