Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Availability of groceries- Yellowstone/GNP area?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2002, 12:00 PM
Pat

We will be in Yellowstone/Cody/GTNP in July. We usually try to get a cooler and do lunches on the road so we don't have to pay restaurant prices, what are our grocery buying options? Best to go to a big store in Jackson before heading up to Yellowstone? Any ideas? Thanks for any input.

Old May 3rd, 2002, 12:14 PM
jpm

In Yellowstone there are Hamilton Stores that stock groceries - of course they are more expensive than what you could get outside the park.

I would stock up on non-perishables before heading into the park.

Old May 3rd, 2002, 04:01 PM
Connie

Actually I find the stores in Yellowstone to be pretty well stocked and very reasonable. After all you are pretty well a captive audience and they could really gouge you. I don't find that to be true at all.

The one thing they don't have a lot of is meat products like chicken and steak.

These are small stores so I would stop in Jackson and stock up. The problem is there are only a couple of grocery stores and they get really crowded. Try hitting it early in the day.

Old May 4th, 2002, 03:54 AM
Pat

Thanks! Exactly the info. I was looking for!

Old May 31st, 2002, 03:58 PM
no name

There's an Albertson's and Food Town in Jackson. They have everything!

Old May 31st, 2002, 06:37 PM
Bob Brown

I have been to Yellowstone quite a few times; in fact, I was there last June.
My experience is exactly like that described above. All I can do is support what has been said so far.

You will indeed find restaurant food in Yellowstone to be expensive. And reservations at Old Faithful Inn in the restaurant are hard to come by.

The Albertsons in Jackson is a big store, a real super market. You can also find grocery stores in West Yellowstone, but they are not quite as large as Albersons.

Old Jun 1st, 2002, 05:53 AM
ellen gr

If you somehow end up in West Yellowstone (altho try to stay IN the park), try Ernies Deli. We had the BEST subs we've EVER had. We packed them in our cooler in the morning and enjoyed them in Mammoth.....and the kids STILL talk about that lunch!

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 09:51 AM
anon

I concur...but if you want to sit down to a meal, the Cafeteria / restaurant at Colter Bay Village is great. Great food, reasonable prices, and great service!

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 08:33 AM
Bonnie

And be sure to get a Huckleberry ice cream cone at the snack shop in the Old Faithful Inn. It is also served in many of the parks nicer restaurnats as a dessert option.

Old Jun 16th, 2002, 01:35 PM
kay

We flew in through West Yellowstone and stopped in a small grocery there. The selection was much better than in the Hamilton Stores in the park, but the prices were about the same. Really surprised me. We went out the NE entrance to Cooke City and bought a few provisions in the small General Store that is on the National Register. The selection and prices were about the same as Hamilton, but the original fixtures and photos made the stop fun.