Yellowstone

Oct 17th, 2005, 03:59 PM
Original Poster

Yellowstone

I would appreciate advice on selecting a place to stay inside yellowstone. We are two adults and two 9 year olds and we are going in June 2006.
Thank you
Oct 17th, 2005, 04:53 PM

The nicest accomodations are at the Lake Yellowstone Hotel. The Old Faithful Lodge is so beautiful and has such interesting architecture it is worth a stop. It is such fun to take a late night walk to watch the geysers by moonlight. I also like the hotel at Mammouth Hot Springs. Plan to reserve as early as possible. They go fast.
Oct 17th, 2005, 05:04 PM

Mamoth, Hot Springs accomodations were very rustic when we were there...don't expect fancy except in the restaurant! (Casual attire-ski suits,etc. in the winter), but rather expensive cuisine.
Oct 17th, 2005, 06:38 PM

I have to say that the dining room at the Yellowstone Hotel is lovely (nice young people from all over are servers), but the price for old, musty, out-of-date rooms is ridiculous. Ditto the Old Faithful Lodge (tho haven't stayed in the new/remodeled annex). I always suggest folks stay on the borders of the park,for example in Gardiner (better for scenery)or West Yellowstone(better for big range of dining options), in a reasonably priced modern motel. So, you drive an extra mile? Big deal, the scenery's great, and you can be all over the park late or early.
Oct 17th, 2005, 06:42 PM

Hi, the Old Faithful Lodge, is great. It's a beautiful location and easy to find. It is a little expensive and the rooms aren't made for much to do... but for everything else it's great. You'll love the lodge and all it's beauty.
Oct 17th, 2005, 11:03 PM

Yellowstone is a large park and I would highly recommend staying in 2 or 3 locations over a 4 or 6 day stay. The first time we went we spent a couple nights at the Old Faithful cabins, one night at Mammoth Hot Springs cabins and one night at Roosevelt Lodge cabins.

Utahtea
Oct 18th, 2005, 02:48 AM

I find the best way to stay is either Gardiner(1 mile from the north entrance or West Yellowstone (close to the West entrance)Inside the park its much to crowded and in 10 minutes you're inside the park from the above two locations. And much cheaper.Paul
Oct 18th, 2005, 04:06 AM
cd

We stayed in two different locations and found it best for seeing the whole Park. My favorite was Old Faithful Inn. I loved the location next to Old Faithful and so walkable with all the boardwalks. The Snow Lodge is next to Old Faithful Inn and would also be a good place to stay. The area is just beautiful and we found the food in the Old Faithful dining room to be very good.
Oct 18th, 2005, 04:11 AM

We were at Yellowstone and Grand Teton this summer (2 parents, 2 teenagers). Do not underestimate how big area is and how long it can take to drive shorter distances if you hit an "animal jam". Road inside Park is like a big figure 8 - so if you stay in one place you end up driving past the same places again and again (not always a bad thing - but time consuming).

We spent 7 nights for 2 Parks. Three nights near Jackson (Teton Village), 2 nights at West Yellowstone, 2 nights at Gardiner - all outside Park since we made arrangements late. This was a good balance for us as we got to spend time walking, viewing, vacationing rather than driving.
Oct 18th, 2005, 07:01 AM

I've been to the park tens of times over the years, and I think it is very easy to get around. Top half, or even one side of the park, then the bottom half, or other side--lots of options, no need to backtrack. The actual mileage isn't much at all. BE WARNED--with two 9 yr olds, a long day of sightseeing (oh no, another boardwalk around another hot pool of water?!) can be stressful, and there are no TVs, pools, or hot tubs at the in-park places. I say again, with kids, the best bet is a modern hotel with pool and tv, and fast food options. And the price (lodging, gas, food) is MUCH lower that way. Happy kids means happy adults.
Oct 18th, 2005, 09:13 AM

Sylvia, I strongly disagree with your blanket statement about traveling with children in Yellowstone. We have been to Yellowstone twice with two boys in that age range. We have stayed at the Canyon Lodge, Old Faithful Inn and The Old Faithful Snow Lodge. I recommend all three. The lack of a television and swimming pool was never an issue. With sightseeing all day and evening ranger programs there is not time to sit around and watch television. In addition, my boys have been fascinated at each stop whether it is another hot pool, geyser or paint pot. There is something unique at each & every stop. There are also numerous food options in the park that kids will enjoy.
Oct 18th, 2005, 10:09 AM

I agree with wtm003, kids don't need TV. We didn't have TV to watch while we were camping and we always camped once the boys arrived and we frequently took 4 week vacations...and no TV!

We went to Yellowstone 3 times as the boys were growing up and each time we spent 5 to 7 days in the park. They were not bored. Bring a deck of cards or one of those little pocket games and you can interact with the kids. Bring or buy books to read or just talk about what you did and saw that day.

Utahtea

Oct 19th, 2005, 05:54 PM

We were in the park this past Aug. and enjoyed 2 nights at the Snow Lodge western cabins. Very large clean rooms away from all the noise,and still close to geyser viewing. Great bargain we thought. Enjoyed our meals in the main Lodge, which always seemed very busy. We then moved onto the Mammoth Hot Spring cabins for 2 nights. Not quite as nice as the above, but we enjoyed our lawn & porch to sit on. Lots of elk in the area to view.
Oct 19th, 2005, 06:01 PM

oops, my last post got away before I finished...we had a single cabin with a rather large bathroom, and 2 beds, desk and chairs. Nice quite spot way in the back. Heard the elk out are window at night. We also ate at the lodge and fared fine. Our last 2 nights in the park were spent at Dunraven Lodge in the Canyon area. this was by far our favorite spot. Nice large room with 2 great beds, table & chairs overlooking the woods...we loved it here and wished we had stayed here the entire time. Lots of wildlife viewing in the area...it was also super quite in the building at all times. Never heard any noise or neighbors!
Oct 20th, 2005, 06:44 AM

I was just at Yellowstone last month. Old Faithful is gorgeous, but the entire lodge is under scaffolding for renovation as part of a huge project. If you don't want to stay amidst all the construction, you must still visit, it's amazing.

If you're not looking for luxury and want something more basic, we stayed in the Pioneer Cabins at Lake Lodge. Great location, too.
Oct 20th, 2005, 07:55 AM

Just for the record to those who chose to make personal retorts or comments toward individuals:
I made no "blanket" statement, and yes, we can all get along with no tv. Having done Yellowtone with toddlers, kids, teens, now young adults over 30 years, I stand by my statement that, depending on the children, and the time spent, a time unwinding in a pool or in front of the glowing tube can be good for everyone involved. AND, there's no doubt that the in-park accommodations are much more expensive, and the food options much more limited. So, hope my 60 yrs of experience helped you a little mcmars, and I certainly won't be back to read diatribes on self-righteous television bashers. Get a grip!
Oct 20th, 2005, 07:55 AM

gail and Bostongal - I am very interested in making this trip. As you are both from the Boston area as am I, I was wondering ifyou would mind sharing your transportation arrangements - ie what flights, to where, and the airfare if you don't mind. I have identified several appealing rentals on vrbo.com in Gardiner and West Yellowstone. Where do you fly into to get there and how far a drive is it from the airport to that area?
Oct 20th, 2005, 09:14 AM

To Sylvia3,

You said you didn't make a blanket statement...it sure sounded like that to me. You said & I quote:

"I say again, with kids, the best bet is a modern hotel with pool and tv, and fast food options"

And not all options in the park are more expensive. We camped and I guarentee you won't find anything cheaper any where near the park! Now I realize camping isn't for everyone. We did enjoy pools when the campgrounds had them, but as far as fast food....we hardly ever ate out at all because we prefered our own cooking.

Now, in my 54 years on earth, I only have 32 years of experience in traveling and maybe my views will change in the next 28....but I DOUBT it. I have one son that will soon be 30 and now we have been traveling with his wife and son.

Utahtea
Oct 20th, 2005, 09:50 AM

To Utah--why do you persist in singling me out?! I've camped lots, too--can't stand it. Cooking/cleaning up outdoors? Can't stand it. Never will again. I didn't offer YOU advice, OR critique your way of living or vacation, it's all personal taste, which I've made clear. The person asked about places to stay, not campgrounds specifically (BTW, there are no pools at campgrounds in Yellowstone, and tons of cheap campgrounds outside the park.) Many folks come from all over the world, not from neighboring states, and don't bring their camping gear with them.
Now, please waste no more space making personal commnents about me, and let it go.
Oct 20th, 2005, 01:47 PM

To Sylvia3,

I thought you were done and not going to read any more responses on the subject?

I responded because you were IMHO making a blanket remark about kids. I at least said, "I realize camping isn't for everyone". There was no need for you to defend your reasons for not camping. I for one am glad that camping isn't for everyone...it would make the campgrounds to crowded!

My comments about pools at campgrounds were regarding camping in general and not in Yellowstone. BTW, I know of several people who have brought their camping gear on airplanes and some who come from Europe that will buy it and turn around and sell it before returning home. Again...seems like a blanket statement about something you don't really know about.

It wasn't until a few of us remarked about your comments that you revealed it wasn't a blanket statement.

If you don't want to waste space on personal commnents and if you want to let it go...be my guest...don't respond to my post.

Utahtea

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO