yosemite park

Mar 2nd, 2009, 07:20 PM
mgg
Original Poster

yosemite park

We want to view the main sites in Yosemite, but are too old to hike, climb, kayak, etc. We will be in a car, stopping for photos. How long should we plan on staying in the Park? Would one full day do? What about Teneya Lodge v. Ahwahnee?
Mar 2nd, 2009, 07:36 PM

If that's all you can do, then I would think one day would be fine.

The Ahwahnee Hotel is right in Yosemite Valley, and would be a great place to stay. Tenaya Lodge is between Fish Camp and the park's southern entrance. From there it's at least 45 minutes to the Valley.

Lee Ann
Mar 2nd, 2009, 08:19 PM

You might want to consider a night in the Valley. If the Ahwahnee is in your price range, that would be my choice. I've stayed at teh Teneya Lodge (and at Apple Tree Inn next door, which I enjoyed more). but that is about 45 minutes from the valley floor. So - Awhwahnee would be wonderful, and Yosemite Lodge next choice, to avoid drive times. When we get the change to go (from Florida), we always at least stop for a glass of wine and an appetizer at Awhwanee.
Mar 2nd, 2009, 08:20 PM

Ok - please pardon the typos. I really miss the "Preview" option...
Mar 2nd, 2009, 09:06 PM

You don't need to hike to see some of the sights in Yosemite, but you will need to walk some. Yosemite Falls is one such sight with paved walkways leading to its base. Glacier Point is another one. You probably could also walk to Mirror lake. The valley floor is very flat, so walking is not a problem.
Mar 2nd, 2009, 09:08 PM

You might consider 2 nights. There is plenty to see even for those who don't hike. It also depends on what time of year you go to Yosemite.

If you have just 1 day then visit the valley. Stop in at the visitor center and the Yosemite Museum. Take a tour.

Take a look at the Yosemite Guide from last summer. Page 11 has ideas for a short 1, 2 or 3 day visits. Page 12 lists the places to see in the valley. When you get to Yosemite you'll get the guide that's appropriate for your time of year.
Mar 2nd, 2009, 09:08 PM

Oops I forgot teh link to the guide!

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/upload/yg08-1.pdf
Mar 3rd, 2009, 06:01 AM
mgg
Original Poster

Thank you all for responding. The Yosemite Guide is especially helpful in determining our route and timing.
Mar 3rd, 2009, 08:48 AM

Another vote for staying at least one night, ideally in the Valley, and taking a tour from the Valley.

I took my mom to Yosemite a couple of years ago when she was 83. She wasn't able to hike, etc. either, but we had a wonderful trip and spent a lot of time just gazing at views. We had a little picnic at Glacier Point, and at Tenaya Lake.

Also, keep in mind that the roads throughout the Park are two-lane and twisty so you can't go very fast. There are lots of stopping places, and I'd urge to you to take advantage of as many as you can. It's amazing what you can see, and one advantage of taking a tour is that you can look around without simultaneously crashing your car! LOL!
Mar 3rd, 2009, 11:03 AM

I'd stay in the Ahwannee if your budget allows - beautiful place, right in the Valley. Even though you can't hike, etc. I would plan 3 nights there if you can. Two nights would be ok, but there is a lot to see, esspecially if you want to check out Glacier Point and Mariposa Grove in addition to Yosemite Valley. Yosemite is a spectactular place and you want to make sure you allow yourself time to just soak it up.
Mar 3rd, 2009, 11:52 AM
lvk

We were in Yosemite for a few days with my in-laws, when my FIL was recovering from a stroke, so he was not very mobile. We stayed at the Tenaya Lodge and did not find the drive into the valley very difficult. We took the Valley-floor tram tour, the Mariposa Grove tram tour, (the narration on both these tours was very interesting), a drive up to Glacier Point, lunch and a stroll around Pioneer Village at Wawona, and even a guided horseback ride from the stables near the Tenaya Lodge.

I agree with the others, allow at least two nights. We were there in May and the waterfalls were just gushing. We saw them well for the tram, so didn't feel the need to hike to them.
Mar 3rd, 2009, 12:03 PM

We 'did' Yosemite in one day. Our touring style is similar to yours...no serious hiking. Walking to Yosemite Falls was the most strenuous thing we did. We were there in late June and arranged to be at the visitor's center just as it opened. We even parked right at the front door! We took the valley tour, had lunch, 'browsed' around the valley floor (including a stop at Ahwahnee Hotel just to look around) on our own, then drove to Glacier Point. From there we exited the park via Mariposa Grove with a lengthy stop there before heading out to Fresno where we spent the night. We were on our way to Sequoia. It worked well for us.