yosemite, big sur,san fran, what to do?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31st, 2004, 05:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How long does it take to get from san fran to big sur or to yosemite. is it better to stay in big sur over monterey? should i definately get to yosemite? i'm having trouble deciding between san fran, napa, monterey & big sur, and yosemite with only 7 nights!
Old Mar 31st, 2004, 06:16 PM

Well, I can tell you what our trip in May is going to be like... WE are flying into San Fran and spending the weekend there and then heading out to Yosemite ( 3 hour drive) fro 3 nights and then driving down to Carmel/Monterey from there and spending 2 nights. Will plan to do the aquarium, and drive down To Big Sur and stop along the way at Point Lobos and Julia Pfeiffer Burns. THis trip we decided to skip Napa and maybe do that next time we head out that way. WE live in an area where there are several wineries anyway. It depends on what you really want to do and see. There is jsut so much to see in that area!
Old Mar 31st, 2004, 06:37 PM
Abi

With only 7 nights I would not recommend going to all the places on your list. I would do Yosemite (2 nights), Monterey (3 nights) and Napa (2 nights) and save Sf for another trip. Yosemite, Monterey, Big Sur, and Napa are the must sees IMHO. I have lived in SF for many years, but I never get bored with the beautiful scenery of the Monterey Bay Area, Wine Country, and Yosemite. SF to Yosemite is closer to 4 hours minimum and sometimes closer to 4.5, depending on the traffic. You could fly into San Jose, which is closer to Monterey and Yosemite than SF and you may be able to get cheaper fares into SJC rather than SFO. You could start in Napa then do a loop back to Yosemite, Big Sur, and Monterey, then back to San Jose.
Old Mar 31st, 2004, 06:52 PM

SF to Yosemite is at least a 4 hour drive. It's hard to tell you what you will like best, but Yosemite in the spring is the best time to be there. The waterfalls are at their best!!!

Utahtea
Old Apr 1st, 2004, 06:00 AM

utahtea is correct: SF to Yosemite is a 4 hour drive, more in peak traffic hours.

The fastest way to get from Yosemite to Monterey is via Highway 140, then south on Highway 99, connect with Highway 152 almost all the way to the coast, then take Highway 156 to Highway 1. This is not freeway driving and will take you even more time.

mmbb: Yosemite is on the east side of California and San Francisco is on the west side. You are proposing to drive clear across the state just to visit one attraction: Yosemite.

I love Yosemite, but, with only 7 days, I'd strongly suggest considering staying around the Bay Area - 3 days for San Francisco, 2 for Monterey/Big Sur and 2 for Napa/Sonoma. You'll still be rushed, but, you'll have a lot to do and see a lot.

Given your time constraint there is no reason to fly into San Jose, unless you are getting a terrific deal on airfare.

Have a fine trip!
Old Apr 2nd, 2004, 03:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the great advise. I did kind of have my mind set on seeing san francisco. I'm now thinking I'll do Monterey or Carmel (2 nights), then Napa (2 nights), then San Francisco (3 nights). Is that too few nights in each place?
Old Apr 4th, 2004, 01:53 PM

mmbb, just to tip you off, two of the posts above are from the same person using two different names and posing as two different people.

He is very familiar to those of us who post often on Northern California. We've seen him pretend to be as many as eight different people on the same thread.

He does this because almost no one would agree with some of his advice otherwise, but he has this need to misrepresent to you that his views are the majority ones. His priority is an "axe to grind" against one of your proposed destinations, and to lead you to one which was not on your list, instead of helping you in your enjoyment of your trip.

I'm not going to identify him by the screen names he has used above or what advice he is offering you, since I think you will figure that out very easily. I think this is the best chance to keep this thread from deteriorating into an argument between him and other people, instead of helping you.

Unfortunately this deterioration often happens, as when he's identified, he usually starts throwing back the accusations that have been made of him, word for word, and people get outraged and argue back. Just remember, if he starts doing this, that I haven't said anything negative about any travel destination in this little warning.

I'm hoping he will not be dumb enough to identify himself to you as the person I'm talking about, but will just keep trying to fool you. I don't think he will, though. And I hope that now you've been alerted, no one will stoop to argue with him whatever he does.
Old Apr 4th, 2004, 10:21 PM

mmbb,
I think you can stick to your plan of 2 nights Monterey/ Carmel, 2 nights Napa and 3 nights SF and have a great trip. I hate to have you miss Yosemite, but it is always good to have an excuse to come back.
Old Apr 5th, 2004, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Kathryn and all else, do you think It will be too hectic? What are the main sites that I absoulutly should not miss at each locale?
Old Apr 5th, 2004, 04:34 PM

Yes, I would say that is not enough time for each of those places. If I were you I would skip SF this time around and spend more time along the central coast. San Jose is actually the most convenient airport to fly into since it is midway between Monterey and Napa. I would do 3 nights in Napa (or maybe 2 nights in Napa and one in Healdsburg), 3 nights in Monterey and 1 night south of Big Sur (either Morro Bay or Cambria)
Old Apr 5th, 2004, 04:47 PM

When are you planning to make this trip? I ask because Yosemite reservations go FAST. That alone may dictate whether or not you choose to include Yosemite in your itinerary.

I personally find Monterey to be a bit boring. The Aquarium is fabulous and not to be missed, but the rest of the Montery attractions can be seen in one afternoon or less. If you combine it with Carmel it would take about a day. 2 nights would be the maximum time I would spend there.

Whatever you choose good luck!
Old Apr 5th, 2004, 05:03 PM

I see now that you're planning on visiting in June. Unless you're planning on staying in one of the rustic first come first served Yosemite campgrounds in a tent, I don't see how you can add Yosemite to your itinerary.
Old Apr 5th, 2004, 08:36 PM
Original Poster

thanks. yeah- i've eliminated yosemite. i'll have to save that one for next time.