"hanging out" in San Francisco

Old Dec 27th, 2017, 05:10 AM
Original Poster

"hanging out" in San Francisco

I am looking for a place to meet up with another couple and just "hang out" (play cards) for several hours. Neither couple will be staying in San Francisco for the night - one couple is driving in for the day, my husband and I are stopping there on a cruise. We will have a meal together, lunch or dinner, but would also like to relax, chat and play some cards for probably another two or three hours. We have all seen the major sights of this lovely city. We could buy some drinks (coffees or adult beverages) do people hang out like this in Starbucks? Looking for a place in the main part of the city - usig public transportation would be OK to travel away from the pier. Thanks for any input!
Old Dec 27th, 2017, 07:39 AM

Maybe ride a ferry or two. http://sanfranciscobayferry.com/
Maybe Angel Island?
Old Dec 27th, 2017, 08:10 AM

Yes, people hang out in coffee shops all day it seems. Usually with laptops, not cards, but still hours on end.
Old Dec 27th, 2017, 09:55 AM

How would Angel Island let them hang out and play cards? There is a small cafe but that would be a lot of hassle.

Coffe shops (not just Starbucks) would be fine.
Old Dec 27th, 2017, 10:09 AM

We were in a similar situation having been to SF several times and then stopping on a cruise. We decided to take a ship's tour of Sonoma and the wineries. Had a pleasant day and had lunch in the vineyards. Something different.
Old Dec 27th, 2017, 10:39 AM

You can hang out at Starbucks without any pressure to move along or buy more drinks, but the problem I see is finding one with the right size table/enough chairs for playing cards--that would be catch as catch can.

I have another idea: a brewery. Breweries usually have board games available for use, and large tables like picnic tables, so hanging out is encouraged.

The only brewery near SF that I'm personally familiar with is Lagunitas in Petaluma. If that's too much of a haul, you could just google breweries in and around SF and see what pops up.

Good luck!
Old Dec 27th, 2017, 10:41 AM

OK -- I must be missing something??? The OP very clearly (I thought) says they want to meet up and socialize with friends driving in to SF for the day.
Old Dec 27th, 2017, 08:30 PM

Depending on the day (i.e. non-holiday, weekdays, etc.), there are a number of places I could recommend either on Union or on Chestnut Street -- the Cow Hollow/Marina area. If you are near the pier, take the number 30 MUNI right there to Chestnut. An easy walk up to Union as well.
Old Dec 28th, 2017, 10:45 AM

I don't know about card playing, that may seem too much like you are moving in, but when I had this situation in one city where I had to meet up with some relatives but we had some time to kill before going elsewhere, we met in the lobby of a nice big hotel. It was one known for having a very large lounge area, very clubby-like. But it was also such a large hotel they wouldn't really know if we were guests or not. You could buy refreshments from the bar there, also.

maybe there's something like that? I might forget the cards though.
Old Dec 28th, 2017, 11:03 AM

I see people playing board games in breweries/beer bars and coffee shops all the time--hotel lobbies, not so much.
Old Dec 28th, 2017, 11:34 AM

<do people hang out like this in Starbucks?>

Yes

Or better yet try an independent local coffee shop or bakery!
Old Dec 28th, 2017, 03:14 PM

>>><do people hang out like this in Starbucks?>
Old Jan 3rd, 2018, 10:36 AM
SAB

I would try for the lobby of a larger hotel, maybe the Hyatt Embarcadero for example. I have played cards in the hotel lobbies where I have stayed with friends all over the world. Typically we order drinks (alcohol or non) and sit and play cards as it is usually more comfortable than doing so in the room in most cases. I don't ever recall anyone asking if we were guests or making any comment whatsoever.