Two week itinerary via Yosemite

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2008, 05:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My partner and I are making our first visit to California at the end of September and fly into and out of San Francisco (6 nights there). Can you help us with an itinerary covering 11 days that takes in Yosemite, Sequoia and the coast please? We'd rather spend time getting to know a place and doing day hikes than driving and trying to cram too much in. Many thanks.
Old May 15th, 2008, 06:07 PM

I would look around Bass Lake and do day trips to Yosemite and Sequoia from there; along with several other close by places.
Old May 15th, 2008, 08:49 PM

End of September is a lovely time in Yosemite. I suggest you stay in the Valley if possible so you can wake up in the morning, walk outside and see all that beauty. And then plan your day hike.

Check the official website for availability at the various lodgings:

http://www.yosemitepark.com/Reservations.aspx

They range from the historic (and expensive) Ahwahnee down to tent cabins at Curry Village---choose your preference.

With 11 days, I would spend 4-5 nights in Yosemite, 1 or 2 at Sequoia, and the balance on the coast.

How much of the coast do you want to see? North or south of San Francisco? Or both?
Old May 16th, 2008, 02:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for that. At the moment we're thinking of San Francisco followed by Pacific Grove/Carmel 4nts, maybe Cambria 1nt, Sequoia 1nt, Yosemite 4nts and back to SFO. Not sure about Cambria as we're not set on visiting Hearst Castle. If we went from Carmel to Seq then Yosemite, we could use the extra night in Sonoma Valley on way back to SFO. How does that sound? Need to book accom soon.
Old May 16th, 2008, 05:36 AM
maj

Probaby won't be a popular suggestion, but thought I'd throw it in anyway. We spent two nights in Carmel and thought that was plenty to see and do what we wanted. Monterey, Pacific Grove and Carmel are so close, it is almost like one city. We spent a day walking around Carmel, visited Monterey and Pacific Grove and drove the 7 mile drive. The next we went down all the way to Julia Pfeiffer State Park stopping for a few hikes and lunch at Nepenthene.

Check the travel times, if you haven't already done so. It takes about 4 hours to Yosemite from San Francisco and about 3 hours from Yosemite to Sequoia. We didn't want to include Hearst Castle in our trip either but I'd definitely go down to the Big Sur area. Probably would recommend 2 nights in Sequoia (maybe drive through Kings Canyon on your way in or out).
Old May 16th, 2008, 11:59 AM

I agree with maj. The Carmel area is nice, but 4 nights there sounds like more than you need. On my last visit to the coast I spent one day in Monterey and another day in Pacific Grove and Carmel and that felt just right. I don't know how far down the coast you plan on traveling, but the drive down Highway 1 is absolutely gorgeous. I would also suggest no less than 2 days in Sequoia, especially if you plan on visiting Kings Canyon. For Yosemite, definitely plan at least 3 days there. A stop in Napa on your way back to San Francisco is not too far out of your way and would be a nice way to cap off the trip. Sounds like a great vacation. Enjoy your time in California!
Old May 16th, 2008, 06:37 PM

are you interested in hiking or any other outdoor? interested in the awanhee or wawona? if you are going to sequoyah you could skip the mariposa grove area in yosemite. there really is a tont to do at either of them. I am thinking that the waterfalls will probably not be very spectacular that time of year in yosemite. but different times of year offer different perspectives. falls colors might be coming on then. Wukasachi has pretty darn good for in seq.
Old May 19th, 2008, 04:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone, that's all very helpful. Looks like 2 nights in Pacific Grove / Carmel and then Cambria (2 nts) and we perhaps will visit Hearst Castle after all, Sequoia (2) and Yosemite (4). We want to hike and enjoy the natural beauty - hoping the fall colours will make up for smaller waterfalls!
Old May 19th, 2008, 06:17 AM
maj

Sounds good to me. That should give you some flexibility with the driving times between places so you won't feel rushed. Although there probably won't be much in the way of waterfalls, I think you will enjoy Yosemite -- there is something to be said of a few less people being there at that time of year.

That is usually one of the best times of the year to be in the San Francisco area (I am told -- and thought it was perfect when we went a couple of years ago). With 6 nights in San Francisco you can easily make a day trip to Wine Country while you are there.

You'll have a great trip -- be sure and let us know how it goes when you get back.