Yosemite vs Sequoia

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 02:04 PM
Marc

Yosemite vs Sequoia

I'll be taking my fifteen yr. old daughter to Cal. this summer. May fly in to LA and make a loop back around. Any suggestions?? Does anyone recommend Yosemite over Sequoia and why?? Don't know enough about the parks yet, to judge for myself. "Thanx"

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 02:41 PM
travellyn

Although I love both parks, if I had to choose just one, I'd choose Yosemite. It is one of the world's best national parks. It has several different types of scenery and choices of various activities, but even more importantly, I think it's one of those common cultural icons that Americans need to experience. Let her look at an Ansel Adams book before you go.

Sequoia is magnificent, but is more limited in terms of the experience.

If you're driving up from LA, couldn't you visit both parks, just spending a day or so in Sequoia?

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 02:43 PM
hobojo

I would go to both parks. Of course, you must go to Yosemite. But Sequoia is so close, why miss it? Sequoia is less crowded and much more relaxing than Yosemite-but Yosemite has the scenery that can not be matched. You can explore Sequoia in about a day, if you do not go into Kings Canyon & stay somewhere outside the park on your way out. I can recommend the Best Western in Three Rivers, CA.

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 03:26 PM
Polly

All my life I have wanted to go to Sequoia...all my life! A few years ago, we finally made the trip to the West coast with Sequoia as one of the premier destinations. As an afterthought, we threw in Yosemite. When I reflect on our trip, the things I remember most are in Yosemite.

Like someone said, consider doing both. We did the loop to and from LA; went to Yosemite on the way back; stayed overnight in Fresno; then drove to the high points in Sequoia the following day ending with one more overnight on the road before arriving in LA the subsequent day. See if it works for you to do both. If only one...Yosemite!!

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 09:42 PM
chris

I am a native and definitly recommend Yosemite. It is unbelievable beautiful. Make reservations at Yosemite Lodge if you can, best to stay inside the park and it is fairly reasonable. If you want to see the giant redwoods, go to Mariposa Grove in Yosemite. Sequoia is quite a drive from Yosemite although close as the crow flies. I wouldn't stretch yourself thin unless you have at least 5 days. Drive up to Tioga Pass in Yosemite and take a hike at 9000 feet. I guarantee your daughter will love Yosemite. So often when traveling one tries to cram in too much (I know I do- I did NY, Maine, NH, Vermont, Mass all in 10 days and it was way too much driving.) Chris