Search

YOSEMITE LODGING

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 06:12 PM
don

YOSEMITE LODGING

Tenaya or Yosemite View Lodge? I know that Tenaya is supposed to be much nicer,but Yosemite View looks to be c;oser to the park and cheaper, and looks nice also. Any recommendations?

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 03:55 AM
Vicki

Don, I have no first-hand knowledge and would like that info for myself since I will be visiting Yosemite for the first time in Sept. I live in NJ and saw that there is a special on the local PBS station tomorrow night (Wed. July 31) at 8:00p.m about lodging in National Parks. Both the lodges you mentioned are featured on the program. I plan to watch and will be glad to give you their opinion in case you don't get to see it.

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 04:54 AM
Sheila

Don, I just returned last week from Yosemite. We stayed at Yosemite Lodge. the room was adequate.Actually a pretty good size. No A/C, but a ceiling fan in our room. Some of the rooms do not have the ceiling fan, so they are given a table fan. It was 95 degrees last week, but after a shower, and lying under the ceiling fan, we did cool off. During the night, we had to use the blanket, as the temps went to 60. Also, our room had a bath. We were told some do not.

We used the shuttle bus system in the park. It is a wonderful system. It is used by, it seems, most everyone. Day trippers park in the day lot, and use the bus to get around. We thought it was very efficient.

We took the organized tours, and they all start at Yosemite Lodge. If you stay anywhere else, you must get to the lodge, by bus, or car, or walk. We were happy that we choose the Lodge because of that aspect.

Oh,sorry, after typing this I see you are talking about Yosemite VIEW Lodge. It took about 1/2 hour for the bus to get from Yosemite View to the Park. They stop and make pickups and dropoffs, for guests at that hotel, and for Park Employees at their residences, and the Hostel, and RV campgrounds. The shuttle system is great.

It is a nice looking Motel, I think, there were 4 or 5 buildings with many units. Looks like they have A/C
Sheila

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 06:12 AM
Howard

We stayed at the Yosemite View Lodge and were quite satisfied. Though outside of the park, it's actually closer to Yosemite Valley than most of the lodgings inside the park. It's about a 10-to-12-mile drive to the valley.

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 08:17 AM
J Correa

We stayed at Tenaya last November. It was nice, but over priced IMO. The rooms were your basic hotel rooms and were comfortable and spacious, but nothing special. There was a small refridgerator in our room, but it was only large enough to hold a couple of soda cans. There are a couple restaurants on site. They were decent but overpriced and the lodge is about 30 minutes from the nearest town so dining options are very limited. The grounds are very well kept and there are 2 pools - 1 inside and the other outside. The outdoor pool has a nice deck all around with lounge chairs, umbrellas and tables. It was too cold for swimming outside and the indoor pool was filled with children so we didn't have the opportunity to swim. There is also a health club and several spa services such as massages and parafin wax hand treatments. The lodge is only a short drive from the entrance to Yosemite and about 45 minutes from Yosemite Valley.

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 05:19 PM
ginny

Yosemite View Lodge is very convenient as far as location goes, so if the price is a lot better(it usually is) I would opt for that.

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 05:51 PM
Margie

Just got back from CA vacation and spent 2 nights at the Tenaya Lodge. It took us a good hour/hour1/2 to get to the valley. The ride is an adventure in itself but becomes a chore the third time or so. If you can stay somewhere in the park, or closer to, I would opt for that. The Tenaya was a typical hotel, the pool area was especially but the valley is where you want to be. Good luck with your plans. Yosemite's awesome!

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 06:40 PM
Vicki

Update on that PBS special...no help. It focused only on the Ahwahnee in Yosemite and Old Faithful Inn in Yellowstone. I booked a room last night at Tenaya, but have second thoughts after reading the latest posts here! There were no rooms available at Yosemite Lodge, my first choice.

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 04:34 AM
John R.

Vicki - Keep checking back with Yosemite Lodge if you really want a room there. Usually the cancellations really start pouring in about a week before... I was able to get my choice of rooms in the Lodge for my recent visit in early July by just checking the booking website repeatedly starting about 10 days before we were set to go.

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 05:29 AM
Sheila

Vicki...Instead of using their website, try phoning them. Yosemite Concession Services Corporation....559-252-4848

While we were checking in, other people were inquiring about immediate room availability, and they were able to get a room. People do cancel, so you may get lucky. I still suggest a phone call.

Sheila

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 04:58 AM
Vicki

Thanks, John and Sheila. I will follow your advice.

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 12:49 PM
terri

We stayed at the Yosemite View Lodge in June of 1999. We loved it. Our building was new and the room was large with a jacuzzi tub, gas fireplace, microwave, fridge and balcony over the Merced river. What a view! The only downfall was the lack of restaurants in the area, but maybe they've added more by now.

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 09:39 AM
Vicki

John, I kept checking the website but never saw a room at Yosemite Lodge, so I followed Sheila's advice and called and, sure enough, got a room in the Lodge. Thanks.

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 12:20 PM
John R.

Glad to hear you got what you wanted Vicki. When you get there you will probably also be able to switch rooms if what you have reserved is not to your liking.

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 07:03 PM
Jen

I have reservations at Yosemite Lodge in September. I just noticed that check-in is not until 5PM. We will be arriving by noon. Does anyone have firsthand experience of them adhering to this check-in time or is it flexable?

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 08:18 PM
BillJ

I'm starting to sound boring, but I'll say it again. IMHO, you cannot enjoy the true splendor of Yosemite Nat'l Park by staying out of the Valley Floor. It's just not the same. If I could not stay in the floor I wouldn't go. But I'm fortunate to live nearby. I'm just letting you know how strongly I feel about it especially for first time visitors who may never see it again. Please, Please, Please, do yourself a big favor. Keep trying their reservation number. Do anything to stay at the Lodge, Curry, or Ahwanhee. It is WORTH IT!

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 08:41 PM
L

I did not like Tenaya Lodge due to rude off season staff

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 08:53 PM
Susan

Jen, we stayed at the Yosemite Lodge last September & I think we arrived just prior to 5 p.m. & were able to check in.
When you arrive go to the reservation desk & inquire when your room will be ready, most likely it will be before 5p.m., if not, park your car & take a walk, the scenery will keep you occupied easily!

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 05:15 AM
John R.

We arrived at about 12:30 and were able to get in to our room right away. If yours isn't ready they can probably just switch you to one that is.

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 05:28 AM
Howard

I'll have to strongly disagree with BillJ's comment, "If I could not stay in the floor I wouldn't go." If that were the case, the overwhelming number of visitors who now come to Yosemite would never have the opportunity to view its splendor. Ignore the comment. Believe me, you can enjoy Yosemite without staying in the valley!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -