Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

10 days in Maui or split between Kauai and Maui?

Apr 5th, 2005, 03:13 PM
Original Poster

We're going to Hawaii for our honeymoon in Aug and we have 10 days. We like a mixture of relaxing on the beach, outdoor activities like kyaking, a helecopter ride, and nice dinners.Do you recommend all 10 days in Maui or split 5 days in Maui and 5 days in Kaui? Thanks for your opinions!
Apr 5th, 2005, 03:19 PM
iceeu2

Well, the helicopter and kayaking is probably better on Kauai. But, it's your honeymoon and Maui is wonderful for a honeymoon. We went to Maui on our honeymoon...but now for the old folks, it's Kauai!

Apr 5th, 2005, 04:25 PM

Nothing for or against either island, but I'd rather pick one place and stay the entire 10 days, then have to up and move hotels/flights/islands midstream.
Apr 5th, 2005, 07:00 PM

If visiting Maui is a given and spending all 10 days on Kauai is not an option, then I would do the 5/5 split. Kauai is not to be missed. Congratulations on getting married.
-Bill
Apr 5th, 2005, 07:33 PM

I wonder if this is groundhog day and each of us is making the same argument as we have time after time to this popular question. With 10 days, mrlou and I would opt for a few nights in Hana or Lanai by ferry. No question, no discussion, we would simply do one or the other. There is so much to take in, why not really take it in while relaxing and being in love...then promise yourselves to return to Kauai by your 5th anniversary! I think the kayaking is better in Maui. Kauai is mostly river kayaking. Rather than split your time between Kauai and Maui, split it between areas of Maui or Maui and Lanai. Best wishes!
Apr 6th, 2005, 09:07 AM

I absolutely suggest splitting the trip. We spent 5 days on Kaui and then 6 on Maui in May and it was great. The trip between the islands is easy and they are so different and both wonderful. Not to be missed!
Apr 6th, 2005, 10:19 AM

We spent our honeymoon split between The Big Island (Kona), Maui and Kauai. I wouldn't have changed it at all. We were fortunate to have almost 3 weeks there...I orginally booked more time in Maui than I think I wanted once I was in Kauai. DO NOT MISS KAUAI!!! It is beautiful, lush and very very romantic. Go to Spounting Horn and be sure to spend some time at the Hilton in their pools and spa. The Beach House is wonderful for dinner and a perfect place to kiss as honeymooners do on the beach. Maui is great as well but busier. Much to do there, explore, hike and drive to unbelieve sites. Try a pinepple tour...sounds corny but actually it was intersting and fun. Congrats on the Big Event!