Hiking with family in Yosemite

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1st, 2012, 02:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I, with our two children (15 and 12) will be staying for two nights in Curry village and then three nights at the Tenaya Lodge. (mid August). I need suggestions for "must do" hikes that are conveniently located to both. I have been researching on line and considered taking the shuttle from the Yosemite Lodge to Glacier Point and then hiking from there. Would it make sense to go down the Panorama
Trail and hook up with the Mist Trail? How strenuous is it, and will we be able to get a shuttle back to Curry Village at some point? is this necessary? We are in good shape,. but I anticipate a bit of complaining from my 12 year old.

I'd really like a couple of points of interest that you highly recommend. Also, we thought we might horseback ride by the Tenaya Lodge. Any in particular that are great? Maybe for a couple of hours.

I appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks!
Old Aug 1st, 2012, 03:41 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
It's very possible that by mid-August the waterfalls will by dry. Maybe not so I'd make a few plans.

Once you start the Panorama hike there's no stopping so if there's complaining it's too bad.

Some shorter though very scenic hikes could be
1) The Mist Trail - depending upon how everybody feels you can go to Vernal falls and return or go further to Nevada Falls.

You can even do this hike starting at Curry Village.

2) About the end from Glacier Point (obviously along Glacier Road) there are two hikes Sentinel Dome and taft Point. Both have spectacular views of the Valley. It's possible to cut across from Sentinel Dome towards Taft Point so that you don't have to go back to the trailhead.

I tried to do that mid-June last year and got lost (I was doing the hike alone). There was a fair amount of snow and the trail to taft Pt was difficult to find in the snow. Eventually, I joined up with a family from Germany who had a GPS. I'm not sure how much that helped as we crossed the same stream several times. By the time we found our way back to the parking area another lost couple had joined us and we passed several groups also looking for Taft Pt. Probably easier with no snow.
Old Aug 1st, 2012, 03:43 PM

We were in Yosemite when our son was about 12, and remember enjoying the mist trail up past Vernal Falls and back. Enjoyed eating our lunch while fighting off squirrels and Steller(?)jays.

~Liz
Old Aug 1st, 2012, 03:47 PM

For 2) that should have been about a half mile from Glacier Point.
Old Aug 1st, 2012, 03:57 PM
Original Poster

Great info. But is the Panoramic trail something that is so spectacular that we should put up with complaining? And you basically hike back to curry Village from either trail?
Old Aug 2nd, 2012, 06:09 AM

I've done the Panorama trail, as well as Half Dome and Yos Falls several times. Don't underestimate the Panorama trail, even though it's not that long and "mostly downhill". I would hike up the Mist trail for as long as your family is comfortable, then return. That's my two cents.
Old Aug 2nd, 2012, 06:31 AM
Original Poster

OK, thanks. I don't want to overplay my 12 year olds' feelings, she may be fine. Just wanted an honest assessment of trails and which ones are worth while.

does it make sense to take the shuttle to Glacier Point? can you easily drive there and is there adequate parking?

How about other whorthwhile trails nearby and by the Tenaya Lodge?

if anyone has suggestions about horseback riding near Tenaya that would be great.
Old Aug 2nd, 2012, 08:47 AM

Ok. Now my feelings. Yosemite is beautiful. However, I'd have a hard tome convincing myself to go back.

First, Yosemite has to be the most commercial national park. Everything seems to be structured to get you to buy tickets for something.

Second, people who go there like their cars. Even though there's a free shuttle in the Valley, they charge for the infrequent one to Glacier Point.

I think they should build a parking lot where the main road turns into Glacier Road. Then they could have one or two shuttle busses going back and forth all day. They could even charge some nominal amount like .50 or even a dollar to go the full length and then return back to the parking lot on a later bus.

The parking lot at Glacier Point is way too small. If you go after early morning there's a good chance the lot will be full.

A little before the end of the road is Washburn Point. There is less parking there but the view of Half Dome is similar to Glacier Pt. However, at Glacier Point you can walk around to the left and see Yosemite Falls.

About a half mile further back (Obviously I started at the end and am working backwards) there's a very small pullout with only a few parking spaces. This is the trailhead for both Sentinel Dome and Taft Point. Most people will pull as far of the road as they can and park there along the side. That's how I knew this was where I wanted to be. I didn't see a sign on the road. Just a trail sign once I started hiking.

I did Sentinel Dome first (Above I described getting lost). It's pretty easy and then climbing this gigantic rock dome is fun. The circular views from the top are spectacular.

Going in August you shouldn't have trouble then cutting across and going to Taft Point.

Although I did that hike myslef I had actually taken my daughter and granddaughter on the trip. That day they stayed in the Valley and took an art class and a junior ranger hike.

The next day we went to the Grove and on the way back went down Glacier Road. There was no parking at Glacier Pt but we found a spot at the much smaller lot for Washburn Pt and got out to walk around and enjoy the view.

Just as we left there was a traffic jam. Somebody said there was a bear. My daughter somehow pulled off to the side of the road and we jumped out to take photos. That bear was less than a mile from where I got lost the day before.

You can see photos of the trip at:

www.travelwalks.com
Old Aug 2nd, 2012, 12:57 PM

We walked the Mariposa Grove ratter than taking the tram. My kids were younger than yours. It was very nice walking amoung the trees and seeing things that weren't right adjacent to the road.

We also did hte Vernal Falls hike. Get an early start as there is not much shade and to avoid the crowds.
Old Aug 2nd, 2012, 02:38 PM

With two nights at Curry you have a full day in the Valley. Yosemite Falls will be dry but Vernal and Navada Falls will be flowing. I suggest you go UP the Mist trail and continue as far as you feel like it, to the top of Nevada Falls if everyone is up for it. Then come down the Muir trail. Leave the Mist Trail for uphill traffic. MIT is very narrow and the steps can be slippery. Although not designated as one way, it should be!

Do the hike in the morning and use the afternoon for rafting ( if they are still doing that), biking, etc.

And if you do hike to the topmof Vernal Falls, make absolutely clear to the kids that they must NOT enter or even get close to the water. It looks inviting but it is deadly. Seriously.

Hiking down fron Glacier Point on the Panorama trailmis not to be taken lightly. It is a fairly difficult 8-mile hike even tho it is downhill. ( Mind you I have only done it going uphill, as I prefer that, bit downhill
csn be tough on the knees).

Save Glacier Point for one of the days you have at Tenaya Lodge as there is not much in the
immediate vicinity of TL; it is outside the park. With a car parked at Glacier Point you could hike partway on the Pan trail for views, or hike Sentinal Dome or other short hikes.

The other day at Tenaya Lodge you could visit the sequoia grove, then go find the swimming hole in the river Wawona. If I knew where it was I would say, but I don't. Hopefully others will guide you.

It will be hot and crowded in mid-August, so be patient, plan for breaks, carry snacks, etc.

If you don't mind the drive, consider heading up to Tuolumne Meadows on your Curry day instead of spending the day in the Valley. You can hike the Mist Trail the morning of your move to Tenaya Lodge. Tuolumne offers gorgeous views and some nice short and fun hikes. You can stop for a swim in beautiful Tenaya Lake on the way back to the valley.
Old Aug 2nd, 2012, 05:05 PM
Original Poster

All very useful ideas and I do appreciate you taking the time to respond!

Thank you!
Old Aug 2nd, 2012, 05:46 PM

Yes, it will probably be HOT in the valley. I think you and the kids will love rafting. You should know that you rent a raft (at Curry) and it floats about 1 mph down river. You can pull off at sandbars or beaches and play around and continue. At the take out point you load on busses to be taken back. Bring a camera in a double zip lock because its a different perspective on the river.
Old Aug 3rd, 2012, 04:23 AM

I agree with Suzie about not taking the tram at the Grove. I was glad to see that the tram only had a handful of people. The rest were walking.

You can walk as far as you want and then return. While those giant trees are impressive, for some reason I expected there to be many more.

Once we passed several of the named trees got to and spent time at the Tunnel Tree, we felt we had seen enough. However, you can keep walking to see some of the other sights. We did see some deer there.

And more slamming. There an included (free) shuttle from the parking lot to the Grove. There's at least three busses. We were there on a Sunday (crowded) and two of the busses were just sitting there. The driver told me they needed repairs.

That meant there was one bus about every hour. When we went not everybody was able to get onto the bus. So some people waited over an hour and a half. Unacceptable.

I'm sure if it was a paid shuttle (such as to Glacier Point) those busses would have been either fixed or replaced immediately.
Old Aug 3rd, 2012, 11:12 AM

Can't speak for your 12 year old, but my daughter(now 18 and with severe scoliosis-she has rods in her back)at age 12 would have thought that the PT was great and easy. I don't think of it as a difficult trail.

Personally, I don't think I would do it or the Mist Trail if there was no water there.

Now for my feelings-I plan on going back to Yosemite in the near future. Having been to many of our National Parks, it might very well be my favorite-Certainly in my Top 5.
Old Aug 3rd, 2012, 03:16 PM

Love Yo at any time of year. And if it's hot - enjoy the pool at Curry Village which has a view of Glacier Point. Yes, there will be kids there - but so what.

As for driving to Tuoloumne Meadows - it's beautiful but I would go early - to not get caught behind the traffic/slow moving vehicles. You could have lunch there - or at one of the scenic spots on the way back - and you could return by early afternoon - and still ride the buses around the valley floor, go on a hike or saunter down the path by Big and Little Yo falls, watch the rock climbers out at El Capitan (good idea to bring some binos) - whatever.

It's also fun to rent bikes and ride around.
Old Aug 5th, 2012, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all!!!
Old Aug 6th, 2012, 10:27 AM

I'm a big fan of the Panorama Trail myself. In browsing through Myer's beautiful photos you get a pretty good shot of what the trail entails. Go to photo 39/47 and you are basically looking down at the trail. It goes down from Glacier Point and traverses the slope below where this picture is taken then along the ridge you see to the right (not on the very edge). Continues to Nevada Falls (furthest one)then down to Vernal Falls below then to the valley. Ends close to Curry Village.

Myers Link:
http://www.travelwalks.com/Display_Photos.aspx