Yosemite or ? - in mid-April

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 2006, 12:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have our coveted reservations for Yosemite North Pines from April 17 - 22. We're taking the teens (17 & 14 yo girls) and the dogs (1 mutt, 1 Lab) but I'm getting concerned about the weather. We were there last year at the same time but w/o the dogs and the weather was fine. Chilly, and one day of snow, but quite pleasant overall.

In a nutshell, I am seeking some advice on the following -
1. Should I even consider taking the dogs if it is raining? I think not, but maybe it's not as bad as I imagine it to be.
2. Can you take an RV into the park w/o chains if they are required for cars?
3. Does anyone have an alternative location to go camping that would involve about the same length of drive - about 8 hours from San Diego? I would assume somewhere in Arizona, but we've always headed north vs. east, so I'm not too familiar with camping options in that direction. I was thinking about the Sedona area, but haven't seen any pet-friendy options. We prefer to go hiking and biking so outdoor options are appreciated.
Old Apr 6th, 2006, 01:13 PM

I just checked the weather forecast for the valley and it shows rain or showers nearly every day from now until the 14th. That is only a few days before your trip, so it is likely to be pretty soggy still, even if the rain stops on the 14th. You probably wont have snow to deal with - not after all this rain. And you will be in an RV rather than a tent, so that is a bonus. I don't know that I would want to be in an RV with a couple muddy dogs though.

What about Anza-Borego (I think that is the spelling)? I have heard they have terrific wildflowers this time of year - have not been though so I can't give a personal recommendation.
Old Apr 6th, 2006, 02:55 PM

We always took our dog camping, rain, snow, sun, what ever in our motorhome and trailer. Just bring a lot of old towels to dry them off.

Have you ever been to Zion National Park? Lots of hiking there. The Watchman campground in the park has electrical hook ups and you can make reservations.

Joshua Trees National Park is near by
you. I also read that the wild flowers in Death Valley weren't as good as last year, but one poster on another board said that they had LOTS of rain while they were there and so in 20 days there should be lots of wild flowers. Your time frame should be right on. http://www.roadtripamerica.com/forum...ad.php?t=10226

Utahtea

Old Apr 6th, 2006, 08:51 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback, J_C and UT. I hadn't even considered the soggy part of the equation. I guess we'll keep investigating our other choices. I should have stated that, unfortunately, my spouse doesn't have an appreciation of the desert (or my dogs if the truth be told), so Joshua Tree and Anza Borrego will have to be seen via the rearview mirror. I dragged him to Sedona and the Grand Canyon 10 years ago, and it turned out that he liked it enough to consider a return trip. His requirements are simple - pine trees. Anything without them is unthinkable. I have learned to adjust. So has he, but he still resists the desert southwest.
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 09:22 AM

My mom has the same requirements - trees!

When I was a kid we moved to the Ventura area and I remember my mom saying "I don't like this place, there aren't any trees on the mountains"

I am wondering how the weather at Sequoia and Kings Canyon compares to Yosemite this time of year. They are further south, so less rain and snow? I am not sure.