Search

Yosemite NP

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31st, 2010, 05:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yosemite NP

We are flying into San Jose on saturday May 28th 2011 and do not plan on entering Yosemite NP until monday. (have reservations in Yosemite mon-thurs) Any suggestions where to go, what to see, and where to stay Sat-Mon?
We are coming from Massachusetts and have been thinking about Pfeiffer Big Sur Lodge and the coastal area. Is this reasonable? We are 60y.o. and are sight seeing! Excited too! thank you for any help.
Old Dec 31st, 2010, 07:43 PM

Have you been to San Francisco? That would be my first choice for those two nights. Lots of sightseeing to be done there. Big Sur is beautiful though and the plan sounds reasonable. Be sure to include time in Carmel and Monterey as well. What time does your flight arrive in San Jose?

The drive to Yosemite from Big Sur will take you over 5 hours. It is about 4 hours from San Francisco.
Old Jan 1st, 2011, 06:54 AM
Original Poster

Our flight arrives SJ around 230pm. We do not plan to visit SF this visit. We will not mind the drive Big Sur to Yosemite! Any suggestions for lodging...Big Sur Lodge? or other suggestion? Thank you
Old Jan 1st, 2011, 07:05 AM

The only place we stay at in Big Sur is the Post Ranch Inn so I can't personally recommend any other place. If your budget allows it is beyond words.

For a nice, casual and delicious dinner, the Big Sur Bakery is excellent.

On your way south or back north again on your way to Yosemite, if there is time, please don't bypass Point Lobos Reserve south of Carmel. It is a unique place and will give you that coastal fix you are looking for.
Old Jan 1st, 2011, 10:39 AM

Here's a link to a day trip we took last year in the area:

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...t-part-way.cfm
Old Jan 1st, 2011, 11:21 AM

Don't forget just south of Yosemite Sequia national Forest - the big trees are not to be missed. On the north side of the Park is Lake Tahoe .... I'd check out these other great sights and save the coast for another trip
Old Jan 1st, 2011, 12:08 PM

I always recommend the lodge at Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park - at least for the meals! (I have to admit, we rolled out our tent and sleeping bags so I can't speak personally about the lodging part of the lodge, LOL.)

For our trip a few years ago, we went north from SF to Sonoma County, then out to Yosemite and reached Big Sur after driving out the southern end of the park and through the Sequoia forest, passing Fresno. Point Lobos is indeed worth the stop! Sea otters and seals and pelicans.

We enjoyed Sonoma and the drive from there to Yosemite was very scenic. The drive across the Central Valley was much more straightforward, though (also being from the Northeast) seeing all the farmland where so much of our produce comes from was interesting too.
Old Jan 1st, 2011, 01:06 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
If you want to get into the park in the morning instead of after a long day, you could stay 1 night at the "BUG" HI hostel just outside Midpines, CA. My wife and I like this place better than anything in Portal.
Old Jan 1st, 2011, 05:33 PM

You are arriving during the Memorial Day weekend. I think that a detour to the coast is a fine idea, but wherever you go that is has a tourist attraction, you will need a reservation. This is particularly true from Monterey down the Big Sur coast.
Old Jan 1st, 2011, 06:21 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Most every place (or at least any nice ones) along the coast will require either a 2 or 3 night minimum that weekend and you will want to book very early.

And traffic on the coast will be heavy. Big Sur is magnificent of course, but it, Carmel, etc will be pretty much booked up.

Another option you might want to consider if the ocean isn't a 'must' - is to head east into the Gold Rush foothills. There are gold mines, lots of wineries (especially in Amador County), Columbia State Park, small villages w/ good pubs and restaurants and lots of shops/antiques. Then have a short drive south into Yosemite.

If my feet were held to the fire I'd probably choose Carmel/Big Sur. But I really hate driving hwy 1 on holiday weekends. Too many people on the road who don't know how to drive twisty/turny essentially mountain roads w/ massive drop offs to the ocean. They lead HUGE lines of cars as they creep along
Old Jan 2nd, 2011, 06:43 AM

<They lead HUGE lines of cars as they creep along.>

Sort of like being behind one of those RV motorhome rentals we were behind this past summer on the Tioga Road through Yosemite. 20 mph with a line of 20 or 30 cars behind. "Take a deep breath dear and relax". UGHHH.

You know the coast north above SF would be a little less crowded that weekend. You might want to think about heading up that way instead. The scenery is drop dead along the Marin and Sonoma Coast. You could make it as far as Mendocino I suppse, but that might be a stretch for two nights and that would be a hell of a drive from there to Yosmeite. Maybe go as far Dillon Beach, Bodega Bay or Jenner. Just a thought...
Old Feb 22nd, 2011, 03:06 AM
Original Poster

We have an early flight out of San Jose on a saturday morning...any suggestions for a hotel near the airport? We will be returning rental car same a.m. Thank you
Old Feb 22nd, 2011, 01:15 PM

The Doubletree is very close to the SJ airport and is nice. There are a lot of motels and mid-range hotels on 1st street across from the airport that are convinient too.

Additionally, downtown SJ is only a few miles from the airport, so you can stay in any one of the hotels there and easily get to the airport in the morning. I live several miles south of downtown, and early morning trips to the airport take me 15 minutes max.

The Hotel De Anza and Hotel St. Claire are great options. The Crowne Plaza is nice too, and there is a Marriott that is only a few years old that I have heard nice things about.
Old Feb 26th, 2011, 01:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, looking forward to visit!