Groceries in Yellowstone National Park?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25th, 2008, 06:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm putting the finishing touches on a last-minute two-week vacation to Yellowstone this August. The initial part of my vacation involves a 5-day wilderness horsepacking trip; originally I'd planned to stay in West Yellowstone after the trip, where I was going to buy groceries to fill up my cooler. I got lucky, though, and was able to get rooms in the park itself for the remainder of my vacation. I'll spend the first night after the horsepacking trip at Canyon. Does the general store there carry picnic-type foods such aas luncheon meats, bread, fruit, boxed juices, milk, etc? What about the other general stores on the park's lower loop? I'd hate to have to drive 14 miles out of my way to West Yellowstone just to buy food!
Old Jun 25th, 2008, 06:47 PM

The stores inside the park are expensive and are limited in what they have to offer... Jackson and Cody are the best to find a good grocery store. If you come across the Beartooth Highway then its Red Lodge. Next would be West Yellowstone and Gardiner.. Cooke City is even worse when it comes to supplies etc. We also plan on being in the Park this August our coolers well be well stocked prior to entering.
Old Jun 25th, 2008, 06:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, RedRock. I was afraid you were going to say that. Unfortunately I can't stock up prior to entering the park (except for canned goods). My car will be sitting at a trailhead for 5 days while I'm on the horsepacking trip, so I don't want anything in it that a bear might be able to smell. Looks like I may have to make the time for the 28-mile round trip into West Yellowstone if I don't like the selection I find when I check out the general store at Canyon.
Old Jun 26th, 2008, 04:05 AM
AlJ

They have fruit, sandwich meats, veggies and snacks. The selection isn't much. The sandwich meats are things like salami that area pre-packaged. You're correct to look it over and then decide. You may be surprised. Depends on how picky you are.

The drive to W. Yellowstone is kind of pretty, actually. We stopped to watch elk last year and saw a bald eagle nest.
Old Jun 26th, 2008, 07:05 PM

Maybe you could head over to Tower Junction area and drive Beartooth HWY to Red Lodge and then time it right and catch wildlife on the Lamar Valley on your return in the evening. This would be a lot of drving, but Beartooth would probably be worth it.
Old Jun 26th, 2008, 07:07 PM

Some of the General Stores contain different/more than others. I could find enough to make me happy in them.
Old Jun 27th, 2008, 10:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help, everyone! As my waistline will attest, I'm not too picky when it comes to food. I'll check out the selection at Canyon; if it turns out that I'll need to visit a real grocery store, I'll swing by West Yellowstone for a combined grocery shopping/laundry afternoon.
Old Jun 27th, 2008, 06:51 PM

There is a laundromat at Canyon.