San Fran help with Yosemite/Monterey

Jul 16th, 2002, 07:24 AM
Jane

San Fran help with Yosemite/Monterey

I would like to spend 2 nights in San Fran, at least 1 night in Monterey and 1 night at Yosemite. If I am flying in and out of San Fran, what's the best way to arrange my trip? How was far is Yosemite from Monterey? How far is Yosemite from Napa or Sonoma? Any suggestions for places to stay in Monterey or Yosemite for Sept?

Jul 16th, 2002, 02:57 PM
Leslie

Jane - I don't think your plan is realistic. The drive from SF to Yosemite is probably about 5-6 hours. You'd just get there in time to eat dinner and sleep - not really see anything. Then, a similar or longer drive to Monterey.

From Napa/Sonoma it would be even longer as these are north of SF by a couple of hours.

If you really have only 4 nights, I'd say 2 in SF and 2 in Monterey or Carmel. Even this is a stretch.

As far as distance Yosemite is the biggest problem for you to reach from SF.

Hope you can extend your stay to add a couple of nights at least.

Jul 16th, 2002, 03:04 PM
Susan

I agree with Leslie. You will spend all your time in the car and not see much of either Yosemite or Monterey. You could choose one and spend two nights there. Two nights in SF is not enough, unless you've been before or are coming back again. Two nights in Monterey is probably enough. Two nights in Yosemite is pushing it, but at least you'd have one full day there.

So, with four days total you need to choose either Yosemite, Monterey or the wine country. Good luck!

Jul 16th, 2002, 03:30 PM
Jane

Ok, I see your point. Thanks. I think I will extend my trip a little, so as to fit in 2 nights each in San Fran, Monterey and Yosemite. I agree that more time spent at each place would be better, but I don't know when I'll ever be able to return and am very eager to see all 3 places. Any suggestions then on where to head to first and what the logical sequence should be, given the driving? Also, any suggestions on where to stay at both Yosemite and Monterey? Thanks in advance!

Jul 16th, 2002, 04:19 PM
kam

I would drive SFO to the city, then to Yosemite, then over to Monerey and back up to SFO. Most of the places in the valley of Yosemite (in the actual park )are probably booked but you might get lucky. www.yosemitepark.com handles all available accomodation in the park. Otherwise try Cedar Lodge or Yosemite View Lodge in El Porta, the closest gate into the park. Try to plan your time in Yosemite and Monterey on weekdays and spend the weekend in SF. Loads of suggestions for places to stay here on Monterey/Carmel/Pacific Grove. Do a search.