Where to stay in Yosemite?

Old Jan 18th, 2004, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to stay in Yosemite?

Will be travelling from San Francisco and would like to stay IN Yosemite for a couple of days. Would like for it to be close to sites in the park. Price is not a big issue but would like to stay in 100 150 dollar range.
Old Jan 18th, 2004, 08:51 AM

go to NPS site and view options...
Old Jan 18th, 2004, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

I have gone to the website and am thinking the Yosemite Lodge may be the best bet. It is less expensive, but seems to have what we need and a great location. Has anyone stayed here?What did you think?
Old Jan 18th, 2004, 09:10 AM

I haven't stayed at the Yosemite Lodge, but I know people who have and they have been quite satisfied. From what I understand the rooms are basic motel-style rooms, not fancy, but clean and comfortable. The location is great - right in the heart of Yosemite Village. The valley shuttle goes by there every few minutes and you can ride that to most places in the valley. Also, you have a few different dining options right there.
Old Jan 18th, 2004, 09:37 AM

We were in Yosemite last summer, and stayed in Yosemite West for 3-4 days which is a private housing area about 1/2 way between the valley and Wawona. It was convenient, nice, etc., but I would have preferred to stay at Yosemite Lodge. Most activities originate in the valley, and you can always escape the crowds by going back to your room or taking a hike. Yosemite West was convenient when we visited Mariposa Grove, and ate dinner at Wawona Hotel and went to a program there. Make sure to go to Touloumme Meadows; it's worth the drive. We ate at the nice dining room at the lodge 1 night, and it was very good. We always ate breakfast at the lodge in a cafeteria - can't remember name - but the food was surprising good. Our lunch at the Ahwahnee wasn't too memorable; I was disappointed. Have a great trip!
Old Jan 18th, 2004, 09:39 AM
cd

We stayed at Yosemite Lodge last year. We LOVED the location as we could see Yosemite Falls from outside our room and you are on the Valley Floor. There is a restaurant next to the Lodge that if you ask a few hours ahead, you can have a window seat and view Yosemite Falls while you eat. There is also a cafe for breakfast and a store for souvenirs that also sells prepared sandwiches, soft drinks and wine if you want to pack a picnic lunch for hiking. The shuttle right outside your door will take you to other Valley locations. The granite and tree and waterfall scenery that you live in is awesome! The only place we drove to while we were there is the Maraposa Grove 45min away to hike thru the huge Redwoods and was a highlight for me. The Lodge is basic but very clean. The only thing I did not like is that there is no TV or music.There was a radio in the room but no reception because of the surrounding mountains. I would bring my own boom box and CD's next time. We curled up in bed at night with good books after a long day, but I would have given anything to have music to break the silence. We had dinner one night at the Ahwannee (sp?) and it was wonderful. (shuttle will take you there) The views from their dining room are terrific, if you go, go while there's daylight. Make reservations now and have fun!
Old Jan 18th, 2004, 10:41 AM

We have a cabin reserved in Curry Village for 2 nights in mid September. Is that a good choice? Do the shuttle buses provide service to this area? I think that was the only available lodging in my price range that was available for 2 weekend nights on the dates we will be there.
Thanks for any input anyone may have!
Old Jan 18th, 2004, 11:29 AM

I'm sure the shuttle buses run to Curry. We had pizza outside there one night and listened to a program about the old "Firefall". Look on the NPS site for info and maps. If you want to stay somewhere else and it's currently booked, keep calling since places do open up. I wish I had followed that advice.
Old Jan 18th, 2004, 12:09 PM

I stayed in Curry Village this past October and loved it!! Yes, it is on the shuttle route.

Curry Village is wonderful for people who are comfortable with a campground environment.

By the way, depending on what time of year you go you can get heated tents.
Old Jan 18th, 2004, 01:59 PM
CEW

Last July we stayed at the Ahwahnee Hotel in one of their cottages. We were so thrilled to be able to get a cottage until we were actually in it. That night was very hot and humid. No one had mentioned that there are NO air conditioners in the $400+ per night cottages! Plus, they are extremely rustic. We were forced to leave the windows open all night, hoping for some relief from the sweltering heat, but I couldn't sleep at all for fear of a BEAR breaking in.
Afterward we found out that the hotel rooms are air conditioned.
Old Jan 19th, 2004, 09:22 AM

mlm59 - the shuttle definitely services Curry Village. The tent cabins are fine. I prefer the tent cabins in the Housekeeping Camp because they have food prep areas, picnic tables, fire pits, and bear boxes right next to each cabin. The Curry Village tent cabins are basically just for sleeping and hanging out a little, but Curry Village has food service so you don't have to worry about bringing any kitchen/camping gear. Both places are nice, it's just a matter of preference.
Old Jan 19th, 2004, 04:32 PM

There are regular cabins at Curry Village, right? A couple of the posts refer to the tent cabins. I just looked at my reservation and it says Curry cabin with bath and 2 double beds. I'm assuming this isn't a tent cabin. Does anyone know if the cabins have heat? Not sure what the weather will be in mid September at Yosemite. We were in Yellowstone in mid September and stayed in a cabin that had a very small in-wall heater and almost froze to death.
Cd mentioned staying at the Yosemite Lodge. Would this be a better choice than Curry Village? They didn't have openings for the nights we will be there when I booked Curry, but as others have suggested I could keep trying if this would be a better place to stay.
Old Jan 19th, 2004, 04:40 PM

Hi mlm. I stayed in a curry cabin in Nov. Yes, they have heat. It, too, was a wall heater, but warmed the place just fine --EXCEPT for the bathroom.
Old Jan 19th, 2004, 05:48 PM

We stayed in Yosemite Lodge last June. The location was perfect. It's very basic for the price, but Curry Village is more of a camping experience.... Just depends on your preference... if you are a motel person .. stay in Yosemite Lodge, it's worth the extra cost.
Have a great time
Old Jan 19th, 2004, 06:00 PM

Hi Travelor. Respectfully, I disagree. While the Curry log cabins are sparsely furnished, I didn't feel at all as though I was camping. Our standard cabin had 2 beds, 1 desk, 1 chair, 1 nightstand, a picture, heat and a bathroom with (leaky)toilet, sink, shower, mirror and electricity. It is rustic and set among the woods, but again, no feeling of camping. There's a pavillion, for lack of a better word, with various dining options, depending on the season, and a common area lodge for guests to enjoy a firelace, board games, etc. Actually, its kind of a bargain.