Yosemite Lodging

Old Jan 8th, 2012, 09:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yosemite Lodging

We're headed to Yosemite in early May. We've never been there, so we don't know anything about the "lay of the land". I see the lodging options in the park, but I'm wondering if there's something else nearby that's not $200+ a night? We're happy in something like a Hampton Inn or Courtyard by Marriott. My wife is in a wheelchair, so camping isn't an option. Thanks for suggestions!
Old Jan 8th, 2012, 10:13 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Yosemite is beautiful. aving sid that I'd have a hard time returning.

If you don't have inpark lodging you've got a long drive.

Yosemite lodge rooms aren't bad ut you'd have to make sure to have a lower level.

I was there with my daughter and granddaughter last June and we had a room facing the main lobby. Unfortunately, that meant our parking lot was reserved for tour buses from 8AM to 8PM and the rangers were ticketing.

This is the most commercial national park I've ever been to. There are ticket booth for something they're selling all over the place.

I also found that anything free (shuttle, etc) are subject to the busses not breaking down. However, if something is charged for, such as the bus to Glacier Point, they'll make sure busses are available.

Inpark lodging gets booked way in advance so call and see what's available.
Old Jan 8th, 2012, 11:20 AM

Read the accessibility guide and then CALL to see if there is anything available (I sort of doubt it, May is a peak season to visit).
http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/upload/access.pdf
Old Jan 8th, 2012, 11:28 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I disagree w/ Myer more than 100%

"Yosemite lodge rooms aren't bad ut you'd have to make sure to have a lower level."

I have no idea what that means. Most of the bldgs at Yosemite Lodge are two story and there is nothing bad about being upstairs. But of course they will put you in a handicap-accessible room (if you book ASAP)

"We're happy in something like a Hampton Inn or Courtyard by Marriott. "

You won't find anything like that w/i any reasonable drive of Yosemite Valley. It is in a remote/rural location - no cities or even really large towns w/i a 2+ hour drive. Staying outside the park in a reasonably OK-ish motel will mean 2-3 hours extra driving every day.

The only option that might make some sense for you is a rental house or condo in Yosemite West. Private homes quite close to the Valley (maybe a 30 minute drive)

Yosemite Lodge is 'worth' the $$$ because it is where it is-there isn't another option that would place you in the middle of things, in relatively comfortable rooms, w/o spending a fortune at the Ahwahnee.
Old Jan 8th, 2012, 11:37 AM

I stayed at http://www.stayyosemitecedarlodge.com/ Cedar Lodge in 2011. It was about 5 minutes drive outside the park, and the rooms were very good in my opinion.
But, they are on two floors, so be sure to ask for a ground floor room. On the same road, there was one more lodge about 2 miles towards the park owned by the same company - it charged a lot more $$$ for what looked like the same thing.
Old Jan 8th, 2012, 11:44 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Just remember 5 mins outside the park is not 5 mins from the Valley

(Every time I see 'Cedar Lodge' I cringe. Not to worry --it is perfectly OK place, but most northern Californians get chills just hearing the name. A REALLY tragic/gruesome history . . . )
Old Jan 8th, 2012, 11:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all. Looks like we're staying in the park. I'll get right on it.
Old Jan 8th, 2012, 12:02 PM

Everyone is different. My impression of Yosemite was that I will return time and time again. Having been to 30 of our National Parks, it is one of my very favorites.

If you wife is able to walk a bit, then really one of those tent cabins might be the way to go. It really isn't traditional camping-that is luxory camping. We stayed at a regular cabin in the Curry Village. Housekeeping Camp and Curry Village both have tent cabins. The biggest drawback is no private bathroom. Our cabin had a private bathroom. The tent cabins do require two steps up. I bet they probably even have handicap accessible to a few of those.

From what I remember you could take a wheel chair right up to Yosemite Falls, Bridal Veil Falls, and several places in Wawona where the Giant Sequoias are located. Even seeing Hetch Hetchy might be a good option. A lot of the valley could be seen from a wheel chair easily. Of course, go up to Glacier Point.

You really need to book 12-13 months in advance to get the exact type lodging that you want. So, if you don't go this year then go the next.
Old Jan 8th, 2012, 12:03 PM

I meant to convey that the tent camping in Yosemite is like luxory camping.
Old Jan 8th, 2012, 12:05 PM

Definately stay "in park" if you can.
We stayed one night at Wawona and 3 nights at Curry Village.
Wawonna is about a one hours drive to the valley area.
Old Jan 8th, 2012, 12:07 PM

http://www.greatwheelchairaccessible...m/Yosemite.php
Interesting website.

Mirror Lake would be a great option. Go early in the morning at first light for great reflections and solitude.
Old Jan 8th, 2012, 12:16 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLuwPeV9dqY
link to a youtube video with a few sights around Yosemite in a wheel chair--they attempted a few places that aren't exactly wheelchair accessible
Old Jan 8th, 2012, 12:19 PM

Sorry for the multiple posts
After reading more about the camping there, they even have accessible campgrounds with raised tent platforms, handicap accessible fire pits and grills.
Old Jan 8th, 2012, 12:25 PM

I always feel sorry for whoever actually owns or owned Cedar Lodge is my first thought.
Old Jan 8th, 2012, 12:37 PM

Re Cedar Lodge - my immediate thought is always the same as Janis', and even though I too feel sorry for the owners (that they have to live with the legacy of what happened there), I couldn't bring myself to stay there.
Old Jan 9th, 2012, 06:08 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
janisj,

true, there's nothing bad about being upstairs except that his wife is in a wheelchair.

That might restrict them somewhat.

Since you disagree with me more than 100% what else was there?
Old Jan 14th, 2012, 01:42 PM

Roundthebend: For your first time to Yosemite, I urge you to stay in the Valley, Yosemite Lodge would be my recommendation. YOu should get on the phone now for May. It is maybe the most incredible time. Falls usually are going full blast, and all the trees are green with new growth. Although this year, with our total drought, who know what the winter will bring.
Commuting back and forth to lodging outside the park is a waste and you will miss soooooo much of the Valley's magic at sun-up and sun-down.