Good location? 101 st. - BB Lodges

Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 07:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good location? 101 st. - BB Lodges

Do you think Lexington Avenue between 101 & 102 street is a safe location, not bad for a base to do tourism / sightseeing ?

Has anyone heard about BB Lodges (Bubba & Bean Lodges)? http://www.bblodges.com

I will be travelling Nov 1st to nov 7th with my husband and some friends to NY, and we are looking for a not expensive basic hotel or B&B that is clean and does not have rats, mouse or roaches. It would be great if itīs nice.

Thanks for your help!
Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 10:57 PM

That area of town is being cleaned up and there is quite a bit of new building going on, but I would NOT suggest you staying in that area of the city, it technically is Harlem, above 96th St and yes it is better, but you would have to walk uphill to 96th St and it is not the best area especially at night.

There's a new B&B on 147th St, ok it happens to be my block, but it is quite nice, there's a very cute cafe on the corner of 147th and St. Nicholas and the A train is there to take you to midtown in 20 minutes. I can get the name of the B&B if you would like and I think I heard the price is under $100 a night.

I live here and I would not stay on 102nd St., just not a great area just yet.
Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 02:59 AM

NOT a good idea. Not a good location for tourism and sightseeing and while I'm sure the place wantsomesun mentions is nice, that location puts you even further from the typical area for sightseeing. Do you realize you're coming at high time for the NYC Marathon which is on Nov 5? You'll be hard pressed to find an affordable room at this late date.

Without a specific budget per night and number of people (and how many rooms you want) it's hard to make other suggestions. Here's a b & b in Soho (downtown) that, while not fancy, is affordable and fun. Prices include breakfast. Maybe they have space.
http://www.sohobevy.com/

Perhaps renting an apartment is possible. Here are a few websites with vacation rentals.
nyhabitat.com
cyberrentals.com

There's a b & b at 93 st. & Madison, NOT fancy and, from what I hear, not nearly as nice as the website, but
staythenight.com

Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 03:40 AM

Hello, I highly recommend this place. My husband and 2 kids stayed there and loved it. We arrived at night, and of course was a little worried, but the innkeepers said it is always dead at night, but safe and busy in the daytime - they where right. The area is very safe. There is no Hill at 96th street but at 103rd street, and believe me this is not an issue, actually quite fun to see a hill in Manhattan, almost a sightseeing item. The area is very nice you have central 2 blocks away from you and the museum mile. Remember the further up you go the more difficult a time you have to get to central manhattan. So this location is great for the price they offer. Most people who think spanish harlem thimk about 101 street. However, this is classified as Carnigie Hill. Harlem actully begins at 106 street. Believe me New York is not as bad as people think, some areas yes are bad, but this is not one of them. I do not recommend anything pass 125th street on the east or west though - some areas get very rough and are difficult in terms of travel. Visit http://www.askanewyorker.com/phorum/read.php?34,53124 they have more accurate blogs about bb lodges and it is where I found that the area was okay. Hope I was of help leonard
Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 05:10 AM
Gia

There's also a really nice European B&B on my block. My sister and brother-in-law stayed there last November and enjoyed it. http://www.414hotel.com/
Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 05:12 AM
Gia

I should have mentioned that the B&B I recommended is much more centrally located for visiting NYC. It's on 46th & 9th Ave. Great location. 9th Avenue is hopping with tons of new restaurants and bars. 46th Street on that side of 9th Ave is usually quiet at night. And you're within walking distance to all sights in Midtown, Times Square, Rockefellar Center, etc. Have fun!
Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 07:45 AM

Please note that while Leonard80 may in fact have stayed there, this is the first and only post he/she has made on Fodors.
Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 08:31 AM

Granted this is my first post on this site - but if you search me on www.tripadvisor.com, www.zoomandgo.com, backpackers blogs you will find many of my comments on may things. From resturants to places to stay. I am an avid business traveler and putting together a travel guide. I travel to the US and Austrailia and supply travel information to the book "US by rail and train," so I am very familiar with travel and accommodations as it is part of my job. So be as skepitical as you want, it is up to the guest to decide.
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 11:20 AM
Original Poster

thank you very much for your suggestions. we finally decided to reserve on the St. James Hotel (is around the 52th street)..... Nice B&Bs are already booked. .... And yes, I know is not the best time to travel to NY, but we are running the NYC marathon.
Thanks again.