Search

Must See/Must Eats

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2010, 04:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Must See/Must Eats

WIth help from folks on here I have booked 4 nights at the Affinia Gardens NYC for late June. We are 2 adults and a 15 yr old boy and 12 yr old girl. We want to hit the highlights for the kids-Empire State Building, Liberty Island, MOMA.

What other things would you suggest we see? Thought of a show, but not sure what would please both kids. Did a red bus tour last time husband and I were there. It was a good way to see alot but we spent so much time sitting in traffic not sue we will do that again.

Affinia is at East 64th. Any can't miss sights or resturants near there? Where exactly is Little Italy?

Thanks for your ideas and suggestions.
Old May 14th, 2010, 04:25 AM

Id skip the ESB and do the Top of the Rock. More central to sights and you get a great view of the ESB. Plus you can get time-controlled tickets so less lines.

Definitely walk / bike through Central Park. I really enjoy the Museum of Natural History and would highly recommend it.

If into baseball, look into a Yankees or Mets game. Not cheap but worth it. Does take a lot of time.

I wouldn't do the bus tour as you do sit in too much traffic.
Old May 14th, 2010, 04:42 AM

What's left of Little Italy is just north of Chinatown. I'm afraid that what you'll find there is a collection of mediocre restaurants living off tourists hoping to find past glory.
Old May 14th, 2010, 05:21 AM

The center of Little Italy is around Grand and Mulberry Streets. We were pretty disappointed by Little Italy - it consists mostly of mediocre Italian restaurants.

Another vote for Top of the Rock. It is most impressive around sunset or at night. Get a timed ticket via the internet. www.topoftherocknyc.com

I am not sure if a trip to Liberty Island is worth the hassle (expect very long lines at various places). You get excellent views from the Staten Island Ferry.

If you are willing to splurge and to offer kids a very special experience, take a helicopter ride. Short tours start at $139 p.p.
Old May 14th, 2010, 05:59 AM

You might also want to check into getting tickets for the King Tut Exhibit at the Discovery Center. I believe there's also an IMAX movie available too. Educational and fun for both you and the kids.

There are a lot of "kid-friendly" shows out there, if you don't want to commit ahead of time, you could get tickets at the TKTS booth day of show (or down at the South St. Seaport there's another one where you can get tickets the day before).

If you have a nice day, the free boat ride out to Governor's Island is great, you get fabulous views of Manhatten and the Statue of Liberty. Highly recommend.

The High Line is another fun walk (short) above NY, from 23rd & 10th down to the Meatpacking neighborhood. Chelsea Piers is another fun place for the kids, lots of activites there too.

I agree with the above posters about Little Italy and Top of the Rock vs. the ESB.

That should get you started!
Old May 14th, 2010, 06:34 AM

"We want to hit the highlights for the kids-Empire State Building, Liberty Island, MOMA."

Just verifying . . . MOMA is the Museum of MODERN Art, and is an excellent collection, but it is indeed all modern art, which may not be to everyone's interest. It has a set admission price of $20.

The Met (sometimes abbreviated MMA) is the Metropolitan Museum of Art, and is a collection of art from around the world and across the centuries and millennia—Egyptian art, French impressionists, arms and armor, fashion, Renaissance masters, Islamic masterpieces, furniture, sculpture, and much much more—as well as some modern art. It has a "suggested admission" of $20, but you can pay what you wish.
Old May 14th, 2010, 06:40 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Does Target still sponsor free Friday evenings at MOMA.

We went and for our tastes it was worth just about what we paid.

Now the Met is a different story.

When we're in NY we make it a point to walk parts of The Park every day. Each day of the week is a different experience. Sundays bring out the interesting people.
Old May 14th, 2010, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much. All info. I wanted. Met sounds better for us than MOMA, thanks! Little Italy sounds like something to be skipped..........
Old May 14th, 2010, 09:28 AM

A walk down Fifth Avenue from Central Park (at 59th Street) to the NY Public Library (at 42nd Street) -- passing on the way, FAO Schwarz, the Plaza, Tiffany's, Berdorf Goodman, Trump Tower, St. Patrick's Cathedral, Saks Fifth Avenue, Rockefeller Center and more).
Old May 14th, 2010, 09:36 AM

Little Italy is przcticay gone and not worth the trip. The ESB has huge lines - do Top of the Rock instead. Major museum for kids that age is Natual History - combined with a visit to Central Park.

To climb the SoL you need to get tickets months in advance. And I woudln;t even attempt the ferry to view Liberty and Ellis Islands without reservations - the wait can be hours. (Or you cn get a fairly close view from the free Staten Island ferry which runs every 15 or 20 mintes 24/7.)
Old May 14th, 2010, 09:51 AM

The Museum of Natural History also has "suggested admission". My daughter takes her college friends to both there and Met museum when they come here to visit, and they pay $1.

These museum run along opposite sides of central park, so from either, you can visit the park as well. MoMA has free Friday evenings, but they are VERY crowded.

There are lots of show that would work for your family. What comes to mind is: Phantom of the Opera, In the Heights, South Pacific, Hair, and Wicked (this would be my top pick).
Old May 14th, 2010, 09:55 AM

You should also do a stroll through the village area. Start at Union Square Park (which also happens to be a huge hangout area for teens), and stroll down 5th to Washington Square Park (always busy, with lots of street entertainment). Along 5th, you can stop in the Forbes Gallery, which is free. You can also wander east to St. Marks place (e. 8th st), and check out all the interesting little restaurants in the area, and have dinner there. Go to Veniero's Bakery for dessert (e. 11th St).
Old May 14th, 2010, 09:58 AM

To add to my previous post, when in Union Square check out the Green Market (if Mon, Wed, Fri or Sat).

Also on the weekends, there's always a street fair somewhere. You can google "nyc street fairs" for calendars.
Old May 14th, 2010, 10:29 AM

Get a book on NYC for the kids so they can help with the planning and pick some things they would like to see and do, easier on you and gets them more involved in the trip.

Lots of History in lower Manhattan, and several good museums, American Indian at the foot of Broadway and the Holocaust Museum a few block west right on the water. Also stop and see Battery Park and the Globe on display that was the center piece of the World Trade Center. Heading up Broadway at the Merrill Lynch Building the site of the World Trade Center is now mostly a construction zone, but if you head a few more blocks north you will find St. Paul's Chapel with an exhibit of 9/11 and memorials to all who took part in the rescues.

From there you can walk East past City Hall and up to Canal St and East again to Chinatown, on Mott St, and find a great place for a Dim Sum lunch (if the kids a at all adventerous), Mandarin Court is my favorite there. After lunch walk back up to Canal St and turn left to Little Italy and walk up for one of the yummy deserts offered at any of the cafes there.

From there you can continue walking uptown and see Old St. Patricks.

At Houston St. turn left and head west and up a few blocks to The Village West or turn right and head into the East Village.

IF East Village, a MUST STOP is the "fries" stop Pomme Fritte on 3rd just south of St. Marks place. This is a spot the kids will talk about for a LONG time. The BEST fries there and your choice of sauces for dipping. From there walk up to 11th and 2nd Ave to Veniero's for the BEST pasteries in the city (imho) and pick some to take back to your room for later snacking.

WEll that's one day planned for you, lol.

Have a GREAT trip.
Old May 14th, 2010, 03:44 PM
Original Poster

THANKS, I need 4 weeks instead of 4 days! These are really great ideas. Our kids love to eat and will try anything so we are lucky there.
Old May 14th, 2010, 05:15 PM

Children are free at the Museum of Modern Art. A great Museum with great food .
Old May 14th, 2010, 05:17 PM

and I forgot you can get combo tickets for Top of the Rock and the Museum of Moden Art for
$30 for adults.
Old May 14th, 2010, 05:28 PM

If yiur kids like to eat, now is the time to expose them to all sorts of etrhnic food. Avoid all chains.

Indian-Banjara, Mitali, Haveli

Jewish Deli-2nd AVe Deli, Katz's

Dim sun (Go during the week) Jing Fung, Golden Unicorn

Northern Itlian- I Coppi, Supper

Romano- Cacio e Pepe

Pizza-Motorino

Eatsern European-Veselka, National Ukranian

Moroccan-Cafe Magador

French Bistro (this is not haute French but steak and fries, omelets, mussels and fries, and chicken.) Much cheaper than haute-Lucien, Casimir, Flea Market

Great Italian sanwiches-meatball, potato and egg, parms of all sorts. Take my word, it will taste different than anything you have eaten-Dafonte's.
Old May 14th, 2010, 05:32 PM

I think the Empire State Building is worth any wait. It's such a great NY icon. I took my daughter to the top on her first trip to NYC and I'm so happy we both did it! We went in the a.m. and there weren't any lines to speak of. I wouldn't dissuade anyone from going for it. Sounds as though the views from the TTR are more beautiful and that the process is easier, so we may do that on our next trip but I'm glad I've been to the top of the Empire State Building
Next month we are going to take the ferry to Liberty Is. and Ellis Is. We'll enjoy the close-up view of The Statue but continue on to Ellis Is. to explore the Immigration Museum. I can't wait. I have 8am tickets for the ferry and got them on-line one month before the reservation date.
Re. The Met, you will love it and I highly recommend taking your daughter (at least) to the Costume Institute on the ground floor. http://www.metmuseum.org/Works_of_Ar...tume_institute

Check out the Broadway Banter thread re. shows to get an idea of what appeals to you. Your family might really love a good musical!

Not sure it's been mentioned yet but the Lower East Side Tenement Museum is highly recommended in these forums. I am finally going next month and can't wait. You can (and probably should) buy tickets to the tours online, in advance. www.tenement.org

Good luck!
Old May 16th, 2010, 10:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -