Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Yosemite in September for older couple - where to stay?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12th, 2018, 07:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are in our seventies - celebrating our 25th anniversary. Looking for a small but clean place to stay either in or near the park -any suggestions are appreciated. Spending 3 night at Yosemite. Thanks.
Old Mar 12th, 2018, 09:06 AM

would help if knew your price range?
and mobility issues...
Feel years ago I stayed in "Camp Curry" --have "tent" cabins but also adjacent building with rooms like "motels'
Also might help you"googled' Yosemite lodgings"
Old Mar 12th, 2018, 12:00 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Without a budget impossible to offer suggestions. 'Near' the park is difficult since YNP is the size of Rhode Island and one can be very near the park and still hours from Yosemite Valley.

If budget is not an issue -- The Majestic ('real' name the Ahwahnee) hands down! But it is very expensive. It is a beautiful, historic bldg with excellent service and amazing views and an absolutely gorgeous dining room.

Next down the list is Yosemite Valley Lodge (Yosemite Lodge at the Falls).

Camp Curry is now called Half Dome Village (all these stoooopid new names are due to a legal dispute between the previous contractor and the Park Service) would not be my first choice but at least it is in the Valley.

Then JUST outside the park and very close to the Valley is Yosemite View Lodge.

Or there are condos/cabins in Foresta and Yosemite West which are also very close. Every other location will be 1 to 2+ hours drive from the Valley floor.

None of the above are 'small' . . . except the individual cabin option.
Old Mar 12th, 2018, 04:31 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
It would also be helpful to know which direction will you be coming from.....
Old Mar 12th, 2018, 05:28 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I just tried a random 3 night stay mid-week in late September, and only Big Trees Lodge ($145-$200) and Half Dome Village ($163) came up with in-park openings. Yosemite View Lodge in Merced ($234 river view) is still showing rooms available. But that might be a deciding factor for advance reservations in or near the park.
Old Mar 12th, 2018, 05:39 PM

>> Yosemite View Lodge in Merced ($234 river view) is still showing rooms available.
Old Mar 12th, 2018, 05:56 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by janisj
Huh -- it is not in or near Merced!!!! It is nearly 2 hours from Merced. it is in El Portal.
Ooops, I knew that, we stayed there last year. I had Merced River on the brain.
Old Mar 12th, 2018, 06:12 PM

LOL. - glad that's cleared up . . .
Old Mar 12th, 2018, 08:17 PM

We love the Blackberry Inn which is between Groveland and Yosemite Valley. It’s a lovely property, they will pack a lunch for you and it’s a pleasant drive to the park. If it’s in your budget, it’s a wonderful value and would be my pick for an anniversary.
Old Mar 13th, 2018, 05:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info ...sorry should have mentioned $300/night tops, flying into San Francisco from East coast. Book-ending trip with visits to Carmel and a few days in SF.
Old Mar 13th, 2018, 05:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info ...sorry should have mentioned $300/night tops, flying into San Francisco from East coast. Book-ending trip with visits to Carmel and a few days in SF. Thanks.
Old Mar 13th, 2018, 05:53 AM
Original Poster

We are coming from SF - flying there from the East coast - after Yosemite heading to Carmel and Monterey
Old Mar 13th, 2018, 09:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the info - after lots of research we are going to splurge and stay at the Blackberry Inn. Just spoke to the owner and he was very helpful.
Is there anywhere decent in the park for a good sandwich or salad for lunch or dinner?
Old Mar 13th, 2018, 09:52 AM

You will like the Blackberry - I've stayed there a couple of times. It is a little over an hour's drive to Yosemite Village though.

There are lots of places to eat in the Valley - you won't go hungry. But it mostly depends where are at lunch time since the shuttles from one area to another are slow. You don't want to be driving around in the Valley much because traffic can be bad and parking is limited/spread out. So drive in, park the car and use the shuttles to get around. Do you just want a sandwich or a full meal or a splurge meal in iconic surroundings?
Old Mar 13th, 2018, 04:28 PM
J62

We did a similar trip this past September and stayed right in the valley at Yosemite Lodge. When we checked in there were rooms available for same day walk ins, so while you can't count on that do be sure to check back before your Blackberry cancellation window closes. There is no comparison to staying right in the valley as you can come and go throughout the day as you please. One hr away does not afford that option.
Old Mar 13th, 2018, 04:44 PM

>>There is no comparison to staying right in the valley as you can come and go throughout the day as you please. One hr away does not afford that option.
Old Mar 14th, 2018, 11:12 AM

Other than the dining room at the Majestic, there isn't anything in the park that's worth making plans for and even that's questionable. It's a grand room and the food is a step up from the other options. If you're just looking for something quick, most of the other food offerings will be similar in quality so I'd just eat wherever you happen to find yourselves.

Last edited by Patty; Mar 14th, 2018 at 11:17 AM.
Old Mar 15th, 2018, 07:48 PM

None of the food IN the Valley is great, and that includes the Ahwahnee. It's all food service food and I recommend having downloaded the hours of operation into your travel plans and being prepared to wait.
Old Jun 26th, 2018, 03:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks we chose Blackberry Inn and are excited about it
Old Jun 26th, 2018, 11:53 AM

I love the Majestic Hotel's dining room for the ambiance alone (and the food really is OK) if you are up for a bit of a splurge. You don't have to dress up for breakfast or lunch and I think being in the room with its lovely atmosphere and views is a treat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -