Search

Kauai or Maui?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13th, 2004, 08:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kauai or Maui?

3 couples are going to Hawaii in September for the first time. We'll probably be there for 8-9 days, with 3 days on Oahu and the rest of the time on either Kauai or Maui (or would it be worthwhile spending 2-3 days on Kauai and 2-3 days on Maui?). How would you characterize the difference between Kauai and Maui? I'm leaning towards Kauai and I know everyone has different personal preferences but for those who have been there I would like your opinions.
Old Jan 13th, 2004, 09:19 AM

Would NOT split it up between 3 islands. That's too much traveling and time spent at the airport in too short a period of a time. Choose one or the other - or just stay the whole time on Oahu (plenty to do there).

Ken
Old Jan 13th, 2004, 09:25 AM

The main difference between Maui and Kauai is night life - Maui has it, Kauai doesn't (or not as much, anyway). This is a topic that is endlessly debated, and there is lots of info comparing both islands if you do a search.
I agree it does not make sense to split your time between the two islands.
Old Jan 13th, 2004, 09:37 AM

Maui is just more cosmopolitan overall than Kauai. There's far more resorts, restaurants, etc. Kauai is more laid-back. It's also more lush and green and tropical than Maui, although both islands are tropical and beautiful.

If you are looking for rest, relaxation, nature--go to Kauai. If you're looking for a bit more civilization, or want a broader choice of accomodations, go to Maui. You'll have fun on either island.
Old Jan 13th, 2004, 02:42 PM

Is it silly to stay at two resorts, both of which are in Wailea during my honeymoon?

I'm thinking the 4S and Fairmont have all the resorts on the northwest side of Maui beat? Advice?
Old Jan 13th, 2004, 02:50 PM

Hey boundformaui,

Sounds silly to me. Why are you considering splitting the time?

P.S. I personally would recommend the 4S....spent the first half of my honeymoon last year there and loved it!
Old Jan 13th, 2004, 03:34 PM

hokie: MY opinion is to spend your time after Oahu on Kauai. Kauai is my favorite...hands down because I go to Hawaii to totally and completely decompress and Kauai has that magical mix of natural beauty, activity and laid-backness that make it happen for me. Having said all that, you really can't go wrong with either island. Pick one, stay the whole time you have after Oahu there and form your own opinion. Chances are you will love it and want to go back and explore the places you did not see the first itme. There are activities galore on both islands and there are relaxation and solitude opportunities galore on both islands. Maui has more choice in resorts and places to stay and has more in the way of night life than Kauai does. It seems like for first timers Oahu and Maui are the best bets. That at least has been my expereince. My first trip was to Oahu. Then to Oahu and Maui, then to Maui a half dozen times, then to the Big Island and most recently to Kauai. Pick up the Kauai and Maui Revealed books and read up on them. Have a great time.