Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What are conditions like Kings Canyon or Yosemite this year?

Mar 29th, 2007, 03:36 PM
Original Poster

I'm arriving at SFO at noon on Saturday in just over a week, then have free time until Tuesday evening in SF. I've been to SF and California numerous times and want to get a nature fix.

Last time I did one of these was a year of lots of snow and I think I visited a little earlier. I waited until I arrived to check weather, then called to find accommodations. I went up to Yosemite for one or two nights in a Curry Village cabin (hiked a couple trails, sat out and looked at the stars). I had been to Yosemite a couple of times before. Then I drove down to Kings Canyon/Sequoia. The road through the park was closed, so I went in one entrance, walked on snow packed 4-6' deep, taking photos but couldn't find a place to stay so had to go back to Fresno for the night, then on to my meeting.

I've also been as far north as Eureka, walking in the redwoods.

This time I didn't want to get caught without a room, so I've been checking. I can get a room in the Muir Lodge in Kings Canyon for Sat/Sun/Mon nights if I want. I can get Wawona Hotel or Curry Cabin for Sun/Mon. I haven't checked for north.

I'm tempted to go to Kings/Sequoia just because I've only been there the one time and I can get a room. However, I think 3 nights might be too long for me to hang out by myself if the snow is deep and hiking slushy. Anyone been up to Kings Canyon lately and know what's up?

I would entertain other suggestions. Am willing to split with 2 nights one place and 1 in the other.
Mar 30th, 2007, 11:53 AM
Original Poster

I've also found space at Wusachi in Sequoia. However, Muir in Kings Canyon seems to make more sense if coming in from north.
Mar 30th, 2007, 12:40 PM

I don't think this has been a particularly snowy year - at least all my friends who ski have been complaining about it - LOL.

I can't give any first hand info for the sierras, but I was wondering if you have been to Big Sur? That would give you a nature fix and the weather has been terrific on the coast.
Mar 30th, 2007, 06:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks,
Yes, I have been to Big Sur a couple of times. A beautiful place.

In fact, last time I had one of these meetings the folks on this board helped me plan a trip down the coast, including the evening tour at Hearst Castle and some walks in the parks.

It was great, but I prefer mountains to water.
Apr 16th, 2007, 05:04 PM
Original Poster

FYI--

I was able to find on nps.gov website that snow levels were at 8,000 ft and eventually able to find that most of the hiking trails open in Sequoia/Kings Canyon are well below that.

Various rooms opened up in Yosemite at the one week cancellation deadline. The clerks there told me that many people make multiple reservations a year in advance, then wait to cancel a week before. Also, early checkouts are not penalized, so a couple of rooms usually open up that way, but they accommodate those wanting to extend stay first. So, I booked a cabin w/o bath for Saturday and a cabin w/bath for Sunday in Curry Village. They transfered my bag for me while I was out.

Valley was busy because of the nice weather with full busloads of tourists. Early rising got me ahead of the crowds and only Yosemite Falls was a human zoo. I think Yosemite is dramatic and I enjoy the views, but I don't find the hiking in/around the valley and waterfalls very interesting.

I rose early on Monday and drove the 3 hrs to Kings Canyon. Patchy snow on trails, but lovely weather. This park is a real gem. I spent hours in the Giant Forest area and could easily have spent the entire day there. Early next morning I walked up Panorama Point and over past General Grant. Crowds around the named trees near the parking lots, but only saw people every 15 minutes or so once on a trail in Giant Forest and no one on Panorama/Ridge/Manzanita or the Loop past Grant.

It was a long drive to SFO on Tuesday, longer than the online maps suggested. But it was worth it. There was so much to the park I didn't see before with the deep snow.

Next time I'd like to go when the Canyon is open.