Yosemite Lodging Advice

Search

Yosemite Lodging Advice

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yosemite Lodging Advice

We are going to Yosemite in early October. We will be staying in Lake Tahoe the week before and will go to Yosimete for 4 days. I have read a number of reviews on lodging for the area and am now totally confused as to where to stay. We are looking for a nice, clean place for under $200 that has some dining options on-site or nearby. I would appreciate any suggestions.
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 01:31 PM

Stay at the Yosemite Lodge. It's in the valley and is kept nice despite constant use. Dining on site an dnearby.
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 04:33 PM

I don't have first hand knowledge of the lodging...but I know about location, location, location and Yosemite Valley is the place to stay. Yosemite Lodge is in the valley and there are plenty of eating choices nearby.

Utahtea
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 05:24 PM

If you can't find lodging in the valley, also try Wawona lodge or rent a condo in Yosemite West. Make your own dinner and maybe splurge a night at the Awahnee. The food's pretty awful everywhere else.

http://www.yosemitelodging.com/
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 06:47 AM

I wouldn't say that the food is "awful" everywhere else in the valley besides the Awhannee. It isn't gourmet, but we aren't talking school cafeteria food either. The food is fine.
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 06:51 AM

How nearby? There's the Elderberry House in Oakhurst for five-star dining. Ducey's on the Lake in Bass Lake is nice for outside the park dining.

The Wawona Hotel has pretty good food. We like to dine out on their outside patio and the make really good salmon chowder there.

Also nearby with good food is the dining room at the Tenaya Lodge, we've had some excellent Easter brunches there. ***kim***
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 11:51 AM

My food experience was pretty good. We ate in the regular Lodge restaurant rather than the cafeteria place. This was in Sept so the crowds were lower and the food was good. DH had to be in Yosemite for more than 2+ weeks straight, unable to leave the valley for anything so he ate at the restaurant every meal and he never had a bad thing to say about it. I don't know what people order that is bad but we had nice meals of beef and salmon.
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 12:23 PM

Hey Suzie - I feel bad for your husband. How absolutely terrible to have to be in Yosemite Valley for 2+ weeks
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 08:29 AM

Having stayed there in 2003, I strongly recommend Yosemite Lodge for the best convenience and setting, and for your price range. We stayed there in the summer, and had to book about a year in advance. The extra cost is worth not having to drive in and out of the valley each day. You'll have several dining options close by...the food is "suitable". If you want to splurge, have dinner at The Ahwahnee (which has a dress code). It's a wonderful historic lodge, but, rooms are about $400+/night.

We stopped for lunch at Wawona Hotel on our way in to the valley, and thoroughly enjoyed it. It's on the way to the south park entrance. From Wawona, take the free shuttle to Mariposa Grove to walk through the giant redwoods. On your way into the valley, stop just beyond the tunnel for a magnificent view!