Educational visit for Travel & Toursim students

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am hopefully bringing a group of 20 students studying travel and tourism to New York in Feb. 2004. Looking to stay for 3 nights at Hotel Beacon. Anyone stayed at this hotel?
Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 12:16 PM

out of the blue...Where are you from... When I was studying tourism one of my teacher was name Bernadette...

Celine
Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 12:16 PM

out of the blue...Where are you from? When I was studying tourism one of my teacher was names Bernadette...

Celine
Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 05:39 PM
Rob

Lots of posts regarding the Beacon - very few, if any, are negative. Location is very good. It is convenient to both buses and subway. Lots of restaurants of all types and price ranges in the immediate vicinity. Would be a good choice

Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 10:49 PM

Hotel Beacon is at Broadway and 74th st. While a fine hotel it is on the Upper West Side, a residential neighboorhood. NYC is a walking town and once you get above 59th street where Central Park begins it is difficult to travel East to West. Also, virtually all the sights you want to see are in Midtown or Downtown and by isolating yourself on the Upper West Side you are giving up much of the convience of staying in Mnahattan. Try to find a reasonable alternative in the 59th st to 42nd st area and you will be able to stop by your hotel to rest or freshen up before going back out at night!
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 07:02 AM
Rob

You will not be isolating your group by staying at the Beacon. If museum of Natural History and Lincoln Center are on your agenda you can walk to both - 10 minutes or less to both. The group could walk to the Metroplitan Museum - less than 20 minutes and it is a nice walk across Central Park. You are just over 1 1/2 miles from Times Square. Once on the subway it is a less than a 5 minute train ride from 72nd st. station to Times square station. It is not difficult to walk from east to west or vice versa through Central ParK - there are plenty of entrances providing access to the park. If you wanted to use public tranportation there are crosstown buses on 79th and 72nd Streets -the Beacon is on 75th. The fact that it is on the upper west side should not deter you. One other factor to consider. There are more moderately priced restaurants on the upper west side than in midtown. In fact, across the streety from the BEacon is the Fairway Market - great place to purchase munchies and other food items. Fairway is one of the more popular markets in Manhattan
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 07:42 AM

This traveler & former hotel worker thinks that if they are NOT staying in the most convenient location, then that is a good thing.

It will be good for them to have to use various forms of transportation to get around, to learn how to read maps & schedules, how to pay fares, etc.

Such experiences will give them greater empathy for their future customers & guests. Enjoy the trip. (PS- I would have lodged students at the HI/AYH Hostel at 103rd/Amsterdam)