Search

Yosemite

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16th, 2010, 10:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yosemite

Hi , We have three nights in early September staying in Tenya Lodge , Two whole days, to experience the best of this area . It is our first time here , we have a car and are happy to walk short distances around 2 - 3 miles. Where should we go and what should we do in these two days to see the best ?
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 11:27 AM

I would start out early in the morning and see Mariposa Grove. Maybe have breakfast of lunch in Wawonna Hotel, or there is a good picnic area right in that area by the river. You can ride the tram through the grove or you can walk. See Grizzly Giant, California Tunnel, Faithful Couple, maybe Clothespin trees. Then that afternoon see the Valley from Glacier Point. There are some hikes that you can do there as well. Could have dinner at Wawonna Lodge, they have a bbq on the ground once per week as well.

Day Two--
Start out early
Head to Yosemite Valley. Stop at The Tunnel View(don't know if the waterfalls will be going in Sept or not). If the falls are going, see Bridal Veil and Yosemite Falls. You might want to have breakfast or lunch at Awahnee or Yosemite Lodge. Brunch is very good at The Awahnee on Sundays. You can hike in the Valley or you could drive the Tioga Road and see the sights there. Another consideration is Hetch Hetchy.

Definately see the Trees and The Valley.
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 11:35 AM

Day One -- park in the Valley near a shuttle stop. Ride the shuttle around, stopping and getting off wherever you have an 'OMG!' moment. Since Yosemite Valley is one of the most awe-inspiring places in North America, this will be often. Take short hikes to the base of waterfalls.
End the day with a drive up to Glacier Point, and keep reminding yourself that you are NOT at an IMAX Theater -- you really ARE seeing what you think you are seeing!

Day Two -- drive up to Tuolomne Meadows, repeating what you did on Day One. Try to return before it gets dark, as these mountain roads are NOT designed for night driving for new-comers.

If you have never seen a sequoia, you may want to got to Mariposa Grove. Note that this will take several hours from the time you leave the Valley to the time you return.
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 11:59 AM

I think a good idea for first time visitors is the Valley Tram Tour - takes a couple hours, narrated by a park ranger, and gives you a good overview of Yosemite Valley and some background on the history of the park.
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 12:00 PM

You got excellent advise above. I fully agree with PaulRabe that you should make the drive to Tuolumen Meadowsand do some short hikes there. Lots of OMG moments on the road up there from the Valley if you've never been to Yosemite before. Enjoy.
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 01:16 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your replies , some very helpful information . Will update you on our return . Jo
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 03:57 PM

If you can, take the drive from Las Vegas through the eastern Sierra and then over Tioga Pass so you can see Tuolumne Meadows and the other sights on that road. Then the other 2 days you can visit the valley and the locations closer to Fish Camp.
Old Jul 17th, 2010, 08:31 AM

Great suggestions from eveyone. A favorite thing of mine to do seems obvious, but you don't see too many doing it. That is to get on one of the trails that follows the Merced River through the Valley and have yourself a nice flat walk with ever changing views of the Valley as you go. Walk for a hundred yards, stop, look up. Walk for another hundred yards, stop, look up and the feature you noticed before will have changed into something completely different and you'll see something else. Turn around and look. Keep walking...and so on. There are several meadows that you will come upon that have open views to the cliffs above. Leidig Meadow is a famous one and and an awesome place to get 360 degree views of the Valley while standing in the center of it. I often see deer in the more forested parts while doing this sort of walk. It is a nice way to have a relaxing morning or late afternoon in the Valley.
Old Jul 17th, 2010, 10:25 AM

iamq - Great suggestion. That is one of my favorite things to do too, but I always neglect to mention it.