Looking for a NYC hotel

Old Jun 12th, 2007, 06:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for a NYC hotel

I am going to a Yankees game and the next day heading up to the Cloisters. Does anyone have a suggestion for a hotel between Yankee Stadium and Fort Tryon Park? My hubby doesn't want to go back to Midtown, and we don't know of anything anywhere else...

Thanks!
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 06:58 PM

I cannot imagine a place I'd like to stay overnight in a hotel less than the Bronx.

I might suggest finding a hotel on the Upper West Side. You can take the B train after the game and the A train to near the Cloisters.

I was curious to see if there were any hotels near the Stadium. Apparently, there is a new Howard Johnson's "nearby" to the Stadium. Nearby is 1 mile away. I don't think walking through that part of the Bronx after a game is for the faint of heart.

Here's the reality of some of these hotels. NYC Family Services uses them for emergency shelter for families and individuals in distress.

Bite the bullet, head back to Manhattan. Find something on the Upper West Side a block or two from Central Park West where the A train runs.
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 07:43 PM

Actually there is a lovely B&B on W 147th st, (on my block) that has gotten quite nice reviews and I will have to come up with the name for you.

From here you can walk to the stadium, up St. Nicholas Place and across the bridge over the Harlem River. Makes for commuting to the stadium VERY easy, no big crowds to deal with after the game, and subways etc.

Also it's easy to get to the Cloister from here, take the A train to 190th St. There is also a very good local restaurant around the corner called Baton Rouge and a cute coffe shop right on the corner that I LOVE. I will get the details of the B&B and repost for you.
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 03:11 AM

While travelbuff finds info on that b & b, I found Sugar Hill Harlem b & b on west 141 st. http://www.sugarhillharleminn.com/ which gets decent reviews
http://www.tripadvisor.de/Hotel_Revi..._New_York.html

Elegant Retreats at 401 Manhattan Ave. is apparently on west 117 st. This website says it requires a 2 night minimum stay.
http://www.bedandbreakfast.com/new-y...tretreats.html

If you just want a good hotel on the upper west side, the Lucerne (79 st.), the Excelsior (81 st), or the cheap and cheerful Newton (95 st.) would all work.
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 07:20 AM

I wouldn't recommend the B%B on 141st, it's a little too close to well, not the best area and it's a little too far from the subway.

I'm going to stop by the B&B today on 147th ST and get more details and see a room or two if I can. I've been told that the rooms go for $100nt, but will get further details.
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 07:37 PM

I just got back from seeing the Guest House on W 147th St and it is very cute and quaint.

There are a total of 12 rooms in 2 building side by side and you can get private or shared bath.

Terry (the owner) took me upstairs (no elevator all walk up) to see 2 rooms and several baths and I have to say they are all very nicely done.

Each room has an overhead fan and in the very warm weather has an inroom AC.

The rate is $150nt. The website is under construction but the name is the Harlem Landmark Guest House on W 147th St, between St. Nicholas and Convent Aves.

If you are looking for something reasonable, close to transportation and yet away from the madding crowds of midtown this is a very nice spot.

Hope this helps and if you need any other info please let me know.

Also if you do decide to stay in this area, please let me know and stop by for a glass of wine.
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 07:45 PM

I forgot to add the phone number it is (212) 684-8800.

Old Jun 14th, 2007, 06:24 AM

ttt
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your help and advice! This is a big help in planning my trip. The B&B travel buff found sounds good, and so does the upper west side.

Thanks!
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 08:53 AM

Lived in NYC - actually, Fieldston/Riverdale - in the early/mid 60's and drove a school bus for RCDS during my Jr and Sr undergrad years.
Anyway, we have returned several times in the last couple of years and I now, once again, know my way around a bit.
So, we use the subway, check the best hotel values and distance be d...ed.
After W. Court in Feb and Park South in May, just booked Embassy Suites Hot at 102 N. End Ave - convenient to my family at 450.
Buen viaje.
M

Old Jun 15th, 2007, 07:43 PM

Let us know if you have any other questions or need any other ideas, and if you are in the neighborhood, please let me know and stop by.