Yellowstone National Park flooding

Old Jun 17th, 2022, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yellowstone National Park flooding

With the probability that the northwest area of Yellowstone will be closed for the remainder of the year due the flooding/ roads out; would even bother going there this year? Do you see a lot of wildlife (grizzlies/bison)in the southern are?
It’s over 1000 miles to drive there so we want to get the most out of this trip.
Old Jun 17th, 2022, 02:07 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
I do expect that after park officials have decided how much of the park can be made accesable to visitors, they will put daily limits on the number of vehicles or people admitted to the park. You might not be able to go into the park on the date that you wanted. You can decide if you want to visit Teton or other less visited parks depending on where you are coming from. If you think that you might be able to visit Yellowstone sometime 2 or three years from now, I would delay the long trip.
If you always wanted to visit western Montana, you might want to visit Glacier NP.
Old Jun 17th, 2022, 03:27 PM

Bison are everywhere in Yellowstone. On the southern loop the best places to try to spot grizzlies are Hayden Valley (between Canyon and Lake) and on the road heading east from Lake toward the east entrance. Were you planning to include Grand Teton? Wildlife viewing is very good there and I've had better luck with grizzlies in the Tetons than I have had in Yellowstone. Glacier NP is also very good for wildlife particularly on the east side. You need reservations to drive the Going to the Sun Rd in Glacier through September 11th. When were you planning to visit?

Old Jun 17th, 2022, 06:05 PM
Original Poster

[QUOTE=Patty;17373619]Bison are everywhere in Yellowstone. On the southern loop the best places to try to spot grizzlies are Hayden Valley (between Canyon and Lake) and on the road heading east from Lake toward the east entrance. Were you planning to include Grand Teton? Wildlife viewing is very good there and I've had better luck with grizzlies in the Tetons than I have had in Yellowstone. Glacier NP is also very good for wildlife particularly on the east side. You need reservations to drive the Going to the Sun Rd in Glacier through September 11th. When were you planning to visit? We are planning on being there in September.
Old Jun 18th, 2022, 11:47 AM

By September there might be more access than the southern loop. They're looking into the possibility of reopening part of the northern loop later in the season. That may or may not include access to Lamar Valley. The washed out sections of road are between Gardiner and Mammoth and also between Soda Butte and the northeast entrance.
Old Jun 22nd, 2022, 09:02 AM

Does anyone has information on the North side re-opening of the park?
Old Jun 22nd, 2022, 09:12 AM

The NPS posts information on this web site as well as their general Plan Your Visit link

https://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/index.htm

https://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvis...d-recovery.htm
Old Jun 22nd, 2022, 07:42 PM

Thank you so much mlgb!