yosemite hotel/food questions....

Old Aug 25th, 2006, 10:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yosemite hotel/food questions....

we have 3 night reservation in may 2007 at yosemite lodge. $194/nt incl tax but not breakfast.(not cheap). it seems that it is better to stay inside the park, rather than to travel 45-60 min from el portal or fish camp. LOOKING FOR FEEDBACK ON THIS DECISION. also, once inside yosemite, where do you eat? is food a rip-off?
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 10:14 AM

I have stayed inside and outside the park, and staying inside is definitely a plus. Mornings and evenings in the valley are my favorite times, which you don't really get if you have to drive in and out each day. Plus, it is just more relaxing to get up and already BE where you want to go rather than having to get in the car each day.

For food, there are several options. In the lodge area, there is a cafeteria style place with a variety of food, a deli, sitdown restaurant, grocery, and probably more that I am not remembering right now. The Ahwanee has a restaurant, which is more pricey. Over at Curry Village there is pizza and things like that. While there isn't a large variety, I think it is fine. Food isn't dirt cheap, but I have never felt it was a ripoff.
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 10:38 AM

We went to Yosemite in July and stayed 3 nights in Wowona. We drove back and forth twice to the Yosemite Lodge area. The ride was nauseating for some. Our conclusion was that next time we would stay at the Lodge just for the convenience.
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 10:43 AM

I would definitely recommend staying inside the park. It is worth not having to drive to and from, and you'll get to enjoy the mornings and evenings so much more, as J Correa said.

There is also a very nice restaurant at Yosemite Lodge if you want a special night out, but not so fancy (or expensive) as the Ahwanee. I think it was called Mountain House.
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 10:57 AM

I had a lunch in the valley by Yosemite lodge in the food court, cafeteria-like place, and was surprised the food was better then expected.
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 02:21 PM

The food court thing at teh Lodge is pretty good for breakfast. They something for everyone really. They even make specialty coffee drinks.

Definitely stay at the Lodge you will not regret it. The Mountain Room is the fine dining restaurant at the lodge and you may have to eat there if you don't make it back to the food court place before it closes. I speak from experience. It's spendy all right, but it is rather good food.

You can also eat in Curry Village so check that out when you get there but before you are hungry!
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 03:02 PM

Like everyone else has said, staying at the lodge is best. We brought snacks, like chips, granola bars, fruit, boxed drinks etc. and kept them in our room. Don't leave food in your car! The BEST meal I've ever had anywhere was at the Ahwahnee Lodge which is around 10-15 minutes from Yosemite lodge. Expensive, but oh, so worth it.
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 07:11 PM

The Awahnee also has less expensive but yummy selections for lunch - and shorts & T-shirts are fine as there is no dress code there for lunch. You have to "dress" for dinner.
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 09:50 PM

We stayed at the Lodge in 2004. You don't get what you pay for in terms of a room, but you do get what you pay for in terms of location. Your decision is a good one.

Now, maybe I'm fussy, but I really didn't like the food in the food court. Everything was served lukewarm. We wound up eating at the Mountain Room a few times (pricey but SO much better), and ate breakfast at the Awahnee. Order breakfast off of the menu instead of getting the buffet. I thought that buffet was a bit expensive ($18??). We also like lunch at Degnan's Deli. They made huge sandwiches that easily fed two.
Old Aug 26th, 2006, 06:38 AM

If you really want to save money and are staying right in the valley, bring an ice chest and paper/plastic bowls/plates/spoons and have milk, cereal, bagels, cream cheese, fruit in your room for breakfast. We've done it before (even at Disneyworld) when our kids were little to be more budget concious. You can also visit the grocery store at Yosemite Village and get tomatoes, lettuce, bread and meat/cheese and return to your room for yummy sandwiches at lunch time just a shuttle bus ride from wherever you are and no waiting in line. Then you just have to spring for dinner.
Old Aug 26th, 2006, 07:28 AM
cd

As others have said, you will love staying in the Lodge and eating dinner at the Mountain Lodge restaurant. We made reservations when we checked in and was glad we did as it fills up and we wanted a window seat. You will be able to eat and see Yosemite Falls and in May it should be a full Falls. There is a little store that sells sandwiches, wine, cheese and we bought there for lunch. We usually buy peanut butter and bread and fruit to keep in our room. I like the idea of going to the Ahwanee for either a breakfast or a lunch because the view is awesome.
Old Aug 26th, 2006, 02:23 PM
Original Poster

great feedback! thank you, all......
Old Aug 27th, 2006, 09:35 PM

We have been to Yosemite several times. We bring: one loaf of bread, peanut butter, jelly, bagels, chips, snacks, wine. We pack our lunch everyday, purchase our coffee and eat our bagel (we even toast it in the cafeteria) and buy our dinner. The food is amazingly good!
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 07:05 AM

We stayed at the Yosemite Lodge last week and I concur--you have made the right decision. Our children had some issues with all of the winding roads into and through the park (highly recommend the Less Drowsy Dramamine!) so it's best to be in the Valley.

We were pleasantly surprised with the food in the park. Definitely better than that in Grand Canyon or Bryce when we were there two years ago. Food Court at the Lodge was great for breakfast--we ate early at 7 a.m. and had no lines (except for free coffee). Daughter liked the "bear" pancakes and the rest of us had bagels, oatmeal, cold cereal. Think we spent about $20 to $25 for the four of us.

Dinner at the Mountain Room was quite good with decent service. A bit noisy so I wouldn't call it an upscale restaurant. But MUCH less expensive than Ahwahnee. You now cannot make reservations for parties of less than 8. I just went over 20 minutes before we wanted to eat and got one of those pagers. Walked right in at 7 p.m.

I highly recommend the Ahwahnee for dinner if you don't mind paying for it. Thankfully our two children could still eat off the kids menu so our dinners for four (including a bottle of wine) ran between $150 and $175. The room is gorgeous, they seated us at the Queen's table for the first night with an awesome view, and the service was very good. Men don't need to wear a jacket anymore but shorts and jeans are a no no and we saw them turn people away. My daughter and I wore nice jean skirts and that was fine. Some people (including newlyweds) were quite dressed. We were very pleasantly surprised and went twice on our trip.

Have a great time!!!
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 11:19 AM

well I plan to go to yosemite in late sept and stay in the tent cabins. they are $39 during the week adn $74 on weekends. I have done this once before and it was fine, altho it is a walk to the john..