Yikes - Itinerary Snafu - advice needed!

Old Jan 2nd, 2018, 03:16 PM
Original Poster

Yikes - Itinerary Snafu - advice needed!

I'm hoping you Hawaii experts might help me navigate an itinerary headache -

Background: Honeymoon in Hawaii in late Jan/early Feb (coming from Paris - so likely wont be going back anytime soon.) Booked 5 nights in Maui, followed by 4 in Kauai. Condo booked in Lahaina and hotel resort in Poipu. Just managed to snag more vacay time from work and extend trip by 3 nights on back end (yay!) but only AFTER inter-island flight and accommodations were booked!

Dilemma: We now have 5 nights/4.5 days in Maui and 7 nights in Kauai. We can't extend current accommodation in either existing hotel, and they are non-cancellable. So either way, we'll have to move properties.

Questions:
1) Should we add nights to Maui or stay longer in Kauai? Adding to Maui means an extra $100 in airline change fees. It won't break the bank, but for an extra two nights, would it make a big difference? We're interested in hiking, snorkeling, relaxing by beach in Maui.
2) If we don't add time in Maui - where on Kauai should we spend our additional three days? Hotels are so booked up now, we're struggling to choose between limited options in several locations. We're hoping to do a helicopter ride, hiking, exploring, more relaxing. Should we move from Poipu to Princeville, Lihue, anywhere you recommend? We chose Poipu for weather reasons...but we're open to suggestions.

Would appreciate any recommendations!
Old Jan 2nd, 2018, 03:37 PM

DW and I are headed to Maui in May. We booked in Kihei in a condo. There is a big Vacation Rental Management company called RentalsMaui.com Check with Kathy Englert and she can tell you if there is anything available for your extra 2 days or if you should plan on heading to Kaua'i.
The best I could do for a rental car on Maui was a local company called Kimo's. They rent older cars which is OK with me.
Old Jan 3rd, 2018, 08:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks tomfuller - I'll check them out if we make the change.

The big question now is if we make the change to spend the extra days in Maui or keep them in Kauai...Would it be short-changing Maui to spend only 5 nights there, but have 7 in Kauai?

I've never been to either - so can't imagine if having extra two nights in one versus another would have more impact.

Help please!