135th-140th st area NYC

Jun 21st, 2007, 03:34 AM
Original Poster

135th-140th st area NYC

I'm hoping someone can help tell me something about this area as a option for a temporary short-term stay - closer to the river side of the city.

What's nearby regarding grocery stores, transportation options downtown, parks and general safety. Thanks.
Jun 21st, 2007, 04:22 AM

It is Harlem, if that is info you are looking for.
Jun 21st, 2007, 05:59 AM

Manhattan is an island bordered by rivers--the Hudson on the west side, the East River on the east side. You don't say which side you're talking about. You might want to have a look at the descriptions of various areas on nymetro.com/realestate
Jun 21st, 2007, 06:04 AM

I should have added, if you're talking about the west side, this is considered Hamilton Heights.
http://nymag.com/realestate/articles...washington.htm
Jun 21st, 2007, 07:52 AM

That's my neighborhood, and up to 1456th ST is Harlem, Hamilton Heights starts at 145th ST.

The area you are talking about is very close to City College and is an up and coming area, several new restaurants and there delis on each block. There are also several large grocery stores as well.

The 1 train is at 137th ST and Broadway and the A/C/B/D train is on St. Nicholas Ave at 135th.

I don't think I would recommend that area especially at night, and where are you staying I don't know of any hotels/guest houses in that area.

A little further north there is a guest house that I checked out recently that I would recommend and it would be a little better in terms of transportation and there is a large grocery store a block away.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Jun 21st, 2007, 09:49 AM

This is an area that;s gentfiying and I know several youg women that share an apartment in a rehabbed buidling near there. they've lived in New York for several years - and are still hesitant to go home single late at night (after 1 or so) - but it's one of the few areas that are still affordable.

I would not recommend it for someone without city smarts. This is essentially a residential area and not especially handy for any tourist sights.
Jun 21st, 2007, 04:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies.
travelbuff, the street is actually 139th I believe closer to the Hudson River. Will be temporary housing for one month of work. I'm concerned for her safety traveling and don't know the hours yet.
nytraveler, I know she has city smarts - but there's always room for concern.
Any more information you can give regarding 139th near Hudson River would be helpful.
Jun 21st, 2007, 05:21 PM

I would STRONGLY suggest she continue looking for another apartment. It is just too close to the large housing project on 137th and just not a great area.

The guest house just up the block from me, which is a much nicer area is charging 1,500 for a month stay, and it's close to the train, a nice coffe shop right on the corner, and large grocery store closeby as well.

139th is till too dicy an area for her to be alone especially at night.
Jun 21st, 2007, 05:38 PM
Original Poster

Oh travelbuff, you have sold me on having her not take the apartment... but what can I do? I passed along your information and I sincerely appreciate it especially since you live there. I know she can't do the 1,500/month however.
I passed along the websites from the earlier post as well.
Is it the entire length of 139th that is the problem? Or are parts of it ok?
Jun 21st, 2007, 07:45 PM

The block from Broadway to the River is just not great and the BIG problem is really the "housing project" which is just a block or so away. It is NOT a nice area for a single woman. I ofen walk and am always hesitant walking in that area, even during the day.

If she has trouble with $1,500 a month that is pretty inexpensive for an apartment here, so she may have a problem finding almost anything.

I would suggest looking at www.craigslist.com for other options in Manahattan.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Jun 21st, 2007, 07:59 PM

Less than $1,500 per month for temporary housing for work is ridiculous. Is she paying for this herself?
Jun 21st, 2007, 08:51 PM

Fairway-How long is her stay? If she can't pay $1500 a month, then she probably needs to look on craiglist to find a room to sublet. She might be able to find something for around $1200 a month but that also might be difficult. If she needs to pay less, she will probably have to go to Queens or Brooklyn.
Jun 22nd, 2007, 04:56 AM
Original Poster

You are all scaring me...
It is a room sublet in an apartment for one month and she did use the craigslist site.
travelbuff, when you walk - what streets are you using when you are concerned?
Jun 22nd, 2007, 07:55 AM

Sounds like she was already taken the rental. Is this right?
Jun 22nd, 2007, 08:05 AM

I actually live north of where she is looking to stay on 147th St and I have a friend who lives on 125th ST, so I often walk down Broadway to her apartment. Where she is looking to stay at 139th is not a great area. Yes it is up and coming but it is not there yet, and for a single woman is not a great area.

As I mentioned earlier 137th ST there is a huge "housing project" and unfortunately a less than desirable "element" in the area, so that area would be uncomfortable at night. If she is staying close to the river that area would be fairly deserted at night, so she is going to have to be very careful. The good news is that the subway is very close to that would be a plus.

If she hasn't already paid for the rental she should probably keep loooking either further south below 125th St or in Brooklyn or Queens.
Jun 22nd, 2007, 08:24 AM
Original Poster

I am sick that she decided to take this location... I would have continued to look further and encouraged her to do so.

She must have spoken to this person who is renting the apt. regarding the area but anyone can tell you anything on the internet. I have never been led astray with Fodorite knowledge - which is why I had to ask.

I will hold my breath for the entire month.
Jun 22nd, 2007, 08:33 AM

Fairway, I will give you this word of encouragement: if she felt like this apartment was appropriate enough that she took it, she must know something we don't! (Was she able to look at the place before putting $$ down?)

When I first moved to the city, my family would have been horrified by the goings-on on my block - but it was fine for the year I lived there. And I'm not the only one! I could give you many stories of young women who have done the same, from my aunt who first moved here in the early 70's through to present day.

A less than desirable element does not automatically equal danger for your loved ones. Of course she'll need to be aware of her environment and have some city smarts - but she'll be fine. Have faith!
Jun 22nd, 2007, 08:38 AM

P.S. If there is any way for her to change her location, I also highly suggest Brooklyn and Queens. For one, the subway options are better for getting anywhere else in town. And rents are reasonable in stable neighborhoods.

Depending on the timing, I have a girlfriend in my grad school program who is looking right now for roommate in Long Island City in Queens (one stop from Manhattan) and could be amenable to a short-term stay. Let me know!
Jun 22nd, 2007, 09:15 AM

Depending on where she's working, Queens would be a much better option.
Jun 22nd, 2007, 10:25 AM

Also, Jersey City, NJ is only a short PATH ride away

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO