Yosemite Lakes Resort Riverside Yurt ??

Jun 24th, 2004, 09:59 PM
Original Poster

Yosemite Lakes Resort Riverside Yurt ??

My husband and daughters, 10 & 12, are heading for Yosemite for 3 days early August. We thought we'd also stay 1-2 nights outside of Yosemite before going in to rest from the drive and break the trip up a bit. But we'd like some place fun, rustic, homey, scenic - a "mini" destination on our way to Yosemite. Our girls like a creek or river nearby to fish and play/climb around on, scenic with trees, rustic. It isn't so much the amenities but the immediate area has to be plenty of fun. Can anyone give a review on this place? Alternatively, is there any other really great place for a "special" short stay where we can have fun right on the property? Thank you. Candi
Jun 25th, 2004, 05:20 AM

Did you really need to start seven different threads for the same trip?
Jun 25th, 2004, 06:07 AM
Original Poster

I'm surprised you are asking (or that it really matters?) There is nothing in this forum about any of the destinations I am asking about. I'm new to Fodors, and when I was first asking my questions, I thought that my question would only come up if someone put in a related key word (i.e.Yosemite Lodging), which would then bring up my question about lodging there). I have since learned that they all come up in the same place. But again, to look at it more positively, could it hurt the forum to have comments on different California wilderness resorts? I would have loved it if you had actually given a response rather than a negative observation.
Jun 25th, 2004, 06:27 AM

keyspeakers,

I've only been to Yosemite once, for 5 days. I'm not sure I understand the point of staying outside of the park to "rest". I would spend as much time as possible inside the park. You can rest there, while enjoying it's beauty!
Jun 25th, 2004, 09:49 AM

I think a couple days outside Yosemite would be great - esspecially since it will get you up into the mountains and you will probably be able to avoid some of the hoards of people for a couple days that will be in Yosemite that time of year. Also, I think you would be hard pressed to find lodging in the park to extend your stay there.

We have friends who go to Bass Lake every year, which is south of Yosemite. I've never been their, but they love it. You might want to do some research into that.

I don't have any experience with the places you've mentioned, but I think it would be really cool to stay in a yurt.

By the way, I think it's perfectly fine to post multiple threads about the same trip if each thread is about a specific question or issue. Otherwise, individual questions can get lost in a big thread.

Oh - another thought - what about Sequoia and/or Kings Canyon National Parks? I don't remember where you will be coming from so this might be sort of out of the way, or maybe a very convinient side trip on the way to Yosemite.
Jun 25th, 2004, 11:36 AM

California "wilderness resorts"?? around Yosemite?? Don't think so. This is a MAJOR tourist attraction. Why don't you just go ahead and get into the valley for the things you want to do. You should already have reservations. Remember, Yosemite is one of the biggest tourist attractions in the NP system and is usually jammed with visitors. It also has a very large smog problem due to the farms, etc. in the San Joaquin Valley.

By the way, your response to Astrolabe was really uncalled for.

Curious
Jun 25th, 2004, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

My apology to astrolabe. I guess I "toiled" last last night to get everything in, thinking I was doing it right - Astrolabe, sorry I jumped back at you.
Candi
Jun 25th, 2004, 03:02 PM

Hey Candi: No problem. I was watching another thread and woke up to find it buried in the next 50. Being the lazy slob I am, I was teed that I had to work some to find it.

I don't know anything firshand about the resorts that you are enquiring about but I do know that the Eastern Sierra is a wonderful place to get away from it all. It is much less crowded than the parks on the west side and has better weather in the summer. Any of those places probably will be wonderful.

By the way, I've been going to Yosemite since before Astrolabe was launched and the air was much purer in Yosemite a few decades ago. I don't think you can blame the farms because there were more of them back then. It's all of the population that's moved into what used to be the nation's most productive agricultural area. People and cars cause polution not the peaches or grapes.

Have a great trip!

Al
Jun 26th, 2004, 11:17 AM

Astolabe,

It's not the peaches and grapes and cotton, soy beans, alfafa, melons. etc. that cause the valley smog, it's the farm machinery along with the cars and trucks. Smog is a very major problem in Yosemite, Sequoia NP and Kings Canyon NP.

Fresno is the 4th most poluted city in the United States. The I-99 corrider has, I believe, 7 of the most poluted areas in the United States.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/04/28/air...ion/index.html

Curious
Jun 26th, 2004, 04:09 PM

Friends in Fresno go to Bass Lake a lot. Their kids seem to like it. Do a google query for
"Bass Lake" near Fresno CA.
Good luck
Hang in there with us on Fodors--It is really a great site..
Jun 27th, 2004, 08:05 AM

The smog in the central valley is partially caused by the farm machinery, but the major cause is polution from the SF Bay Area. Due to the geography, the smog we create here with our cars, barbecues, fireplaces, lawn mowers, and everything else we use gets blown into the cental valley and stays there because there is nowhere else for it to go. Some of it gets into the Sierras, but most stays in the valley.

This has been an ongoing issue between the central valley and the bay area for quite awhile.