YNP & GTNP Savings Tips Please

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29th, 2005, 05:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Planning on traveling to Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons the end of next May. Wanted to get opinions on some small cash saving ideas. Was thinking of going straight into Jackson from the airport to take a quick look into town and wondered if it was a good idea to pick up snacks and bottled water in town. We hope to stay in one of the cabins at Colter Bay and know that they have a grocery store and supplies there. But wonder how much more we'll be paying to buy supplies there as opposed to in Jackson.
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 07:23 AM

The grocery stores in Jackson are on the south end of town. Actually there is just one major chain store. I think it is close to the intersection with the road that goes over to Teton Village. Don't give up and think you have missed it.

I find the stores in the parks to be pretty fare in their pricing. They could really stick it to you but don't. The only problem is they are pretty small with limited choices. If you're only picking up a few things, you aren't going to save that much but if you are looking for certain items, it would be worth your time.

If you are 62 or older, buying a Golden Age Passport costs you a one time $10 fee and then a lot of other things are half price. The entry fee for getting into the national park is $
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 07:33 AM

The grocery stores in Jackson are on the south end of town. Actually there is just one major chain store. I think it is close to the intersection with the road that goes over to Teton Village. Don't give up and think you have missed it.

I find the stores in the parks to be pretty fare in their pricing. They could really stick it to you but don't. The only problem is they are pretty small with limited choices. If you're only picking up a few things, you aren't going to save that much but if you are looking for certain items, it would be worth your time.

If you are 62 or older, buying a Golden Age Passport costs you a one time $10 fee and then a lot of other things are half price.

The entry fee for getting into the park is $20 for 7 days. It also gets you into Yellowstone so don't throw it away.

We just did an evening float on the Snake River with Triangle X Ranch. We did the trip with dinner before the trip. The buffet was good and only $10. I highly recommend it. Be sure to take your camera!

There's lots of hiking in the park that is free. The most popular is to take the ferry ($6 or $7) over to the falls and then hike on up to Inspiration Point. If you don't want to pay for the ferry, you can hike around Jenny Lake to the trail.

Walking around Jackson is fun and free as long as you don't buy anything!!
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 07:36 AM

Food in Yellowstone is lousy. The Hamilton stores have limited selection, and most of it is not very good other than canned goods.

Jackson does have one big grocery store that I have shopped in.

We usually get a styrofoam icechest and a bag of ice (or a block if I can find it) and use that for our trip.

The hotels in Yellowstone have dining rooms, but they are often booked in advance. The cafeterias strike me as overpriced and mediocre.

The above suggestions are good. I don't usually buy bottled water. Nothing wrong with the water supply in either park. It is not contaminated.
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 10:15 AM
Original Poster

Connie & Brookwood
Thanks for the great savings advice. Will defiantly buy the icechest in town. Will heed the Yellowstone food warnings. My friend is an extremely picky eater and would rather not have to put her through the grief of making her eat bad food because we have no other alternative.
Old Oct 30th, 2005, 07:17 PM

You may want to get two coolers, things inside the Park are expensive and what you will find at the stores is very limited. If you are flying into Jackson stop on the way back into town at the DQ, it will be on the right as you get into town, the Elk Refuge will be across to your left. There are several places to get supplies in the town of Jackson. The best is at the Albertsons Market located in a shopping center on the south end of town. The shopping center is located on the left side of the road across from the Texaco gas station at the intersection of Sr-22. Get what ever you will need for however long you plan on staying in the park. Food in park is nothing special and is limited to snack bars unless you want to go to one of the lodges. We always just pack our stuff in with us. You can throw a can of beans on the dash of your vehicles in the morning and by lunch it has warmed up enough to enjoy, natures microwave.
Old Oct 30th, 2005, 07:50 PM

We spent a fun 4th of July in tiny rustic cabins at Roosevelt Lodge and the lodge there had good bbq.
Old Oct 31st, 2005, 03:57 AM

We spent about a week and a half at GTNP and YNP this summer - ended up staying outside Parks because we could not plan far enough in advance.

A side benefit of staying outside Parks was that food was better and cheaper. At GTNP we stayed in condo at Teton Village - it had full kitchen and although we did not actually cook, we could have decent breakfast and pack lunches. In West Yellowstone and Gardiner stayed in suites with kitchenettes - one hotel had continental breakfast.

Our lodging cost less (since we would have needed 2 rooms in Parks) - in addition to food savings.

At other National Parks we have always stayed in Park - and I usually find it far superior to staying outside - but it is a cost-saving option.