Need an Itinerary Near San Francisco

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 26th, 2008, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am taking my mother to San Francisco for a week in early July. We fly into San Francisco and want her to see the best sites! Any input on a great itinerary within an hour or two near San Francisco? She is 72 and is adventurous and has never been "out west!" Loves wine and flowers and scenery too. Thanks!!
Old May 26th, 2008, 05:40 PM

If you want to stay in the City I would suggest a hotel in Union Square area. We always stay at the Monico... very artsy and a good location. The Curran Theater is a block away, a really cool wholesale flower market is about 7 blocks away and SF is a great walking around city. If you are really, really into wine you could hire a car to take you to Napa or Sonoma for a day.
Old May 26th, 2008, 08:01 PM

Contact Platypus Tours www.platypustours.com
Take the passenger ferry from SF to Vallejo and arrange to have Don from Platypus pick you up at the fery terminal. He will provide an outstanding day of wine tours including a picnic lunch in the Napa Valley. Off the beaten path.

Take her to Golden Gate Park in SF - lots to see there, including House of Flowers.

Visit University of California at Berkeley. The campus is gorgeous and they have a wonderful botanical garden as well.
Old May 26th, 2008, 08:08 PM

I love San Francisco! Sonoma is closer and a real treat!! You can take a tour there and also to Muir Woods to see the giant redwoods.This was maybe an hour away!! Alcatraz was very interesting!!! It is a self guided tour using recorders. Of course you have to go to Fisherman's wharf to enjoy clam chowder. Then there is the Golden Gate Bridge! I highly recommend taking a city bus tour!! Have fun!!!!
Old May 26th, 2008, 08:16 PM

I just took my mother in law to see the gardens at Filoli, in Woodside, 30 miles south of SF. Fabulous if you enjoy gardens. http://www.filoli.org/
Old May 26th, 2008, 09:27 PM

Hi cawithma, I imagine you and your mother would enjoy visiting the historic Ferry Bldg. at the end of Market St. You could catch the F Line trolly on Market and get off at the end of Market. Lots of shops, flowers, restaurants etc. and the the very large plaza in the back of the Ferry Bldg. has benches etc., where your mother could sit and enjoy looking at the SF Bay and watching the ferries come in and out. One of the ferry company's is the Vallejo one that elnap mentioned. Actually I think elnap has a good suggestion and you and your mother would have an hour ride on the ferry which would give her some idea of the East Bay coastline etc. and the SF Bay and San Pablo Bay. And of course the Napa Valley. If you do that sit on the starboard (right) side of the ferry going to Vallejo and again on the starboard side coming back to SF. And have a beautiful mother and daughter trip.
Old May 27th, 2008, 05:08 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the great ideas! I am excited to take her and want to make the most of our trip. Have a great week.
Old May 27th, 2008, 06:15 PM

The best view of the San Francisco Bay area is from high above the UC-Berkeley campus. Take Telegraph Ave through the campus and follow the signs to the Lawrence Hall of Science.

On a clear day the view is awesome and there is a few things to see around the buildings atop the ridge.

The other pretty cool place is go out to Treasure Island visit the musuem have lunch at the former Naval Officer's Club then watch the sunset over the city. This was the site of the World's Fair back in the 1930's (I think).

If you plan it correctly go to UC-B and then hit Treasure Island on the way back into the city.

You can also take the commuter ferry over to Larkspar, which is a great sail across the bay, past Alcatraz, and San Quentin Prison.

Then take the footbridge over to the shopping area and have lunch. Walk back to the ferry terminal and sail back to SF. Poor man's bay cruise.

Old May 27th, 2008, 07:02 PM

I would definately take her by car to the Ferry building p/u a picnic then drive over the Golden GAte and turn left and visit the lighthouse (short paved walk and small bridge over the water) to the lighthouse & listen to the docents tell sea stories and to view the fabulous turbulant Pacific ocean and the ships sailing under the Golden Gate bridge.

Then continuing on a short distance have a picnic (sour dough bread and other Lulu delights from teh Ferry Building) on Rodeo Beach (I like to go on Sundays and read the Sunday paper with the roar of the waves and sea birds and look at teh wild flowers.) Be sure to wear sturdy shoes and a wind breaker.

Continue on & have dinner in Sausilito and view the wonderful San Francisco Bay sights and lights by night...then drive back over the bridge...

On another day go shopping in Union Square Gumps etc...Have dinner at Cafe Expresso and watch the Cable car go by... be sure to go to a play..get 1/2 off tickets at the ticket booth in Union Square

Cafe Mocca (cash only) is a great place to hae lunch outside...the seafood salad is the best...

Best French food is Chapeau! ina far neighborhood but worth it if you like wine and real french food
Old May 28th, 2008, 08:31 AM

>>I would definately take her by car to the Ferry building p/u a picnic then drive over the Golden GAte and turn left and visit the lighthouse<<

Turn left?? How can you do that if you're heading north??

cawithma. I posted a very long "recommendations" list a couple of weeks ago. Do a search on "Stu Dudley" in this forum & try to find it.

Stu Dudley